The Sedins Were Stars at Best Who had Each Other. Not HHOF Worthy.

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by JoeyMickP, Feb 13, 2020.

1. We're doing some testing. Please do not adjust your set.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. izzy

izzy go

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    boring to watch

interesting thing to say about one of the most unique and effective duos in recent nhl

i could see you not liking them or thinking they arent hhof worthy but boring to watch? lmao

2. Leksand

Leksand Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Very good post.

One comments “Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?” must consider era adjusted numbers (and I don’t know if that helps or diminish the Sedin case.)

3. WiLBoY

WiLBoY Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Maybe not first ballot but for sure in.

4. MXD

MXD Original #4

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Dead
    ... Or at least compared to contemporaries with a reasonable chance to make it or otherwise a lock. Sedin is very likely to end up with less goals than... Shea Weber.

5. mc1laren

mc1laren Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Theo is that you?

6. crazychimp

crazychimp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,198,979
    I think OP is on something, your argument makes no sense.

7. PensandCaps

PensandCaps Beddy Tlueger

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    idiotic thread

8. mc1laren

mc1laren Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    They could have won nothing as far as hardware goes but the bolded alone makes them HHOF worthy. Its very likely we will never ever see a duo like them again. The years they were dominant, they influenced the game to such a degree that you now regularly see plays they popularized as successful strategies. They re-engineered/revolutionized the cycle game. The 30 ft deflections, slap passes, and banks of the end boards. The creativity, the imagination and the eerie telepathy like chemistry gets them in without even looking at stats and hardware. The OP is so butt hurt with Theo he doesn't seem to realize their contributions to the game.

Btw, met Theo's first ex wife. She was in Vancouver for a dental thing. Said he was an asshole and then proceeded to make out with a friend of mine at Black & Blue.

9. CaptainCally

CaptainCally Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Damn, I wonder if any defenseman will score 500 goals... Poor bastards will never make it into the HOF.

10. Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore Don't Panic.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I think the twin factor will get them into the HoF but if they existed individually they wouldn't make it in imo.

sharkhawk likes this.
  11. ZDH

ZDH Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    So do the standards drop even more for triplets?

Being twins/brothers/related shouldnt have any bearing at all imo.

12. crazychimp

crazychimp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,198,979
    Forget about the trophies these two have won, for me these two changed the way the game is played today. Before them - the board battles the cycling of the puck there was none of that to that intensity. Anytime you change the way the game is played to me that's HOF worthy.

Retire91 likes this.
  13. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 2,293,478
    They were 2 of the top point producers of their generation. Not many other players consistently put up the amount of points these two did. They are HHoFers for the same reason most here believe Lundqvist is a HHoFer. They were among the very best of their generation consistently year in and year out. Agree or disagree, I don't really care. They should all be in the Hall.

14. bossram

bossram Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,199,775
    You must've watched all of zero Canucks games when the Sedins were in their primes then. They assuredly were superstars in their primes. They're incredibly unique players. And they've made hundreds of nigh-unbelievable plays, carving opposing defenses. And with some actual attention to watching them play, you would pick up the subtleties to their games too: the picks, casual no-look passes, body positioning, putting pucks in areas where no is at that time, etc.

If you want to make the statistical argument they shouldn't get in, that's fair. I think their numbers are borderline too. IMO I think just their unique style of play, unique stories (obviously), and community work will help them get in eventually. But I get that their peaks weren't as long as many others in the Hall.

But to say they were boring players....You must not have eyes. Sedin week has been great in Vancouver, getting to re-watch all the amazing plays they've made. And that we'll never see players like that again.

15. Retire91

Retire91 Let's go Red Wings, clap, clap, fall on face Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Director of Holland Hate
    I think its worth being in the hall of fame purely on the uniqueness of their career. You'll never again see Hart caliber identical twin brothers play on the same team. That is worth a mural on the wall of the HOF.

