News Article: The Seeker: Scout Hakan Andersson a hero of the Red Wings’ playoff streak

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Wow, such a good read. Great article. Well written and so much interesting insight. Basically, just reading the abstracts on HÃ¥kan scouting that Z guy gives you an idea of the Wings' unique scouting system:

“Well, he’s quick, but I don’t see pull-away speed. Is the puck glued to his stick? No. Does he have a good shot? Yes. But he missed the net three times. I don’t quite see the tools.” He pauses, smiles. “But he kept himself alive.” Eventually, Andersson might not even mind him.

Other than that. Was that part with the Flames-Scout a conscious figure of speech? :D

Andersson did see him again and was en route a third time, only now he had company: a Flames scout was on the same plane. They boarded the scheduled 11 a.m. flight and then sat on the runway as a snowstorm blanketed Moscow. A few hours later Andersson was startled by a roar. Outside his window he could see flames dancing near the wings, blown by a fan through a massive circular device on the tarmac. The contraption looked like Paul Bunyan’s hair dryer. “The snow started to melt,” he says, “but those wings are right near the fuel.” Eventually the deicing was abandoned and the flight was canceled, leaving the two scouts stranded and Datsyuk mostly a mystery to the gentleman from Calgary. Andersson figures he might have gotten scooped if not for the snow. Instead, the Red Wings took the young Russian in the sixth round the following summer.

Paradox. About the Wings eventually getting the Magic Man 'cause of the Flames on that flight. :sarcasm:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Great read. Think its time to stop calling him an "unsung" hero though. He might be the most famous scout in hockey by now. Fans of other teams could probably rattle off his name before the names of any of their own.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
How much you wanna bet Luke Z gets picked this year just because Hakan was watching him and it got illustrated in the interview?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How much you wanna bet Luke Z gets picked this year just because Hakan was watching him and it got illustrated in the interview?

He might get a bump in stock, but doubt Hakan would show his hand like that on a real unknown gem.

I'm more curious about Larsson. I wonder if we trade back and pick up a pick and take him?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He might get a bump in stock, but doubt Hakan would show his hand like that on a real unknown gem.

I'm more curious about Larsson. I wonder if we trade back and pick up a pick and take him?
What if he's playing some kind of reverse psychology games on everyone and that's actually the guy on his radar :)

He's actually a decent player and could be drafted if he makes the U18 and is impressive there. I hope it isn't by the Wings though. His linemate Mastomäki on the other hand is someone I think has a lot of great tools and wouldn't mind picking late in the draft.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
maybe a bit of misdirection on his part? :naughty:

Not denying that at all. But he played a good game stat wise and Hakan really, really tried to talk him down. It wouldn't surprise me if some team picked him up after say the first 3 rounds.

To a degree the best place to hide something sometimes is right in front of you though. Granted I tend to agree that if it was a high potential draft gem he wouldn't even be in a stadium viewing said player when he was giving a interview to SI.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What if he's playing some kind of reverse psychology games on everyone and that's actually the guy on his radar :)

He's actually a decent player and could be drafted if he makes the U18 and is impressive there. I hope it isn't by the Wings though. His linemate Mastomäki on the other hand is someone I think has a lot of great tools and wouldn't mind picking late in the draft.

Make everyone think we are scouting the more known guy and then take his teammate no one knows about = classic Hakan move

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
every håkan pick between 09-13 is either gone or looking like a bust.

holland is clearly scapegoating håkan and waiting for chance to put the failure to find next Z and D on him.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
every håkan pick between 09-13 is either gone or looking like a bust.

holland is clearly scapegoating håkan and waiting for chance to put the failure to find next Z and D on him.

I would say failure in the late rounds is what is expected. So hakan is in a great position. No one will blame him for missing, because all teams miss in these spots. If scouting is done perfectly NO ONE will hit in these rounds. Hakan himself said their are few surprises now (like datsyuk) because most players are on national teams now. Basically he is rolling the dice on 4-7th picks for highly talented yet flawed players (size, skating, hands etc). But likely with 1-2 elite talents. The player overall is not good enough to be picked early and likely has no NHL future. But Detroit tries to find it. Like Hakan, good article.

But getting draft pick homeruns in late rounds is the exception, so technically i would expect Hakan homerun picks to be more in the 2-4 range now. Due to better scouting of other teams, he has to pick his main picks earlier. Probably our 2nd round success is likely Hakan related too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad