OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Bump

I've listened to this song way too many times in the last 5 days or so:

I've listened to a few of this band's songs before, but this is the first one I love.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw this artist on Colbert last week. Her song surprised me, rich melodic vibe, reminds me of how they used to put together songs in the 70s.

Her name sounds like hockey coach Randy Carlyle. Brandi Carlile, The Joke:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One of my favorites, Even Less by Porcupine Tree:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Gotta share this one again:

Saw them about two years ago at Cattivo in Larryville. For starters, it's a lesbian bar. In addition, it was during a Pens playoff game. There was only about 20 people in the crowd, so safe to say I doubt they ever come back to PGH.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Well, since we've been seen as villains for winning 2 in a row i guess we'll have to Strike Back next season...

May 17, 2009
Maine
Dirty Beaches, Explosions in the Sky, Minks, Real Estate, Terror of the Deep, Beach Fossils, etc. etc.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
So far it's a fantastic pairing with the table. I know a break in period is suggested with new carts, but honestly with this one, I don't think it's needed. I mean if it's going to sound better than it does now after 30 or 40 hours, I'll be amazed. Even the tracking is better at the beginning and end. I have a handful of records that the AT cart would skip on the first groove but not with this one. Also you know how you get the tinny sound at the end of just before the runout groove? Not with this cart.
You wouldn't think that something so small could offer a different sound.
Sorry to go back in time on this one, but while you are on the right track (nice pun?), it gets so much better. Run, don't walk, to a dealer and find yourself a proper moving coil cartridge (and step up transformer if your preamp isn't MC friendly) for your tonearm. That Shure is a bomber, durable cartridge, but once you match up with the right MC rig from Denon, Dynavector, or just about anyone not named Audio Technica, your mind will be blown. The difference isn't subtle.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Hypothetical question: Can you really continue to call Progressive by that name when it's mostly been repeating themes of the genre since King Crimson and Close the Edge era Yes?

Anyway, I just re-surfed all 36 pages of this thread while listening to The Contortionist and Haken:

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Sorry to go back in time on this one, but while you are on the right track (nice pun?), it gets so much better. Run, don't walk, to a dealer and find yourself a proper moving coil cartridge (and step up transformer if your preamp isn't MC friendly) for your tonearm. That Shure is a bomber, durable cartridge, but once you match up with the right MC rig from Denon, Dynavector, or just about anyone not named Audio Technica, your mind will be blown. The difference isn't subtle.
Or just get a high output MC and save the money that you won't have to spend on a step up transformer. The Ortofon MC-1 Turbo is pretty good and won't break the bank.

That being said, I have an old Pioneer PL-518 with an Ortofon 2m Bronze that blew my RP3 with the Bronze out of the water. I love it. Wouldn't think about switching it for a MC cart.

Last edited:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it! *adjusts tie*

I tend toward heavier music myself which lends itself well toward more bombastic classical scores so it's not often included as a part of a chamber performance. But I certainly can enjoy the more intimate side of things as well. What's a fav piece for you?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it! *adjusts tie*

I tend toward heavier music myself which lends itself well toward more bombastic classical scores so it's not often included as a part of a chamber performance. But I certainly can enjoy the more intimate side of things as well. What's a fav piece for you?

I started out as a pure metal fan myself haha. Beethoven's late quartets were a life-changer for me, but in terms of newer stuff that could appeal to the heavier side, you might dig the 2nd mvmt from Shostakovich's 8th quartet (5:15 to 8:10...pretty intense):

And I haven't heard anything quite like the harmonic and rhythmic effects in Bartok's music...he was truly original thinker, and it's hard to believe he was writing stuff like this in the 1920s. The 2nd mvmt from his 4th quartet always stuns me (6:55 to 10:10):

Reactions: UnrealMachine

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Or just get a high output MC and save the money that you won't have to spend on a step up transformer. The Ortofon MC-1 Turbo is pretty good and won't break the bank.

That being said, I have an old Pioneer PL-518 with an Ortofon 2m Bronze that blew my RP3 with the Bronze out of the water. I love it. Wouldn't think about switching it for a MC cart.
Until you hear one. The right one ;-) / synergy plays a role here. I bought a PL-518 new, back in like '79 or '80. Wish I had held on to it, it's worth twice what I paid then, inflation notwithstanding. Ditched it for an SL-1301, then ditched that for a sweet Thorens, now back with a burly Technics because my 115 year old floor and joists are problematic for tracking, given I have two teenage boys. Did you keep the Rega?

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Until you hear one. The right one ;-) / synergy plays a role here. I bought a PL-518 new, back in like '79 or '80. Wish I had held on to it, it's worth twice what I paid then, inflation notwithstanding. Ditched it for an SL-1301, then ditched that for a sweet Thorens, now back with a burly Technics because my 115 year old floor and joists are problematic for tracking, given I have two teenage boys. Did you keep the Rega?
Yeah. But I find myself not really using it. I listen to a lot of 45s. The whole belt thing becomes a pain. Plus I love auto return. I have it running through a McIntosh 4100. It's perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad