The Sedin Abuse

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
i just had to start a thread after the last game ... the abuse of the sedins continues ... slashing elbowing hooking trash talking holding ... it's just goes on and on ... the refs make the odd call but it's over the top ... why doesn't AV replace burrows with kassian or another body that can protect them ... we are going nowhere till they solve this problem ... just awful to watch ...

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
i just had to start a thread after the last game ... the abuse of the sedins continues ... slashing elbowing hooking trash talking holding ... it's just goes on and on ... the refs make the odd call but it's over the top ... why doesn't AV replace burrows with kassian or another body that can protect them ... we are going nowhere till they solve this problem ... just awful to watch ...

It is annoying. Along the same lines, why doesn't AV replace Burrows with Kassian because Burrows is playing like a POS lately? He's not getting anything done on that line, so why not try Kassian? He did manage to pot 5 goals there earlier in the year. Not only does Kassian protect them a bit, but he might be able to light the lamp and bust his slump.

Burrows goes to another line to work his ass off and bust his slump, he might even get another line going. (Don't get me wrong, Burrows always works hard, but he's out of sync for the last handful of games.) Of course, it will take AV 10 more games to figure this out. :shakehead

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
It is annoying. Along the same lines, why doesn't AV replace Burrows with Kassian because Burrows is playing like a POS lately? He's not getting anything done on that line, so why not try Kassian? He did manage to pot 5 goals there earlier in the year. Not only does Kassian protect them a bit, but he might be able to light the lamp and bust his slump.

Burrows goes to another line to work his ass off and bust his slump, he might even get another line going. (Don't get me wrong, Burrows always works hard, but he's out of sync for the last handful of games.) Of course, it will take AV 10 more games to figure this out. :shakehead

totally agree

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The Sedins need to yell at officials more. I'm dead serious. People think it will work against them, but it won't. Most of the biggest whiners in the league are "good Canadian boys" with a sense of entitlement (Toews, Thornton, Crosby), and they get the calls because of it.

I think that's why Ovechkin finally snapped and said something last week and got crushed for it, but in the long run I think it might work to his benefit.

The only trick is you can't do it to the point where you're Todd Bertuzzi screaming about every offside. You also can't be a Canuck :sarcasm:

arsmaster*

Change the thread title to NHL's horrendous officiating.

It has nothing to do with the Sedin's. League wide it is a joke.

I will say, calls do not seem to be favouring the Canucks at all. Plays that get called in every other game don't seem to get called on us, nor do they officiate games the same way.

eg. Booth's slashing penalty against Columbus vs No call against Henrik for a play with about 100x the force.

Oh well, I'm used to it now.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Brian Burke used to make videos of the non-calls and sends them to the league head office. It might not amount to much more than to vent frustration but Gillis should think about it.

arsmaster*

The Sedins need to yell at officials more. I'm dead serious. People think it will work against them, but it won't. Most of the biggest whiners in the league are "good Canadian boys" with a sense of entitlement (Toews, Thornton, Crosby), and they get the calls because of it.

I think that's why Ovechkin finally snapped and said something last week and got crushed for it, but in the long run I think it might work to his benefit.

The only trick is you can't do it to the point where you're Todd Bertuzzi screaming about every offside. You also can't be a Canuck :sarcasm:

Yeah, I like that they're doing this now.

No more being passive. They're games have taken another step this year. They won't be intimidated on the ice, they initiate contact all over the ice, and they don't take **** from the refs anymore.

I like that they don't give them the 'look' anymore, they yell at them now.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It's because the book on the Sedins is take away their space, and you do that by getting in their way and grabbing hold where you can. The NHL refereeing is completley terrible, but I don't think much would change should the Sedins start yelling at refs. Teams will still do what they have to do in order to stop the Sedins.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Auger. You think the refs don't get together and ***** when one of their own is "fired" because of a complaint in the media? You think there's any love lost there for the Canucks?

I don't think you have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that insular boys' clubs (ref's union) might have an us-and-them mentally.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Auger. You think the refs don't get together and ***** when one of their own is "fired" because of a complaint in the media? You think there's any love lost there for the Canucks?

I don't think you have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that insular boys' clubs (ref's union) might have an us-and-them mentally.

the canuck's weren't the first team to criticize auger, and they weren't the last. the fact of the matter is every team complains about the refs, and the # of calls even out over the course of a season.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the canuck's weren't the first team to criticize auger, and they weren't the last. the fact of the matter is every team complains about the refs, and the # of calls even out over the course of a season.

the number of calls evening out isn't important, though, it's maintaining the reputation that the officiating is competent enough that you can forgive missed calls because they were tough ones

i could create a random number generator that gives penalties on a variety of approaches to hits (parallel line chasing the puck neutral zone? 0.2. open ice neutral zone hit? 0.4. offensive zone behind the net collision? 0.9) and it would even out over a year, but nobody would be able to discern why a penalty was called. this is a bad system, and is similar to the one we have now

the difference, by the way, is that the current system is not only random, but also different every game. if the chances were 0.2 for a thing every game, fine, but sometimes its 0.8 and sometimes its 0.2 and you're left to wonder "why the **** was this a penalty two days ago and not now?"

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
the number of calls evening out isn't important, though, it's maintaining the reputation that the officiating is competent enough that you can forgive missed calls because they were tough ones

i could create a random number generator that gives penalties on a variety of approaches to hits (parallel line chasing the puck neutral zone? 0.2. open ice neutral zone hit? 0.4. offensive zone behind the net collision? 0.9) and it would even out over a year, but nobody would be able to discern why a penalty was called. this is a bad system, and is similar to the one we have now

the difference, by the way, is that the current system is not only random, but also different every game. if the chances were 0.2 for a thing every game, fine, but sometimes its 0.8 and sometimes its 0.2 and you're left to wonder "why the **** was this a penalty two days ago and not now?"
yes, but what i'm saying is that all teams have to deal with this inconsistency which is why i'm saying that there is no conspiracy against the canucks.

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
An obvious suggestion is to build a team around players who don't need quite so much protecting.

I don't buy the idea that the Sedins need more "protecting" than any other star player. They're among the toughest players in the league, with the amount of hacks and hits they take by continually taking the puck to the tough areas.

Hal 9000*

The Canucks have gone with this "turn the other cheek and the calls will come our way" philosophy. Well, it's been 3 years since Gillis started that idea, and nothing has changed. With the exception of Sistito, who is an enforcer that cant fight, this team gets softer every year.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Canucks have gone with this "turn the other cheek and the calls will come our way" philosophy. Well, it's been 3 years since Gillis started that idea, and nothing has changed. With the exception of Sistito, who is an enforcer that cant fight, this team gets softer every year.

We replaced Samuelsson with Booth, Hodgson with Kassian, and Salo with Garrison. How exactly is this team getting softer?

Outside99*

Refs aren't doing their jobs, period.

There is more clutch and grab in this conference than the East and guess what, there's less scoring. There's been a couple of games (notably first in CBJ) where the modus operandi was clearly "let them play" and, those were low scoring affairs.

The league is talking about increasing net size to get more scoring going but there is a simpler and immediate solution: call all penalties and review each game and rate the refs for missed calls - this idea would also prevent bias against a particular team or player.

Meanwhile they put 2 zebras on the ice which has not resulted in better officiating - if anything it makes them more incompetent as they're more prone to circle the wagons and less to just calling the game properly- if there's been improvement, its because of going upstairs/Toronto.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
and the # of calls even out over the course of a season.

Which is exactly the problem with the officiating system. Everything essentially evens out, which some teams use as encouragement to hook and hold ad naueseum because they know they'll never be penalized commensurately for it.

If a team interferes 45% more often than their opposition, they should be called 45% more often. Period. Referee game management is a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->