OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
My favorite album to come out this year. Probably one of my favorite albums to come out in the last 10 years. James Murphy, the most optimistic pessimist, goes dark on this one.

21435508_148163415779101_3469032638163976192_n.jpg

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Finally got around to upgrading my cartridge to the Nagaoka MP-110.
Rizzle-only listened to one lp and I could instantly hear the difference in bass and more details.

Once again that table with the wooden plinth is beautiful. So it is pairing really well with that pioneer? I needed to switch out my Ortofon Omega that I have been using since I broke the stylus on my 2M Blue. I was looking at the 110 based on what I read after you told me about it. I ended up going with the Shure 97xe. It pairs well with my 518. Nice warm sound.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
New QOTSA is good but juust a little underwhelming for them. I wish I could see them next week but I am bone broke. The opening and closing track are both fantastic.

New National is out today, it's predictably excellent.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
New QOTSA is good but juust a little underwhelming for them. I wish I could see them next week but I am bone broke. The opening and closing track are both fantastic.

New National is out today, it's predictably excellent.

You think? I think it's as good as anything they've done - The Way You Used To Do is a hell of a hook too. Then again, I think Like Clockwork was just as good.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
You think? I think it's as good as anything they've done - The Way You Used To Do is a hell of a hook too. Then again, I think Like Clockwork was just as good.

Head Like a Haunted House is quickly becoming my jam. Rivaling Regular John as my fave QOTSA song. You're right about them being the last great true rock band. A lot of people were turned off by Ronson. Not me. Perfect match. Album continues where Like Clockwork left off.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I loove Like Clockwork but I just don't hear anything on the level of "I Appear Missing" on this one yet. Probably could stand to spend a little more time with it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Head Like a Haunted House is quickly becoming my jam. Rivaling Regular John as my fave QOTSA song. You're right about them being the last great true rock band. A lot of people were turned off by Ronson. Not me. Perfect match. Album continues where Like Clockwork left off.

Have you been a fan since the Kyuss break-up? I still remember ordering that early Queens/Kyuss split with Spiders and Vinegaroons/Born To Hula/If Only and the Queens/Beaver split with The Bronze/These Aren't The Droids You're Looking For on Man's Ruin, plus all the old Desert Sessions. Collector's **** now, but I sold 'em all in a purge.

I actually saw them on their first tour, in WPG in '07 (I think?). Went backstage and shot the **** with the guys. Nick was trying to behave himself and I ended up talking hockey with Alfredo Hernandez for a good part of the time haha. Became Dave Catching's pen pal for a while too.

Ronson was a great fit, I agree. There are a few nice touches on this album that seem like he had a hand in them.

I loove Like Clockwork but I just don't hear anything on the level of "I Appear Missing" on this one yet. Probably could stand to spend a little more time with it.

Lots of solid tracks on that album. Smooth Sailing and If I Had A Tail are probably my favourite.

As for the new album, the keyboard on that title track gets me every time. That counter-melody just kind of floats in and makes everything better whenever it appears.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Once again that table with the wooden plinth is beautiful. So it is pairing really well with that pioneer? I needed to switch out my Ortofon Omega that I have been using since I broke the stylus on my 2M Blue. I was looking at the 110 based on what I read after you told me about it. I ended up going with the Shure 97xe. It pairs well with my 518. Nice warm sound.

So far it's a fantastic pairing with the table. I know a break in period is suggested with new carts, but honestly with this one, I don't think it's needed. I mean if it's going to sound better than it does now after 30 or 40 hours, I'll be amazed. Even the tracking is better at the beginning and end. I have a handful of records that the AT cart would skip on the first groove but not with this one. Also you know how you get the tinny sound at the end of just before the runout groove? Not with this cart.
You wouldn't think that something so small could offer a different sound.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Convinced a friend of mine with a turntable to pick up 2 albums on vinyl.

Adam Ant - "Kings of the Wild Frontier"

and

XTC - "Drums and Wires"

Love both of them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've been putting the newish reissue of the Replacements live at Maxwell's for a few days and I forgot how awesomely sloppy they were.

for%20sale_the%20replacements.jpg

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I've been putting the newish reissue of the Replacements live at Maxwell's for a few days and I forgot how awesomely sloppy they were.

for%20sale_the%20replacements.jpg

I just busted out my vinyl of Let it Be a couple days ago. I picked it up at this really cool little record shop I found in Ocean City, MD. This was back when you still had to order just everything even slightly out of the mainstream. They had a bunch of Dischord stuff and some other localish bands (Moss Icon!).

I also snagged up a Kraftwerk record for a buddy of mine. As I'm checking out, the owner is working the register and he puts everything into a clear bag. "You can show off the Replacements with pride, Kraftwerk not so much." I tried to explain it wasn't for me, like a kid whose parents find cigarettes in their book bag.

It's great that you can get anything instantly now, but downloading something off of iTunes doesn't make for much of a story.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ain't no shame in Kraftwerk, but I feel ya. It's the search that makes it worthwhile a lot.

Speaking of legends, I'm finally crossing another name off the list, gonna see the Jesus and Mary Chain tonight.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Tom Petty's death is probably affecting me a lot more than it should. I've watched "Running Down a Dream" on netflix twice in the last week. Amazing documentary which gives great coverage of his entire career. What an amazing artist...

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't find Kraftwerk to be particularly shameful, but the way the dude said it and the hatred in his voice still makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->