The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

Ultimate Bandwagon

May 26, 2013
Montreal
What's so shocking? I don't hate the Sedins or the Canucks.

In 17 years or whatever they played I never stayed up once to watch the Sedins play. I'm willing to bet not many people outside of Vancouver did either. They were not worth the price of admission. Stars yes most years, definitely not superstars outside of one or two when their team was loaded with supporting talent.

Maybe since you never watched them you shouldn't be the judge of whether they get into the HHOF or not.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just curious - who are they among currently eligible?

Pierre Turgeon and Rick Middleton come to mind.

And of course Fleury.

Like I said before the twins are getting in for their peaks and their uniqueness but they had a pretty poor start to their careers and very meh playoff resumes and didn't really add much internationally.

They are in the mix with some other guys not in like Bernie Nicholls as well.

I have no problem with them getting in as there are worse players in the HHOF.

But it also wouldn't be a huge deal if they didn't make it in either.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Of course Sedins are not making to the HHOF but op, you dont have to make a that big deal come on man.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
2021 HHOF eligible notables:

D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Zetterberg

Jagr is still active in the Czech league... 25pts in 30 gms!! So his hockey resume continues to be written... so IF this his last yr, he'll be what... 2024 eligible.

Alexander Mogilny , if they rob him again in 2020, could go in with the Sedins in 2021. Canuck fan would rejoice.

2020 SHOULD be highlighted by Iginla, Hossa and Mogilny.
I think Roenick probably just killed his chances for good now.

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
Of course Sedins are not making to the HHOF but op, you dont have to make a that big deal come on man.

Huh? Every player who's ever won the Art Ross has made the HHOF, the Sedins won't be the ones to break that trend.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Huh? Every player who's ever won the Art Ross has made the HHOF, the Sedins won't be the ones to break that trend.

Hah that sounds just stupid. Well let all the players who have more than 0,8ppg join the hhof also huh?

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
This league supposedly had a standard of 500 goals for most who played over the last 30 years. Sedins are nowhere close. Stanley Cups were a significant notch on the belt unless you're an Iginla or Thornton.

393 goals and 240 goals.

Nope, doesn't cut it.
They were one entity. So really 633 goals.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
Hah that sounds just stupid. Well let all the players who have more than 0,8ppg join the hhof also huh?

So from your expert opinion, what should the stats cutoff be? 0.9? 1.0? 1.1?

And any logic behind it?

I love it when people sets random criteria without any reason backing it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
In 17 years or whatever they played I never stayed up once to watch the Sedins play. I'm willing to bet not many people outside of Vancouver did either. They were not worth the price of admission. Stars yes most years, definitely not superstars outside of one or two when their team was loaded with supporting talent.

there was this perception around the league that the sedins were boring and unspectacular. this was reinforced early on by the fact that they weren't scoring much, so they weren't on the evening highlight shows much, plus them being hugely overshadowed by bertuzzi and naslund at their peaks, and the fact that the games were on super late in most major markets.

but man if you'd watched their games regularly, even in the early years, you'd see a moment or two every game where they would completely leave you speechless. and then one of them would get knocked over like a bowling pin or a perfect pass out of the cycle would bauble off trent klatt or old trevor linden's stick. and no one other than the people who watched that game would have ever seen it.

i even kind of get it. i remember one of the cbc announcers saying during the 2003 series against minnesota, you can see the sedins will be good players but they don't skate like gaborik and they can't shoot like gaborik shoots so they won't be superstars like gaborik will be. back then the flashes of brilliance were few and far between.

but they came out of the lockout with totally different bodies and actually started scoring as much as the big boys.

i mean, even then, you still had people wanting to trade them for olli jokinen, or saying gillis shouldn't re-sign them the year they were UFAs and sign gaborik and cammalleri instead. but i think those are people who don't really watch hockey, or only see highlights. gaborik skates really fast and has a laser wrist shot. cammalleri scores clutch goals in the playoffs. the sedins... well the sedins went toe to toe with kane and toews and daniel dragged the canucks back into the game after a first period defence/luongo implosion and even regained the lead in the third before a second luongo implosion that gave kane his hat trick. but if you didn't watch it who was going to tell you that the sedins were awesome?

i remember one time in the break before the 2011 finals, greg wyshynski was on bill simmons' podcast and simmons was like, hey how about those sedins? who can tell them apart? you cover hockey for a living, do you even know which one is the one who passes and which one is the one who shoots?

and wyshynski says, they take turns.

and bill simmons, a guy who only pays attention to hockey when the bruins are in the finals, is like, uh, i only know what the people say but i don't think that's right man.

but it goes to show you how even arguably the most widely read hockey writer in the US at the time had never watched the sedins play. and they had just won THE LAST TWO art ross trophies.

meanwhile, i remember this conversation crystal clear: it's the 2010 playoffs and i'm in new york for work and i'm staying in my buddy's apartment in brooklyn watching a laggy stream of the canucks vs blackhawks. we grew up together in vancouver, he was my center for five straight years of minor hockey, starting in 1993. and i say to him, sheepishly, you know, i can't believe i'm saying this but i might actually enjoy watching the sedins play as much as i enjoyed bure.

and he goes, i bet 12 year old us would have beaten the crap out of you for saying that.

because, you know, bure was the most electrifying thing we'd ever seen and we never thought we'd see anything that exciting ever again.

the last game i saw live henrik and daniel created a scoring chance out of nothing to feed jannik hansen for an easy tap in. in a routine oilers breakout, henrik creates an offensive zone turnover below the hash marks by bumping the oilers winger, then bracing himself to establish position and nudging the puck maybe two feet along the boards to what a second earlier was open ice. daniel is already there waiting for it and one touches it backwards through his own legs as the defenceman staples him to the boards. henrik of course picks it up and curls to the corner with a dman on him and the other crouching down to cut off the pass to the slot. the normal play there would be to carry the puck around the net and let the play develop. but at the edge of the trapezoid henrik saucers it literally over the defender right onto hansen's stick, who taps it into the open net.

i was lucky enough to be eleven rows up from ice level, in the same zone just below the other hash mark. just about the best possible seat in the house to see that play. in person, you could really see how incredibly miniscule and precise those openings they created and exploited were, but you also knew the moment henrik innocently interrupted that breakout that something could be developing. with the sedins, if they tic, you expect a tac. and if they tac, then it's only a matter of time before you see a toe. if you didn't think sedinery is worth the price of admission, dude i'm telling you you missed out.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
there was this perception around the league that the sedins were boring and unspectacular. this was reinforced early on by the fact that they weren't scoring much, so they weren't on the evening highlight shows much, plus them being hugely overshadowed by bertuzzi and naslund at their peaks, and the fact that the games were on super late in most major markets.

but man if you'd watched their games regularly, even in the early years, you'd see a moment or two every game where they would completely leave you speechless. and then one of them would get knocked over like a bowling pin or a perfect pass out of the cycle would bauble off trent klatt or old trevor linden's stick. and no one other than the people who watched that game would have ever seen it.

i even kind of get it. i remember one of the cbc announcers saying during the 2003 series against minnesota, you can see the sedins will be good players but they don't skate like gaborik and they can't shoot like gaborik shoots so they won't be superstars like gaborik will be. back then the flashes of brilliance were few and far between.

but they came out of the lockout with totally different bodies and actually started scoring as much as the big boys.

i mean, even then, you still had people wanting to trade them for olli jokinen, or saying gillis shouldn't re-sign them the year they were UFAs and sign gaborik and cammalleri instead. but i think those are people who don't really watch hockey, or only see highlights. gaborik skates really fast and has a laser wrist shot. cammalleri scores clutch goals in the playoffs. the sedins... well the sedins went toe to toe with kane and toews and daniel dragged the canucks back into the game after a first period defence/luongo implosion and even regained the lead in the third before a second luongo implosion that gave kane his hat trick. but if you didn't watch it who was going to tell you that the sedins were awesome?

i remember one time in the break before the 2011 finals, greg wyshynski was on bill simmons' podcast and simmons was like, hey how about those sedins? who can tell them apart? you cover hockey for a living, do you even know which one is the one who passes and which one is the one who shoots?

and wyshynski says, they take turns.

and bill simmons, a guy who only pays attention to hockey when the bruins are in the finals, is like, uh, i only know what the people say but i don't think that's right man.

but it goes to show you how even arguably the most widely read hockey writer in the US at the time had never watched the sedins play. and they had just won THE LAST TWO art ross trophies.

meanwhile, i remember this conversation crystal clear: it's the 2010 playoffs and i'm in new york for work and i'm staying in my buddy's apartment in brooklyn watching a laggy stream of the canucks vs blackhawks. we grew up together in vancouver, he was my center for five straight years of minor hockey, starting in 1993. and i say to him, sheepishly, you know, i can't believe i'm saying this but i might actually enjoy watching the sedins play as much as i enjoyed bure.

and he goes, i bet 12 year old us would have beaten the crap out of you for saying that.

because, you know, bure was the most electrifying thing we'd ever seen and we never thought we'd see anything that exciting ever again.

the last game i saw live henrik and daniel created a scoring chance out of nothing to feed jannik hansen for an easy tap in. in a routine oilers breakout, henrik creates an offensive zone turnover below the hash marks by bumping the oilers winger, then bracing himself to establish position and nudging the puck maybe two feet along the boards to what a second earlier was open ice. daniel is already there waiting for it and one touches it backwards through his own legs as the defenceman staples him to the boards. henrik of course picks it up and curls to the corner with a dman on him and the other crouching down to cut off the pass to the slot. the normal play there would be to carry the puck around the net and let the play develop. but at the edge of the trapezoid henrik saucers it literally over the defender right onto hansen's stick, who taps it into the open net.

i was lucky enough to be eleven rows up from ice level, in the same zone just below the other hash mark. just about the best possible seat in the house to see that play. in person, you could really see how incredibly miniscule and precise those openings they created and exploited were, but you also knew the moment henrik innocently interrupted that breakout that something could be developing. with the sedins, if they tic, you expect a tac. and if they tac, then it's only a matter of time before you see a toe. if you didn't think sedinery is worth the price of admission, dude i'm telling you you missed out.
Fantastic post. There's quite a few of those in here. There's also a lot of crap.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
They'll get in the hall but only because of their story. Their individual careers aren't worthy if these two are just two random players playing on two different teams. The twin factor made them bigger than they are. Not knocking on them, great players but they basically had 2 great years, a few more hovering around PPG and that's it. Only went past the 2nd round once as well which doesn't help their resume.

Reactions: gentleman scholar

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Whatever happened to career goals and pts?

These guys were just good players who never won a championship. Always had each other.

Not HHOF Worthy.

5eb625daa4959b99e8977cc355304f48.jpg

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Election Procedures
Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Does not appear that Fame or notoriety are criteria.

As far as playing ability, the Sedins do not separate themselves from the large list I provided earlier. And who the hell are we to judge sportsmanship, character or contributions of them, compared to the rest of the list I made? Fame does not appear to mean much. Paul Bissonnette may have some of the most 'fame', and contributions to hockey than anyone lately, doesn't mean he should get in (I realize his playing ability was null)

Considering that playing ability is the main criteria to get in, I just don't see how people liking the Sedins makes them HOF worthy. I can admit that I think they 'will' make it. But when they do, they will instantly be on the list of people I don't think should be there.

Well if you think that then you should want half of the current Hall not in... because the Sedins have a better case and were better over their peak and prime relative to era than pretty much half the forwards in there already.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They'll get in the hall but only because of their story. Their individual careers aren't worthy if these two are just two random players playing on two different teams. The twin factor made them bigger than they are. Not knocking on them, great players but they basically had 2 great years, a few more hovering around PPG and that's it. Only went past the 2nd round once as well which doesn't help their resume.

Just look at the Hall.. and who is in.

And realise there are like 10-15 fwds who were never even top 20 fwds in the NHL but just played in high scoring eras on good teams who won.

Their Hart, Point and P/GP finishes are better than like 40% of Hall fwds.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
I really just wish they’d let one in but not the other. They’re so equal that it’s annoying.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pierre Turgeon and Rick Middleton come to mind.

And of course Fleury.

Like I said before the twins are getting in for their peaks and their uniqueness but they had a pretty poor start to their careers and very meh playoff resumes and didn't really add much internationally.

They are in the mix with some other guys not in like Bernie Nicholls as well.

I have no problem with them getting in as there are worse players in the HHOF.

But it also wouldn't be a huge deal if they didn't make it in either.

I think Turgeon and Fleury should be in. Middleton and Nicholls. Nah. Era scoring makes them look better than they were.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
And the number of players winning the Hart and and the Art Ross and not in the Hall is really short. I guess it’s only Fleury. Oh, wait... So, it must be he has so many more of those 1st all-star teams. Eh, maybe then it’s the Stanley cup just like first ballot Jay Beagle and Pat Maroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->