OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
love your Party of Helicopters avatar, Zen. great band, totally ripped live. I think I saw them about 5 times since they always played Pittsburgh. my friend put out probably my favorite record of theirs (The First Two Years of Conquering the Tundra). as a bassist I always loved watching that dude.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I wonder if Keith Morris is still rocking the dreads.

I don't think the Evens do any Minor Threat covers, I don't think Ian covers his old bands in general. Although, Ian did do a set with Henry Rollins on Rollins' 50th birthday, so I think he can probably still hang vocally.

It's weird to see how Ian has aged, but generally looks like the same dude, whereas Jeff Nelson is totally unrecognizable and looks like a history teacher or something.

Also, I didn't even know that Pennywise show was happening when it did. Otherwise, I might have gone for nostalgic value, that was one of the bands I grew up listening to. 14 year old me would kick my ass if he knew I missed out on that.

Keith Morris is still rocking the dreads, although from the last vid I've seen they're starting to thin out(!) Speaking of out!, might be one of my favorite cds that I've downloaded in the last year.

Saw a pic of Ian from earlier this year and aside from not shaving his head regularly, he doesn't look much different from his fugazi days (and +1 for Android for autocorrecting fugazi)

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Top-5 Bands/Artists
Pink Floyd
Megadeth
Styx
Rush
Van Halen

Top-5 Albums
Bad Company - Bad Company
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Top-5 Songs
Jesus, I don't know. My favorite song of all time is Layla. I'd probably put Shine On You Crazy Diamond up there too.

Best Concert You've Ever Been To
Any Styx concert. Every time I see them they're great.

Last Concert You Went To
Bad Company and Lynyrd Skynyrd

Worst Concert You've Ever Been To
Poison and Def Leppard last year. My God was Def Leppard boring.

Biggest Concert Dissappointment
As much as it pains me to say it, Rush last year was pretty bad. They played all kinds of obscure stuff and they played their entire boring ass new album in its entirety before finishing with maybe 3 or 4 of the good songs.

Artist you'd most like to meet/drink with
I'll say David Gilmour too.

Band that you'd love to see in concert but it can never happen
Pink Floyd. Man, what a horrible way they went out. I missed Roger Waters' "The Wall" tour that came through last year and I'll never forgive myself for that.

Styles of Music
Lots of classic rock and older metal.

Styles you don't listen to
Country. Just makes me want to kill myself.

Desert Island Album (you get 1 album for eternity)
Wish You Were Here. Just an all around great album.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Top-5 Bands/Artists
Pink Floyd
Megadeth
Styx
Rush
Van Halen

Top-5 Albums
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

I just picked up Animals that I hadn't heard for probably 20 years and heard it for the first time ever not under the influence of something...Seriously underrated IMHO.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Jeff Nelson is totally unrecognizable and looks like a history teacher or something.

JeffNelson2.jpg

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Crafton, 8 Miles High was released on an EP along with Makes No Sense At All. It's still for sale on Amazon, I think.

On the contrary, the "Eight Miles High" single was released on CD and 10" with the "Makes No Sense at All" single back in the early '90s. It's still available through Amazon. You have to fork over something like $10 (if you opt for the CD) for four tracks and "Makes No Sense at All" is identical to the album version as far as I know. But still!

thanks for the info guys! i'm not even sure why i asked, but somehow it comforts me to know good stuff is still available through legitimate means (even if that's not the avenue i usually utilize). if i see it while ambling into Amoeba or a Rasputin's then i'll pick it up.

might as well post the youtube...

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
love your Party of Helicopters avatar, Zen. great band, totally ripped live. I think I saw them about 5 times since they always played Pittsburgh. my friend put out probably my favorite record of theirs (The First Two Years of Conquering the Tundra). as a bassist I always loved watching that dude.

That's pretty awesome, I didn't know if anyone would know what my avatar is.

I was working every time they came here, which is unfortunately the story for a lot of bands.

Inklings

and you feel shame
Feb 8, 2007
www.myspace.com
Going to change the format up a bit, do a cop out and combine somethings.

Top-5 Bands/Artists and my favorite song of theirs.

1)HUM

2)Slowdive

3)Drive Like Jehu

4)The Swirlies

5)Blond Redhead

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
There's a lot of people with really neat taste here.* I wonder if it's a reflection of Pittsburgh's many great record stores? The Exchange is a really wonderful chain. Jerry's is a fine institution. RIP Wicked Discs.

*Except Ogre, who is so bad it's endearing.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
So as I was driving to get ice cream, my mp3 player segued nicely from Michael Bublé to Nirvana to a lovely piece of bluegrass.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There's a lot of people with really neat taste here.* I wonder if it's a reflection of Pittsburgh's many great record stores? The Exchange is a really wonderful chain. Jerry's is a fine institution. RIP Wicked Discs.

People still buy music on discs?

*Except Ogre, who is so bad it's endearing.

If you are saying bands like Counting Crows, Cake, Blink 182, Matchbox 20 and The Offspring are bad then I just flat out disagree. Aside from the few guilty pleasures, I don't think my music is that odd. Any of you that says you don't enjoy a few guilty pleasure songs is a damn liar. :laugh:

I don't sit and think deeply about music. I listen to it in the car for 20 minutes twice a day. Sometimes I put it on as background noise while I play a computer game or do some work. I have never in my life sat and actively listened to music. So I don't really go out of my way to find it.

ps: Disney songs are not a guilty pleasure. They are just damn fun songs to sing along to like an ******* sitting in traffic. If you don't like A Whole New World, you should see a doctor immediately because you don't have a heart.

So as I was driving to get ice cream, my mp3 player segued nicely from Michael Bublé to Nirvana to a lovely piece of bluegrass.

My wife was driving and we were coming up on a runner when Saint Elmo's Fire came on. We drove beside him as long as we could before it got too awkward. It was glorious.

Last edited:

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
My wife was driving and we were coming up on a runner when Saint Elmo's Fire came on. We drove beside him as long as we could before it got too awkward. It was glorious.
I trust you were kind enough to sing a few lines for the nice lady or gentleman?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I listened to St. Elmo's Fire today, too.

But it was the Brian Eno version.

Another Green World is a huge favorite of mine.

Last edited:

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
I have Planet Caravan playing over and over.

We sailed through endless skies
Stars shine like eyes
The black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
Falls down in tears

Light of the night

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I just picked up Animals that I hadn't heard for probably 20 years and heard it for the first time ever not under the influence of something...Seriously underrated IMHO.

Most Pink Floyd fans I know would rank Animals equal or greater to DSOTM and WYWH, and all three (and often Meddle) above The Wall.

The Wall is one of the most overrated albums of all-time IMO. Not even saying it's bad, but I find it crazy when people cite it as Floyd's best.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Most Pink Floyd fans I know would rank Animals equal or greater to DSOTM and WYWH, and all three (and often Meddle) above The Wall.

The Wall is one of the most overrated albums of all-time IMO. Not even saying it's bad, but I find it crazy when people cite it as Floyd's best.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Though I don't know how huge a Floyd fan I'd call myself. But I do think Animals is their best album followed very closely by Meddle. Dark Side and especially The Wall barely rate, for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->