OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I swear I heard this song on the radio when it first came out but it was never one of those songs with radio staying power and I'm not entirely sure why.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can totally get that. I didn't really like them at Pitchfork, tbh, but I saw them the year before at the Empty Bottle (200 people max.) and they were pretty great. But my tolerance for pretention was probably at its highest in 2010.

I will say my 2nd favorite set at Pitchfork was The Wrens who are maddeningly good but also, super bad about putting out records and playing shows. Meadowlands is a stone-cold classic tho.

Yeah both of their records are classic.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
:laugh:

Yeah, where's Turpentine? Wrench? Mulch?

Oh this IS fun. Dialing up the absurdity a bit...

"Weedwhip" "Broken Toro" "Pile Of Rebar" "Old Sports Equipment" "Poorly Hidden Doobie" "7 Mismatched Ratchet Sets" "Bucket of Screws" "Random Machete"

Maybe just "Shed"

EDIT: Also... festivals. I got drug to one this year despite my protestations. Had some friends both going and playing. Definitely a "too old for this shit and drugs only fix so much" moment. I lasted one night then rented a hotel room.

I love how festivals slowly unfold into a like... FEMA camp disaster as the days go on. By the last day it's f***in' Thunderdome in most of those places. Oh and I think every festival I've been to it rains at least over half the time. It's a rule or something. Vivid memories of throwing a once-decent pair of shoes away in a Bob Evans parking lot trashcan after standing in cow mud for three straight days.

I got the meatloaf sandwich, BTW. It was gross.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_servo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Saw them on this tour. Penny Sparkle and 23 are amazing records.

Hell yeah. Wish I would have been more plugged in to them in those days. Oddly I really dug Enon back then (due largely to their association with Brainiac) who are good but basically kind of a knockoff BR. Shit they even snagged a former BR member.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hell yeah. Wish I would have been more plugged in to them in those days. Oddly I really dug Enon back then (due largely to their association with Brainiac) who are good but basically kind of a knockoff BR. Shit they even snagged a former BR member.

I've been into them forever because I have a Fugazi tattoo and obviously the Guy connection.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's from "Instrument" -- haven't seen it in so long but it's absolutely worth a watch.

Yeah @tom_servo if you haven't seen this doc and are a Fugazi fan get it immediately.

Also would recommend the Minutemen doc that came out a few years after if you want to cry your eyes out watching Mike Watt talk about the bush him and D Boon met in.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Plowed just
Yeah, "Plowed" was a hell of a radio earworm. How were they live? I sort of missed out on a lot of that period because I was in the punk scene in Pittsburgh and had a weird complex about listening to anything remotely popular. :laugh:

Sponge just recently played a bar in Altoona...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah @tom_servo if you haven't seen this doc and are a Fugazi fan get it immediately.

Also would recommend the Minutemen doc that came out a few years after if you want to cry your eyes out watching Mike Watt talk about the bush him and D Boon met in.

Instrument is super great. It’s one of my favorite music docs. The Minutemen one is also so good, but yeah, super sad. Poor D Boon, what a tragedy. :(

Reactions: tom_servo

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Really addicted to this whole album, especially this song. Suprised me, never liked his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad