The short lived hosting duties on Hockey Night in Canada for George Strombo

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Rick the Temp, clearly. And he'll go by that name.

If I had to guess the most obvious heir apparent, it might be David Amber - but more likely someone we haven't even seen yet.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I liked his casual voice. The mumbling was natural. I felt relaxed and chill when listening to his shows. He made for a good morning show host (one loathes those high energy morning guys, eh?).

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Good lord, I hope not. Burke is a train wreck with ZERO likability. I can't stand listening to him. I usually turn it off when he's on as he sounds like nothing more than an angry old man.

So, like Don Cherry?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if anyone has listened to damian abraham interviewing anyone, they would thank the gods for strombo.

but the greatest canadian public broadcaster of my generation remains, of course, sook yin lee. not even joking, killion.

Reactions: Killion

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Here’s the difference: Dave Hodge was the host of HNIC and Cherry’s original “Coach’s Corner” sidekick. After CBC fired Hodge, Ron Maclean took over both roles, but the ‘Ron and Don Show’ essentially made MacLean. He was the deferential sidekick who allowed Cherry to rant.

But when Strombo replaced MacLean, it was ONLY as HNIC host — MacLean remained Cherry’s sidekick on “Coach’s Corner.” Think about that: CBC wanted a new and different host (Strombo) but didn’t give him the kind of platform (Coach’s Corner) that created Ron MacLean’s star. In this respect, MacLean never left — his continued presence on Coach’s Corner would be akin to Johnny Carson delivering the opening monologue before every Jay Leno show. Gone but not really gone. Anyway, Strombo didn’t get the kind of vehicle MacLean had and viewers still got to see “the replaced guy” alongside Cherry every Saturday night.
Great point. Also I recomend taking a listen to that last Lede Podcast in which they interviewed Eliot Freideman and he has some very insightful view on why Strombo didn't last.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I loved Strombo and absolutely hate MacLean. And I'm about as big of a traditionalist as it gets.

I can't think of a TV personality I find more nauseating than MacLean. His fake-ass, name-dropping, schmaltzy, hokey, appeal-to-grandmas persona is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Strombo was great. It's weird that people label him a 'millennial MTV guy' because his whole style and demeanour is a throwback to hosts from the 50s/60s. Neutral, classy, well-spoken host who was a great interviewer and knew when to shut up and let the experts talk ... unlike MacLean who always comes off like he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Felt the whole production seemed so much more professional and big-league with Strombo at the helm.
I think you hit the nail on the head! Schmaltzy is the perfect word to describe him. He's about as phony as a 3 dollar bill. He's almost like our Chris Berman. In that the words that come out his mouth are English but after he's done talking I often find myself wondering what the hell did he just say.

Anyone remember his work on Battle of the Blades? Pretty cringe worthy stuff. Fairly safe to say Strombo wouldn't have done that!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
"felt.... American"?..... I wouldnt say that BC, most US Broadcasters have more sense than what Rogers tried to pull. US Broadcasters would not have recruited a host from the ranks of MTV, a VJ/DJ and installed him as "Host/Anchor"... and which by all accounts was done so on the recommendation/request of Gary Bettman who was a fan of Georges' having been a guest on his CBC chat show, enjoying his softball approach to questioning, conversation.

I'm not saying it's inconceivable that a US media company would try to install a guy whose only defining characteristics are tight pants and a silly haircut as host of a major sports program, but it's an idea that would be reversed inside of a month.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad