News Article: The Senators are the worst-run Canadian NHL team.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Well the oilers are better than us. We’re 31st.
That's not what they mean when they're talking about the worst run team, they're not talking about the standings, the Oilers have been in that spot many more times than us IF that was even important here and suddenly we're the worst run team after 1 year in 31st place?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That's not what they mean when they're talking about the worst run team, they're not talking about the standings, the Oilers have been in that spot many more times than us IF that was even important here and suddenly we're the worst run team after 1 year in 31st place?

Who really cares? Both teams are run horribly does it matter who is the worst of the worst?

Let’s say the Oilers are run more horribly for fun sake....okay? Yay go us.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Yes, because it's how the current management has run down this franchise from respectable to laughable in short amount of time. It takes a special level of ineptitude to do this. Hence the title.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It's funny that people think the oilers are better than us because they were able to draft macdavid, congrats to them for winning the lottery.
All the Oilers has to do is get rid of the boys club and they have a generational talent with league wide notoriety who can carry the team in lean years. The Ottawa Senators on the other hand...

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Yes, because it's how the current management has run down this franchise from respectable to laughable in short amount of time. It takes a special level of ineptitude to do this. Hence the title.
All teams go through rebuilds, most of our fans in certain places can't handle that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd just like to remind everyone that this is the management team that gave their best player a 1-year deal with only 1 year left to UFA, not even buying a SINGLE YEAR of UFA eligibility, which is the most insane thing I have ever heard of as far as negotiating star contracts is concerned, and then on the eve of having to trade him away because of that insanely awful decision, we can remember how they said that they were "real close to signing him to a long-term deal"... but instead chose to go with a 1-year contract.

Reactions: Deku

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I disagree. Most fans can handle a rebuild, IF it's done correctly. The holy trinity of stupidity is NOT doing it correctly.

Yep.

Rebuilds are just part of the cycle of being a hockey fan.

Instead of that, though, what we're doing is:
317.gif

Reactions: RAFI BOMB and Deku

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Hey how u rebuld with no first pick hmmmmmmmmm?
We would be getting 1st round picks back monday, but no shot at the pipe dream %18 chance of picking first overall.

We'll have to build around our current 1st round picks already here,whoever graduates over the next couple seasons, new draft picks. If none of these 3 free agents sign we'll definitely have a top 5 pick next season.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
We would be getting 1st round picks back monday, but no shot at the pipe dream %18 chance of picking first overall.

We'll have to build around our current 1st round picks already here,whoever graduates over the next couple seasons, new draft picks. If none of these 3 free agents sign we'll definitely have a top 5 pick next season.
And just think of all the glorious spending to reach the cap floor!

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The lebreton deal deadline is February 28th. If the Senators trade all key players at the deadline this fan base will give up on this team and attendance will drop substantially . If the lebreton deal falls through then melnyk will be screwed. He won't be generating revenue from ticket sales and won't be able to expect much revenue for the rest of the season. Losing the lebreton bid will also put pressure on him and remove the possibility of his financial position improving any time soon. Then that lawsuit against him will likely continue.

So while this will really suck for us fans, there is actually a chance that melnyk can destroy himself by the end of next week. By next weekend we might be able to know that melnyk is completely screwed. Sure he will complain to the league and beg for a relocation but the league won't grant it. Then melnyk will be forced to sell for a massive discount. Then we get a new owner.

It seems like melnyk is banking on a lot going his way to have success here. From what I said above, a lot can go wrong and a lot can lead to him being forced to sell. He may have finally painted himself into a corner. There is no deus ex machina to save him. He will be responsible for his own downfall

Reactions: Yak

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
It sucks but it's true. Ottawa has been a pretty respectable team up until the last few seasons. I know we havent won a cup we've remained competitive for quite a while with a few decent playoff pushes. This is all coming to an end and we will be terrible for more then the foreseeable future. No disrespect to some of the nice young pieces we have but they are no way going to be able to be better then a bottom place team until some more high end talent comes around.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The lebreton deal deadline is February 28th. If the Senators trade all key players at the deadline this fan base will give up on this team and attendance will drop substantially . If the lebreton deal falls through then melnyk will be screwed. He won't be generating revenue from ticket sales and won't be able to expect much revenue for the rest of the season. Losing the lebreton bid will also put pressure on him and remove the possibility of his financial position 8mproving any time soon. Then that lawsuit against him will likely continue.

So while this will really suck for us fans, there is actually a chance that melnyk can destroy himself by the end of next week. By next weekend we might be able to know that melnyk is completely screwed. Sure he will complain to the league and beg for a relocation but the league won't grant it. Then melnyk will be forced to sell for a massive discount. Then we get a new owner.

It seems like melnyk is banking on a lot going his way to have success here. From what I said above, a lot can go wrong and a lot can lead to him being forced to sell. He may have finally painted himself into a corner. There is no deus ex machina to save him. He will be responsible for his own downfall
How sure are we of this? The dude is still so f***ing rich I bet he can drag out a budget team for a lot longer then we'd like with the arena way out in Kanata.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Is he that stubborn though? I think he'll cut his losses.
That stubborn? He may be the most stubborn person in the world. Also, it is a revenue sharing league. With him running a salary floor team I have my doubts he's burning through his millions that fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad