News Article: The Senators are the worst-run Canadian NHL team.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
How sure are we of this? The dude is still so ****ing rich I bet he can drag out a budget team for a lot longer then we'd like with the arena way out in Kanata.

The key is how much debt he has and how much restrictions those debt obligations have on him. Melnyk seem like a spiteful fool who would run this team into the ground out of bitterness and contempt. But the people he owes money to can force his hand. Just like if people fail to make mortgage payments that the bank can step in and repossess the home, if melnyk misses key payments and looks like he will be unable to make certain payments in the short medium and long term then the people he owes money to will force a sale

Reactions: billpo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The key is how much debt he has and how much restrictions those debt obligations have on him. Melnyk seem like a spiteful fool who would run this team into the ground out of bitterness and contempt. But the people he owes money to can force his hand. Just like if people fail to make mortgage payments that the bank can step in and repossess the home, if melnyk misses key payments and looks like he will be unable to make certain payments in the short medium and long term then the people he owes money to will force a sale
I hope you're right, but if the Lebreton deal follows through, I can see him dragging out this poorly run team for quite a while.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Yep.

Rebuilds are just part of the cycle of being a hockey fan.

Instead of that, though, what we're doing is:
317.gif
There's no better picture that describes our situation where there's no accountability.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
See right now I see this as we're Hasek to Edmonton and Arizona's Roy /Brodeur.

Or we're Lemieux, while Edmonton is Gretzky and Arizona is Orr. And Florida is probably an Andreychuk/Bossy/Gartner/Francis (take your pick).

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
See right now I see this as we're Hasek to Edmonton and Arizona's Roy /Brodeur.

Or we're Lemieux, while Edmonton is Gretzky and Arizona is Orr. And Florida is probably an Andreychuk/Bossy/Gartner/Francis (take your pick).
Beers at the game eh? I don't blame you

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Currently after 59 games the Senators have 49 points. That translates to 68 points in 82 games. After the Senators trade Duchene, Stone and Dzingel, the projection looks worse.

The only thing the Senators are committed to doing is reducing costs. There is no commitment to putting a good team on the ice.

Imagine if the Leafs were to have traded away equivalent players: Reilly, Mathews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. There would be a revolt of fans in Toronto.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think we're gonna have to outlive melnyk here in Ottawa. Similar to the trash owners other teams have gone through. I'm early 40s and I intend to! Let's all do it!

Reactions: RaMai

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Boston fan coming in peace:

Hang in there, guys.
It has been a brutal couple of years for Ottawa fans. But you guys can take a punch.
You've got some good kids in the mix and will be getting more in the next few days.
The owner will sort himself out in a matter of time.
Don't let Melnyk sour your love for the team.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The owner will sort himself out in a matter of time.
Don't let Melnyk sour your love for the team.
While I appreciate the goodwill and kind words, the owner will not sort himself out and he's made that abundantly clear time and again.

And I can only speak for myself when I say that I considered myself a diehard Sens fan ever since I could walk... up until last year. This year, the apathy has crept in and I care about the players. But the team as a whole? I'm apathetic. I don't care. The team's not going to be competitive or anything remotely approaching entertaining as long as Melnyk's pulling the strings. Hockey is something I watch for enjoyment, a side hustle, a way to escape. If my escape is causing me stress, it's a bad escape.

So – much easier said than done. Melnyk has soured my love for the team, and that's a feeling I never would have dreamed possible as little as two years ago.

Reactions: NorthCoast

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
While I appreciate the goodwill and kind words, the owner will not sort himself out and he's made that abundantly clear time and again.

And I can only speak for myself when I say that I considered myself a diehard Sens fan ever since I could walk... up until last year. This year, the apathy has crept in and I care about the players. But the team as a whole? I'm apathetic. I don't care. The team's not going to be competitive or anything remotely approaching entertaining as long as Melnyk's pulling the strings. Hockey is something I watch for enjoyment, a side hustle, a way to escape. If my escape is causing me stress, it's a bad escape.

So – much easier said than done. Melnyk has soured my love for the team, and that's a feeling I never would have dreamed possible as little as two years ago.
Same, still would like to know what's EM's motivation.
It's not winning, or he would spend.
It's not because he's a hockey fan and would like to see the team doing well, or he would sell.
The only conclusion I come to is that he makes money, and not because the value of his asset is growing, more like an income stream.
Yet, the bots are telling us he's loosing money head over fist...brings me back to square one.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Not to compare miseries. But there was a time in Boston under Harry Sinden where the team was obviously more interested in making a profit than winning anything. We saw it as fans year in and out. Hard when you know players like Bourque and Neely deserve a cup and management won't go out there and fill team holes because of an internal budget. Being a Bruins fan in the 80s and 90s meant you had to be fine with making the playoffs because you were never going to be good enough to challenge for it all. We had one good shot in the finals with those players and that was it. Should have had more. It's hard to be a fan in those years.

When your owner is more a business man than a hockey fan it affects team decisions. By "sorting out" I mean Melnyk has not exactly made good business decisions in relation to the team, they will come back to bite him soon enough.

Fans are doing what they can. Don't buy tickets, don't buy merchandise. Continue to voice your dissent. Win the staring contest.

Reactions: Liliaceae

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
We would be getting 1st round picks back monday, but no shot at the pipe dream %18 chance of picking first overall.

We'll have to build around our current 1st round picks already here,whoever graduates over the next couple seasons, new draft picks. If none of these 3 free agents sign we'll definitely have a top 5 pick next season.
Lmao this is hilarious. So if someone came to you and gave you a lottery ticket with a 18% chance of winning the jackpot, you say those aren't good odds?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Ah yes, that key point in the rebuild when you ship out 26 year old All-Stars.

View attachment 189999

Bryce harper turned down 300 million from the nationals at age 26, sometimes their is only so much you can do, and it's best to trade your players that won't re-sign....like Tavares should have been moved from the Islanders, but i guess we should have kept them until the end of the season and even though yes, they are 26.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->