16. MXD

MXD Original #4

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Dead
    And then you realize that both have more RS points than contemporary offensive forward Martin St-Louis who made it at the first opportunity (with cause, I might add).

17. Rangechucky

Rangechucky The puck was in

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I came in here to say what an awful take this thread was... but without reading many posts, I did rethink it.

The Sedins together were beauty in motion. What they could do was insane and that puts them in the HoF.

They didn't spend enough time playing on their own so any argument as to what they could have accomplished if they played on separate teams is just pointless arguing. No way to tell. It'd be like arguing Messier couldn't do anything without Jagr. There's no point in trying to separate all the reasons why great players are great until you're left with reasons why a player isn't great.

Rodgerwilco likes this.
  18. Hi ImHFNYR

Hi ImHFNYR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Normandy
    This would have made the "terrible HF argument" Hall of fame but it didnt discuss goals enough

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Rodgerwilco likes this.
  19. Se829ne

Se829ne Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 197,500
    Probably my last post in this thread tonight.

To that chemistry of the twins. I think that even those who oppose their inclusion to HHOF agree that their chemistry was extraordinary, but if we try search any kind "normalized" measure of one player's impact to another within the same lineup (as minimum relevant scope of perception), no duo ever in the entire hockey history has produced more convincing statistics about that. Full 1000GP+, 1000Pts+ careers as top level hockey players, where all performance impacting factors are reduced to minimum. Same genes, same family environment, same social growing environment, same junior teams, same draft, same mentors, same coaches, same teams, same linemates, same hobbies, same, same, same... as closely as possible for two different individuals playing hockey. Other was center, and other was winger. That's the meaning of 6 minutes difference in ages. What they did as the duo is as pure from all kinds haze as possible that their case works as the measuring stick for evaluations of all past and future hockey duos. They actually compiled also one of the most perfect statistical, and verifiable case study about the identical twins for general purposes of study of the topic, and not only including their hockey careers.

Everyone knows all kinds tales and anecdotes how Identical twins often have allegedly kind of special connection between each other, they both also often acknowledge and verify themselves. When people watch them playing some hockey they can acknowledge and verify that too.

No hard evidence for this but I assume that if 3rd assists would be counted, they would've been directly involved to each others career points at level approximately in 75-80% of cases. Statistically verifiable number with G, 1A, 2A is around 70% for both of them for their career points. That's insane. Chemistry we see on ice by eye test is measurable directly from their basic hockey stats, and that can be done more "cleaner" from all skewing random factors for them than for anyone else, ever.

Good night. Happy pre-inclusion retirement years to Henrik and Daniel.

Chairman Maouth likes this.
  20. filinski77

filinski77 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Election Procedures
    Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.

Does not appear that Fame or notoriety are criteria.

As far as playing ability, the Sedins do not separate themselves from the large list I provided earlier. And who the hell are we to judge sportsmanship, character or contributions of them, compared to the rest of the list I made? Fame does not appear to mean much. Paul Bissonnette may have some of the most 'fame', and contributions to hockey than anyone lately, doesn't mean he should get in (I realize his playing ability was null)

Considering that playing ability is the main criteria to get in, I just don't see how people liking the Sedins makes them HOF worthy. I can admit that I think they 'will' make it. But when they do, they will instantly be on the list of people I don't think should be there.

21. super6646

super6646 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,020,000

Wtf :laugh:

mc1laren likes this.
  22. mmvvpp

mmvvpp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I loved them as players but don't think they're HOF'ers either :dunno:

23. AvroArrow

AvroArrow #CaptainMorgan

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    As Jeremy Roenick would say "what a joke"

24. SFtoBoston

SFtoBoston Left Heart In SF

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Legal
    If you combine them you get a HoF player.

25. Tempo

Tempo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    In OP’s defense, I would be mad AF too if I have to endure 17yrs of Sedins walking all over my team. :sarcasm: