Movies: The Shape of Water (Guillermo Del Toro, Michael Shannon, Sally Hawkins)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Abe Sapien's origin movie????

giphy.gif

Down to the egg-eating and everything :sarcasm:

Looks cool nonetheless. Hard to pass up anything with GDT and Michael Shannon

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I absolutely loved Pan's Labyrinth, but none of Del Toro's projects since then have even interested me.

This one gets me really excited.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Hawkins getting lots of Best Actress nominee/possible win type of hype.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You didn't like pacific rim!?

The spectacle of the monster vs. robot battles were fantastic, but almost everything else about that movie was trash IMO. Lengthy sections of boring exposition and uninteresting character development, the comedy fell flat, and poor performances by the lead actors. The middle section of that movie was near unwatchable to me. I'm not someone who just says, "Why don't you just have 2 hours of monsters vs. robots?!?!?" as obviously you have to have something to spell that and keep it interesting, but Pacific Rim's non-action sequences were just so absolutely awful that it was tough to get through.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The spectacle of the monster vs. robot battles were fantastic, but almost everything else about that movie was trash IMO. Lengthy sections of boring exposition and uninteresting character development, the comedy fell flat, and poor performances by the lead actors. The middle section of that movie was near unwatchable to me. I'm not someone who just says, "Why don't you just have 2 hours of monsters vs. robots?!?!?" as obviously you have to have something to spell that and keep it interesting, but Pacific Rim's non-action sequences were just so absolutely awful that it was tough to get through.

I actually agree. That inspirational Idris Elba speech in all the trailers, boy was it ever cringeworthy actually seeing it play out in the movie.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

This post is 100% on point, although I'm not even as much in love with the action sequences.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My very first thought was ET for adults. But I will keep an open mind.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
John Carpenter and Del Toro are the only two people I trust in making Lovecraft films, them and the Lovecraft historical society.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This movie was absolutely beautiful. My favourite of the festival. Del Toro has created a stunning piece with this - ambitious, emotional, captivating, this is up there with Pans as his absolute best.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I can see why this one best director, but I think Lady Bird was a better movie. That's just me, though. Some of the acting in this was brilliant, between Hawkins, Jenkins, and Shannon. The only piece of the movie that took me out of it was...

The old-style dance scene between Elisa and the creature. It cut to that, and I was just like... why

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have to shamefully admit that having never actually seen a picture of Guillermo Del Torro until recently whenever I hear something like Benicio Del Torro is going to be in Guardians of the Galaxy/Star Wars I was always thinking it was the same person and damn is that guy ever talented!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad