OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Excuse my ignorance, but does vinyl make a significant difference?

For me I'd say yes. On older 60s and 70s recordings, totally. It's the closest you'll get to what the artist intended it to be. Analog. What was recorded was pretty much what you're gonna get. Yeah, you could cut and splice tape, but it was nothing like you see today with things like Pro Tools where you can drag, drop, cut, paste with ease. Digital recording wasn't really widely introduced until the early 80s. There is a reason when some popular album is remastered, the source is a big deal to some. Original tapes, compared to some digital source. Why get a digitally remastered copy of something that sounds just like the CD? Just buy the CD.

When it comes to newer artists, if it's something I really like, Tame Impala for example, even digitally mastered, I enjoy having a tangible recording of that album. Sure Spotify is easy, but it has lead to many artists, in my opinion, to stop actually sitting down and taking the time to make an album. It's also made for some really lazy listeners. You don't take the time to actually stop and enjoy listening to the songs on that album. For me, there isn't much that beats putting on a record sitting there holding the actual artwork while you actually listen. Not some background music in your car on the way to work or on your computer while your searching Facebook. It almost forces you to listen to the whole album, yeah you can queue up songs, but why? If the artist spent then time to record and album (compared to majority of artists now who just make singles for the Spotify generation) as a listener take the time to listen to it through. To me, some of the best songs on some of the greatest albums weren't the singles. Not only that, but if you really like an artist, why not support that artist by buying their music?

Another reason for me is growing up I remember my parents putting on albums. Even though I was a child of the 80s, something about vinyl brings back memories of that.

Lastly, for sake of not boring you anymore than I have already, think of a record recorded in 1967. That object is 50 years old. It has a story. I don't mean in the music, I mean in the actual physical object itself. Anytime I break out Jimi Hendrix Axis: Bold as Love, I can't help but wonder how many joints were probably rolled using that gatefold cover. The travel of that record is a story within itself.

This completly 100% is my opinion. Some people enjoy the ease of a skip button or the versatility and compatability of an iPod, but for me there is really no other way to go. I still have CDs, but they sit in a box somewhere taking up space.

Plus I just prefer the warmer, more soothing sound of vinyl. I probably could have just typed that and answered your question.

Last edited:

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Well said, Rizzle. I think that's something I've been more careful with this year in regards to my vinyl purchases and that's the source material. A lot of labels are so quick to capitalize on getting that vinyl cash, that they just shove their releases in break neck fashion.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Well said, Rizzle. I think that's something I've been more careful with this year in regards to my vinyl purchases and that's the source material. A lot of labels are so quick to capitalize on getting that vinyl cash, that they just shove their releases in break neck fashion.
Very very true.

I don't know if are familiar with stevehoffman forums. There is a wealth of info when it comes to what pressings sound good/better/best. That's my goto if I'm not sure about a certain reissue. It's saved me a lot of money and hassle.

Last edited:

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I'd also like to add that it's not always vinyl for me. I go through periods where I just don't feel like listening to records and I'll stream from Spotify. Occasionally I'll bust out some CDs and my cassettes. I just haven't reached a point where I can get rid of my physical media.
Another fun thing is going to a record store and spending time going through isles of music and getting to know the owner/employees and supporting your local businesses. Although for myself, I sometimes order directly through the artist/label, Amazon and Discogs for the harder to find items.
And course there are some disadvantages associated with vinyl. Mainly the pricing. Some of that stuff can get out of control. Then there's my favorite problem which is warped records. It's so tiresome to go and play a record only to be disappointed when your needle is bouncing all over the place. Luckily they make items to control or fix the problem.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Very very true.

I don't know if are familiar with stevehoffman forums. There is a wealth of info when it comes to what pressings sound good/better/best. That's my goto if I'm not sure about a certain reissue. It's saved me a lot of money and hassle.

I will definitely check that out for future reference! Thanks!

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I'd also like to add that it's not always vinyl for me. I go through periods where I just don't feel like listening to records and I'll stream from Spotify. Occasionally I'll bust out some CDs and my cassettes. I just haven't reached a point where I can get rid of my physical media.
Another fun thing is going to a record store and spending time going through isles of music and getting to know the owner/employees and supporting your local businesses. Although for myself, I sometimes order directly through the artist/label, Amazon and Discogs for the harder to find items.
And course there are some disadvantages associated with vinyl. Mainly the pricing. Some of that stuff can get out of control. Then there's my favorite problem which is warped records. It's so tiresome to go and play a record only to be disappointed when your needle is bouncing all over the place. Luckily they make items to control or fix the problem.

That's my gripe against Record Store Day. There shouldn't be one specific day you go support your local record store. It's cool for limited edition pressings and stuff like that, but one day isn't going to keep that place open. Like you said, getting to know the employees and just talking music is part of the fun.

Discogs, will be my demise. Those ever elusive pressings you can't seem to find, 90% right there. Next thing you know your wallet is a whole lot lighter. That being said, nothing beats flipping through the recent used arrivals or those boxes that just sit under the shelves and finding something you've had on your mental list for years.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Oh Randy, if you're bored and looking for something to watch, check out the documentary "Sound City". It probably won't answer your question, but it does kinda explain a reason a lot of us have a soft spot for the analog format. It's pretty amazing. If your younger and never really grew up hearing records as a kid, it's even more amazing.

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
So I'm hanging out at my buddy's house and his daughter is watching some cartoons on her tablet. I was kind of watching with her, half paying attention and she's watching some show called Uncle Grandpa.

They do this parody where he's singing songs as part of one of those compilations they used to sell on late night TV and the next thing I know, he's doing a song dressed as GG ****ing Allin. GG Allin. On a kid's show. I legitimately almost spit out my drink. He also did a black metal song with corpse paint and all.

She noticed my reaction and asked what the problem was, I told my buddy that it was all him. I'm not explaining GG Allin to an 8 year old.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Nope. All depends on your speakers/sound system/headphones/whatever if you ask me.

All of that is null and void without an audio format. You can have the greatest sound system, speakers, yada yada yada, but you need something to play on it. That being said, analog is really the only true lossless format (CD, not some MP3 CD-R or huge files, being the exception, not Spotify or any streaming media). Digital is all 1s, and 0s. Stops and starts. Nothing is going to change that. That's pretty much a given. That's why CDs sound the way they do and records / reel / tape / any analog format sounds the way it does. For me there is a world of difference between the two. I just prefer mine to sound warm, inviting, soothing, all those good things compared to overproduced, cold, uninviting, and fake. The only "pro" that' you could really argue for digital is that you can hide imperfections, but that's not really a pro. Those little imperfections is what gives it that human feel.

* This is just my opinion.*

Last edited:

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
So I'm hanging out at my buddy's house and his daughter is watching some cartoons on her tablet. I was kind of watching with her, half paying attention and she's watching some show called Uncle Grandpa.

They do this parody where he's singing songs as part of one of those compilations they used to sell on late night TV and the next thing I know, he's doing a song dressed as GG ****ing Allin. GG Allin. On a kid's show. I legitimately almost spit out my drink. He also did a black metal song with corpse paint and all.

She noticed my reaction and asked what the problem was, I told my buddy that it was all him. I'm not explaining GG Allin to an 8 year old.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Excuse my ignorance, but does vinyl make a significant difference?

I just got a record player for the first time in my life and...that's a loaded question.

Yes and no, it all depends on set-up, speakers, and what you're listening to. Most of the stuff I have right now are my favorite albums that came out during my lifetime and, frankly, they don't sound much different to me than they do from my iPod (note: I have good headphones that cost more than my record player, fwiw). I do have a couple older vinyls, though, and those are where I can tell a difference. I have a feeling that within a few years my vinyl collection will be mostly old jazz records.

A lot of it comes down to speakers and what the music is. There's really no reason to listen to a Modest Mouse vinyl on an all-in-one record player unless that's your only option...but Velvet Underground with good speakers? Yes.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I just got a record player for the first time in my life and...that's a loaded question.

Yes and no, it all depends on set-up, speakers, and what you're listening to. Most of the stuff I have right now are my favorite albums that came out during my lifetime and, frankly, they don't sound much different to me than they do from my iPod (note: I have good headphones that cost more than my record player, fwiw). I do have a couple older vinyls, though, and those are where I can tell a difference. I have a feeling that within a few years my vinyl collection will be mostly old jazz records.

A lot of it comes down to speakers and what the music is. There's really no reason to listen to a Modest Mouse vinyl on an all-in-one record player unless that's your only option...but Velvet Underground with good speakers? Yes.

Any format will sound better on a better (all relative to the listener) setup, but you're dodging the question (you actually aren't, per se. Mabe your answer is a bit misleading.) The question was is there a significant difference between analog and digital, not is there a significant difference between stereo setups. (I'm wrong as in the OP did ask vinyl vs other formats. Since 90% of my records are 80s and before, 90% are going to be analog. So for me when someone asks about vinyl I'm going to assume they mean analog.)

(My statement is a bit misleading. There are parts of what you said I do agree with. So in essence you are correct, with one caveat. Is said record digital or analog)

If I took an iPod and played an album of through my stereo and then turned around and played the same album on vinyl (Not digitally mastered) through the same stereo, you are going to notice a difference.

For me the only pro that digital has is that you can take it pretty much anywhere. In my car, at work, at the gym, while I'm running, or maybe in my kitchen cooking (that's about 50/50), that's about it for me. At those times its really nothing more than background noise. If I'm going to actually sit down and listen to music or have friends over to listen to music, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be analog. That 1 time is going to be something that I really want to listen to that I don't have on record . Like I've said time and time again, to me analog is going to sound more lifelike and warm than its digital counterpart.

Using Modest Mouse is using a bad example. Those Reissues were digitally remastered (I believe, I could be wrong. I heard Up lost the original tapes). So yeah, you aren't going to get a difference in sound. You take, say, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, my vinyl copy is waaaaaaay more open and full than my digital copy.

In the end it comes down to personal preference, but to say there isn't a difference between the 2 is laughable.

I will concede that you are right when you say yes and no. It does depend on the original format. Most records in the last 15ish years are probably mastered digitally. So you're right when you say there won't be much difference from CD. You're really just getting a CD on record. Go back before that (or something new that was done in analog), and that's were we will disagree. 99% of the time, I'll enjoy analog over its digital counterpart.

PS the plural of vinyl is vinyl. ;)

Last edited:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Does anybody have any good suggestions for modern synthpop?

Acts that tack along with acts in the style of Mesh, Iris, Tenek, etc....

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
ZAR is obsessed with Catfish and the Bottlemen ??

Getting to Know: Zach Aston-Reese

What's on your Spotify playlist?

Right now I'm in this alternative phase. It's kind of weird. When I put my music on guys tell me to turn my iPod off (laughs). But there's this band I've been obsessed with from Wales, they're called Catfish and the Bottlemen and it's what I listen to before games and pretty much all the time.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
36174513130_2993155242_b.jpg

Mike Patton
Dave Lombardo
Justin Pearson
Mike Crain

And they all have their mark on this. Mike Patton's insane vocal range, Dave Lombardo's super aggressive drumming, and that "Retox" sound from Pearson and Crain. Completely insane. The Bela Lugosi's Dead cover is meh, but side 2 destroys everything in it's path.

I hope that I can be 1/10 of the awesomeness of Mike Patton when I turn 50 (49).

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
i make music if anyones interested in that kind of thing. Didnt know if any of guys on here do also. would love to hear your stuff
(i dont monetize my channel, all my stuff is free to use so this isnt self promotion or at least i hope its not perceived as such)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
i make music if anyones interested in that kind of thing. Didnt know if any of guys on here do also. would love to hear your stuff
(i dont monetize my channel, all my stuff is free to use so this isnt self promotion or at least i hope its not perceived as such)

I like that a lot. Do you like electronic dance music? Your song reminded me a bit of Deadmau5, particularly the song snow cone.

Please share other songs. What type of programs do you use to make your music?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I like that a lot. Do you like electronic dance music? Your song reminded me a bit of Deadmau5, particularly the song snow cone.

Please share other songs. What type of programs do you use to make your music?

appreciate it. Dont make any dance music really. not my style. And i use Logic Pro x on a mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad