News Article: The Senators are the worst-run Canadian NHL team.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Ruszowski has to be the most unlikable person ever employed by this organization.

I have only heard one interview with him (the one from a couple weeks ago where he said even if these guys are gone we have to spend to the floor. ) So that one interaction does not give me high hopes for him :D

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Without getting into specifics as to not reveal their identity, speaking with a current and two former employee's on the business side of the Sens confirmed to me that this team has been run as poorly as we all thought, the one quote that stuck out to me from my conversations was that "it's worse then people know"...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think so. This is not a rebuild! Melnyk is in liquidation mode and has been for several years. The Sens is the only business he has left, he's sold off or has been booted out of the other businesses. He's even closed Bert's Bar in Bardados.

Melnyk is doing to the Sens exactly what he has done with all his other companies: Melnyk buys company - Melnyk sues company (partners) - Melnyk destroys company - Repeat Cycle.

There is no credible hockey player that will ever want to play for the Sens as long as Melnyk owns the team. Who would? It's a dysfunctional disaster!

And please enough with your fan apathy crap, at least we're not sheep and we stand strong with our principles.
Who are the sheep?

You doubt his intentions behind the rebuild. I don't think it matters. The team wasn't winning with stars, just like it NYR and Toronto. So they have to draft new ones and develop them, which will take time.

I have seen the apathy firsthand. You basically signed up on this site right after he opened his mouth after the alumni game. It existed before then. Wow, so much passion here means the fans are still engaged and checked in, right? Right?

Yeah right.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Without getting into specifics as to not reveal their identity, speaking with a current and two former employee's on the business side of the Sens confirmed to me that this team has been run as poorly as we all thought, the one quote that stuck out to me from my conversations was that "it's worse then people know"...

Speaking as a former employee myself (not on the business side) who still knows people who did work on the business side, I can corroborate this - I hear the same things from guys I still know from the old days who are either still there or have recently left.

It's been like 8-9 years since I was there (so obviously grain of salt time with my anecdotes and limited view to the inside of the org), and it was "kinda bad, but not awful" back then... but everything I'm told over the past 2-3 years is that it's so much worse than when I was there.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Who are the sheep?

You doubt his intentions behind the rebuild. I don't think it matters. The team wasn't winning with stars, just like it NYR and Toronto. So they have to draft new ones and develop them, which will take time.

I have seen the apathy firsthand. You basically signed up on this site right after he opened his mouth after the alumni game. It existed before then. Wow, so much passion here means the fans are still engaged and checked in, right? Right?

Yeah right.

The fans have checked out - I totally agree. I'm happy! I want an empty building - damn right I do! Let's bankrupt the the 'effin loser - force him to sell! You disagree with me - that's fine. Don't care.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The fans have checked out - I totally agree. I'm happy! I want an empty building - damn right I do! Let's bankrupt the the 'effin loser - force him to sell! You disagree with me - that's fine. Don't care.
You are mixing things up. And it isn't about "caring". People can have discussions around here. Or put me on ignore if you don't care.

The building is empty. What are the ramifications of that? Nothing major, just dumping more salaries, so whatevs.

Bankrupt him, good luck with that on the heels of a successful (alleged) Lebreton mediation? How?

I want him gone, but he ain't going anywhere.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You are mixing things up. And it isn't about "caring". People can have discussions around here. Or put me on ignore if you don't care.

The building is empty. What are the ramifications of that? Nothing major, just dumping more salaries, so whatevs.

Bankrupt him, good luck with that on the heels of a successful (alleged) Lebreton mediation? How?

I think we should wait until the results of the mediation to make that assertion. Especially amidst that one report that indicated he could be relinquishing majority ownership by 2025.

He may not want to sell, but his franchise is about to be the peak value if the mediations are a success. Also, with a group that openly wants to purchase the club involved in mediations, you never know what they could be drumming up behind closed doors.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Have to agree with this. We get a contract/legal oriented AGM, then proceed to re-sign absolutely nobody.

Once again, proof that this team's short-sighted austerity measures are made without even the slightest hint of thinking long-term with this franchise, and predictably blowing up in their faces at the worst possible moments.

This franchise, man. It deserves every bad thing that happens to it. We are a carnival sideshow trying to pretend like we're in the big leagues.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017

I'll have any discussion with you. We're just at polar opposites as far our opinion goes. Nothing wrong with that. My problem with you is you sometimes tend to blame the fans for Melnyk's dysfunctional mess of an organization - just my opinion. It's also my opinion that Lebretton will never happen if Melnyk is involved -I've said that from Day 1 on my first post here. If the NCC hasn't learned their lesson with Melnyk then they're a more screwed up organization than the Sens if they agree to proceed with Melnyk. I won't put you on ignore, though. Why? You're entitled to your opinion and I'll battle it out with you from time to time. Nothing wrong with that, either.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
From a Winnipeg Jets fan:
The Ottawa Senators are not the worst run Canadian team in the NHL. Edmonton Oilers are MUCH worse when you consider they have McDavid, had a plethora of 1st overall picks and still are AWFUL! The Vancouver Canucks are worse run than the Ottawa Senators. They are lucky to hit on Boesser and Pettersson. Juolevi is still another year away since he got injured. It sucks having to rebuild, however, Ottawa has a lot of building blocks. If the Ottawa Senators 1st round pick this year end up dropping, the blow of losing it will be softened. I am hoping that the 1st overall pick isn't Colorado.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'll have any discussion with you. We're just at polar opposites as far our opinion goes. Nothing wrong with that. My problem with you is you sometimes tend to blame the fans for Melnyk's dysfunctional mess of an organization - just my opinion. It's also my opinion that Lebretton will never happen if Melnyk is involved -I've said that from Day 1 on my first post here. If the NCC hasn't learned their lesson with Melnyk then they're a more screwed up organization than the Sens if they agree to proceed with Melnyk. I won't put you on ignore, though. Why? You're entitled to your opinion and I'll battle it out with you from time to time. Nothing wrong with that, either.
I blame everyone. Everyone.

You don't have to get on board with that. That's cool, but everyone's opinion should be considered.

It is too bad that we do not have a sugar daddy for an owner. I would love one, who wouldn't? But he is not running this as his personal playtoy. He is running it like a business and damned if he loses his own money. That , in a nutshell, is the owner we are stuck with. It is f***ing gross. But that is what it is.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This is what they just did to the fanbase
giphy.gif

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
From a Winnipeg Jets fan:
The Ottawa Senators are not the worst run Canadian team in the NHL. Edmonton Oilers are MUCH worse when you consider they have McDavid, had a plethora of 1st overall picks and still are AWFUL! The Vancouver Canucks are worse run than the Ottawa Senators. They are lucky to hit on Boesser and Pettersson. Juolevi is still another year away since he got injured. It sucks having to rebuild, however, Ottawa has a lot of building blocks. If the Ottawa Senators 1st round pick this year end up dropping, the blow of losing it will be softened. I am hoping that the 1st overall pick isn't Colorado.
Oilers fan here, without mcdavid and draisaitl the oilers are by far the worst team in the last 20 years it’s embarrasing how bad we are with these two

Reactions: solidprospect

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Malnyk won't recover from this. He has completely damaged his relationship with the fans beyond repair. Melnyk will be forced to sell at some point, the fans have given up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad