The Sedin Abuse

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by mr gib, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bottomlesspop

bottomlesspop Registered User

cartoonist/illustrator
    the problem lies with the NHL claiming to crack down on obstruction, interference, clutch and grab, etc. Every year they give it a cursory 20 games or so and then forget all about it until the Stanley Cup Final becomes a wrestling match.

2. bottomlesspop

bottomlesspop Registered User

cartoonist/illustrator
    this. get rid of 2nd ref, give coaches a video review or 2.

3. B-rock

B-rock Registered User

This is a good idea. An independent body responsible for evaluating NHL refereeing on an ongoing basis. Then you don't run into any old boys club BS and you scratch my back I'll scratch yours crap. Get an unbiased third party in there to keep these morons honest.

Agree with the video review or 2 as well.

Also wondering why it wouldn't be possible to boot 1 ref and make the linesmen part of the team responsible for calling penalties. At this point, isn't their only responsibility offsides and icing? No more 2 line pass to worry about. So while the play is deep in a zone, these guys are just twiddling their thumbs. Meanwhile there is an extra ref clogging up the zone taking away space from the players.

4. Stories Tales Lies

Stories Tales Lies and Exaggerations

Gillis should think about hiring MAK to run that...

I would actually like to hear what the Sedins have to say, they may not give a ****, they seem meek enough.

5. Outside99*

Outside99* Guest

Great point on the linesmen. The thing is, video review would be perfect for bad line calls that result in a goal but its not allowed.

6. mrmyheadhurts

mrmyheadhurts Registered Boozer

You can't really compare the Twins to other stars in this league. There are very few high end players that play the style that the Twins play. They take extra punishment because their game is predicated on puck possession, cycling, and working in the corners. Of course they're going to take more punishment than I guy like Stamkos who's game is nearly the opposite. Besides, the Twins seem to be able to handle it just fine, let's not forget that Hank is on an unbelievable iron man streak. If their style was really overly punishing, they would both miss a lot more games.

If we're talking the crap that goes on between the whistles, yes, that is on the refs. The Twins can't seem to win in this regard. If they take it, they are soft. If they fight back, then the other team is getting under their skin and they risk taking themselves off the ice for 2mins. It's lose, lose no matter what the Twins do.

7. Hal 9000*

Hal 9000* Guest

We've let go Glass, Torres and Rome. Nothing we could do about Rypien - obviously. I don't Booth and Garrison as players that are intimidating or tough to play against. Kassian - OK, I'll give you that (when he decides to play that game).

It feels like Torres was driven out because of the game he plays - only to get signed by a team owned by the NHL. I always thought Rome and Glass were solid support guys, good hitters and whatnot. I don't even feel that Rypien good a fair shake here either.

Maybe we haven't become softer, but we sure haven't addressed the toughness aspect either. As in Torres' case, it's not always what a player does for his team, but what he does to the other team. We sorely seem to lack that.

8. Johnny Canucker

Johnny Canucker Registered User

Last edited by moderator Tiranis: Mar 14, 2013
  9. Tiranis

Tiranis Registered User

Weise is tougher than Glass. Garrison is a punishing player along the boards and in front of the net, even if he doesn't go out of his way to hit guys all the time. Booth is 3rd on the team in hits per game.

10. Laterade

Laterade Registered User

11. Reverend Mayhem

Reverend Mayhem Fire this man

Bikini Inspektor
    This pretty much sums it up. I can't really think of a big whiner that isn't Canadian either...nothing comes to mind though everyone you mentioned is a captain, some of them do take it over the top.

If you want an example of how little refs think of the Sedins:

No penalty called. What a ****ing joke.

12. Reverend Mayhem

Reverend Mayhem Fire this man

Bikini Inspektor
    That's different, he was getting jobbed all night and we lost two points in a professional hockey league where fans pay money to watch players play and refs try and call a fair game because a ref had a power trip.

13. arsmaster*

arsmaster* Guest

Glass, haha that was good for a laugh.

For as bad a wrap Weise gets for his fighting skills, he's never been dominated like this in a fight wearing Canuck colours.

That is a momentum sapping fight loss if I've ever seen one.

14. Bad News Benning

Bad News Benning Fallin for Dahlin?

nuck fan/student
    Home Page:
    2nd ref also takes up more room on the ice so anything that gives the players more space is a bonus for me. The whole point of the 2 ref system was to catch more obstruction yet refs don't call obstruction anymore, let alone anything else for that matter, and when they do it's the ref that's 100 feet from the play that makes the call. Too easy for refs to hide in a 2 ref system, but with a one ref system you could always pick out the good refs from the bad ones.

15. luongo321

luongo321 Registered User

Remember the SCFinals? When Brad Marchand repeatedly punch Dan Sedin in the head? Do you remember what happened afterwards? Dan Sedin was given a 10 minute unsportsmanlike penalty for saying something similar to 'when were you going to make the call? after the fifth punch?' (i'm just paraphrasing, but dan sedin said something similar to that in an interview). That was the biggest sign to me that the refs were putting in the screwjob on the Canucks.

The key for the Sedins is to not stand their and act like it doesn't bother them when they are getting pushed around after the whistle. If you just stand there and take it then the refs don't care. However, if you start pushing back and make a big scene about it, then the refs will jump in and do something about it. This season, I have been very happy with how Henrik Sedin has been pushing people back, especially after the whistle. I obviously don't want him to fight, but just that little shove gets the refs attention so the sedins have to put up with less crap. Does that make sense? That's just my take on it.

16. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

Torres was driven out by a better player = Higgins. Who is much better along the wall and in the corners, and everywhere else.

Weise is a clear upgrade on Glass IMO.

We added Sestito.

Booth and Kassian replaced Samuelsson and Raymond in the top6 = major upgrade in toughness and board work.

Now there's a call for a bigger, all situation C. Meaning, this team's middle six is likely to be much bigger and harder to play against than what it was. And we all know Garrison adds size and crease clearing to the D.

This team is much tougher to play against. Unfortunately, it's cost them something in the goal scoring department... But then that should improve a bit as we go here.

17. CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh Registered User

Torres would be great to bring back. Awesome 3rd liner, scares the crap outta the opposing team. He's playing top notch right now too, 5g 9p in 18gp, better than any of our forwards after the Sedins. Seems like he's really trying to clean his game up too, still a tank in the playoffs.

18. petrishriekandgo

petrishriekandgo Why not us?

Home Page:
  19. Johnny Canucker

I dont remember a single fight Weiss won handedly.

20. pahlsson

pahlsson Registered User

you're right, there is no conspiracy. that doesn't mean the refs haven't been hilariously incompetent this season, often times resulting in the canucks getting the short end of the stick.

21. Alflives*

Alflives* Guest

Weiss has broken a lot of other guy's knuckles on that skull of his.

22. ddawg1950

ddawg1950 Registered User

Musician
  23. arsmaster*

arsmaster* Guest

It's human nature to let past offenses influence present decisions.

The refs come into games with game plans, they don't call the rule book. that's an issue.

It's not a conspiracy, it's human nature, that unfortunately is rampant in the NHL reffing decisions.

24. CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh Registered User

Weise has improved a lot in the fighting department, he has taken on some legit opponents and is the only Canuck not to get ragdolled this year. Also leads the team in scraps. Winning doesn't really change much, he stands toe to toe and more than serves his purpose.

25. Johnny Canucker

Disagree, nobody likes getting their face filled in, and teams dont fear this fighting Dale Weiss or Tom Sestito for that matter. We do not have 1 good fighter outside of Bieksa who wont/shouldnt fight anymore