The Sedin Abuse

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Disagree, nobody likes getting their face filled in, and teams dont fear this fighting Dale Weiss or Tom Sestito for that matter. We do not have 1 good fighter outside of Bieksa who wont/shouldnt fight anymore

Weise has given his fair share of facial rearrangements. The guys that our 4th liners are fighting aren't the ones we have to worry about anyway. They ain't never gonna be on the ice at the same time as our stars. Its mostly just for show, Kassian and Bieksa need to carry the top 9/4 roles. Laying big hits is far more consequential than fights anyway, big reason I want Raffi back.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Weise has given his fair share of facial rearrangements. The guys that our 4th liners are fighting aren't the ones we have to worry about anyway. They ain't never gonna be on the ice at the same time as our stars. Its mostly just for show, Kassian and Bieksa need to carry the top 9/4 roles. Laying big hits is far more consequential than fights anyway, big reason I want Raffi back.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Hockeyfights has Weise Losing EVERY fight this year and drawing 2. ZERO wins.

Gotta take off the canucks tinted glasses

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
WHAT?!?!?!?!

He takes as much as he gives out, but it is pretty even. Half his opponents have been left leaking. Bollig jumped him before he could even get his gloves off and Weise still cut him. He's not getting tooled by any means. Dominating some 4th liner isn't making any impact.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
WHAT?!?!?!?!

On the contrary. I think there are a lot of biased anti-Canuck bashers that frequent that site. For example, that fight with bolig, I thought was a win for weise. It amazed me that people were voting for bollig

If it is in any way close, I expect most votes to go against the Canucks

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
On the contrary. I think there are a lot of biased anti-Canuck bashers that frequent that site. For example, that fight with bolig, I thought was a win for weise. It amazed me that people were voting for bollig

If it is in any way close, I expect most votes to go against the Canucks

I dunno, I dont agree, Hes a poor fighter. Really we dont have a guy on our team that anyone is scared of.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The last plug to take liberties against our team and require a ****kicking was Ben Eager. Still he pretty much handed us the conference championship and Kassian later broke his face.

We're trying to deter guys like Brown, Marchand and Keith from running our stars, it hardly takes a hulking goon to take care of those 3. They wouldn't be on the ice at the same time anyway.

There's a reason gangsters target family members, it works. Players aren't gonna respond to personnel threats. A team like Boston is loaded with fighters top to bottom, but it sure didn't save Savard, nor did it keep Horton from being scraped off the ice with a putty knife to be carried on a sheet of plywood.

Real deterrents come when you make a whipping boy out of an innocent star teammate, if Keith does something stupid, take it out on Hossa. He'll shape up a hell of a lot quicker than if you threw a couple punches his way. If Marchands actions we're paid for with Seguin brain scans and Bergerons teeth, he'd be a model citizen in minutes.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I dunno, I dont agree, Hes a poor fighter. Really we dont have a guy on our team that anyone is scared of.

IMO, the biggest reason to have a fighter on the team is to provide a physical outlet for the opposing team's pugilists. The Ben eagers or thorntons of the world. In other words, just neutralize them. I think the Canucks have been successful with this. After sestito fought mcgrattan, he was pretty quiet for the rest of the game.

Because of the instigator penalty, the whole fear element is overrated. It's not going to stop players like tootoo from running players.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Burrows-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Booth
Weise-Pinizotto-Sestito

There. A competent lineup without any of this Andrew"2nd line center" Ebbett ********.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I want Kassian to be that Sedin winger so badly, but I think he's doesn't play with enough intensity shift to shift yet. That line looks a bit slow through the neutral zone with Kassian on the wing, but he looks at home once they get the puck down low.

King of the ES*

i just had to start a thread after the last game ... the abuse of the sedins continues ... slashing elbowing hooking trash talking holding ... it's just goes on and on ... the refs make the odd call but it's over the top ... why doesn't AV replace burrows with kassian or another body that can protect them ... we are going nowhere till they solve this problem ... just awful to watch ...

You can't be serious.

Hal 9000*

It's not just about fighting, although if we're gonna employ a fighter he should b the best one possible. Players like Torres keep other teams a little on edge. Everyone loves the "Detroit" model because they're all about finesse and sportsmanship - guess what, they've got Tootoo.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Disagree, nobody likes getting their face filled in, and teams dont fear this fighting Dale Weiss or Tom Sestito for that matter. We do not have 1 good fighter outside of Bieksa who wont/shouldnt fight anymore

Teams are going to fear sestito more then they did bieksa who was not a heavyweight and did not fight heavies. There are not many number 1 fighters in the league right now. If you ask me sestito is fine, he is not the best but hes 6'5 and can hold his own against heavyweights. Was actually surprised at him beating nolan as bad as he did, that is not an easy win.

Rupp and especially mcgrattan is one of the best in the league, even though he might not have won those fights, very few do and he held his own. Previously we would not have had anyone who likely consider dropping with them.

Last edited:

King of the ES*

ya ... i was serious ... done yelling at the tv ... AV get burrows off that line and get these guys a pylon to stand in front of the net and get in the way ... clobber anyone that touches them ... we are going nowhere till we right the ship

troll

Burrows is the only guy with the hockey sense to complement the Sedin's. He holds his own just fine in front of the net - much more active than a guy like Kassian.

And besides, Zack Kassian (if that's your suggestion) is no deterrent. He's just not.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
This has been talked about for years.

The Sedins can hold their own, they don't need a bodyguard.

They're 6'1 190lbs, they're not pushovers.

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
I personally think all the reffing problems could be solved with two minor changes:

1) Issue rule books in Braille.
2) Teach Seeing Eye Dogs to skate.

It's general incompetence more than anything.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Burrows is the only guy with the hockey sense to complement the Sedin's. He holds his own just fine in front of the net - much more active than a guy like Kassian.

And besides, Zack Kassian (if that's your suggestion) is no deterrent. He's just not.

For Marchand-ish players he certainly are.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
I doubt he would care in the slightest.

He'd care when Kassian put his fist through his head.

Unreal that some people here don't think Kassian is intimidating. Look at him, if he was on the ice with you don't think you'd second guess agitating after the whistle. He literally broke a goon's head, he hits HARD. Sure you won't stop guys from obstructing the twins by adding Kassian but you will definitely stop after whistle face washes, crosschecks and other d-bag moves guys like Marchand and Bolland routinely use against them.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
there is no conspiracy, the ref's don't hate the canucks. take off the tin-foil hat

THIS.

Horrible calls league wide.

And do you actually think this is the time for this thread after Hank got a penalty shot last game for a weak hook ? He wasn't even in the clear. It was comical.

You need to lose the bias and also watch some other NHL games if you think the Canucks are getting that much of a short end here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad