Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is true, but my overall point is that it wasn’t exactly an off the board pick, and picking at 9 is a different universe of a situation than the top 2.

Yeah Kravstov wasn't off the board at all. Forget the analysts, a bunch of NHL teams don't have a solid scouting base in Russia.

We weren't the only team that had him top 10 either.

Lias had the great luck of being the first pick in the grouping after what was seen as the best players in that draft. He wasn't the guy who I wanted (I was all aboard the Suzuki train) but he wasn't exactly "off the board" either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There’s no real mystery who the top two players are.

We pick second.

No mystery.

Now if we were picking third, or our original sixth spot, we’re talking about a number of possibilities.

I could go one step further.

The no 2 spot is the only spot this draft where there is no debate afterwards.

No 1: Hughes or Kakko
No 3 and lower: Several players who are in the conversation

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I could go one step further.

The no 2 spot is the only spot this draft where there is no debate afterwards.

No 1: Hughes or Kakko
No 3 and lower: Several players who are in the conversation

That was the running joke prior to the lottery as well - the second pick was the harmonious pick.

There was no debate. We wouldn’t be the team who has to choose between Hughes and Kakko, and we wouldn’t be the team who has to choose from among everyone else.

Reactions: RangerSeth

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
There’s no real mystery who the top two players are.

We pick second.

No mystery.

Now if we were picking third, or our original sixth spot, we’re talking about a number of possibilities.
If we had 3, we’d be yelling for one of Byram, Cozens/Dach or Turcotte/Zegras and end up with Podkolzin.

Reactions: WeRa and Edge

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Now that I think about it, would anyone be surprised if we trade back into the top 10 and ended up taking Podkolzin with one of the centers still on the board?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Now that I think about it, would anyone be surprised if we trade back into the top 10 and ended up taking Podkolzin with one of the centers still on the board?
I would, only because Pod cannot come over for at least 2 years. I don’t know if the Rangers want to wait that long on someone they would be moving up for.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would, only because Pod cannot come over for at least 2 years. I don’t know if the Rangers want to wait that long on someone they would be moving up for.

Podkolzin is signed for another 2 seasons. That doesn't mean he cannot come over. KHL players have the option to buy out their KHL contract as long as they do it at least 18 months before the contract expires

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Every fanbase of a team that has the first or second overall picks will always worry about the team going off the board with their pick. And it pretty much never happens.

Relax. They're picking one of Hughes or Kakko.

Reactions: WeRa and RangerSeth

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
For posterity, I’ll reiterate here that if the Rangers pick anyone other than Kakko at #2 I am seriously finished as a fan. I will do the rational thing and pick a team that has players that I like on it.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Podkolzin is signed for another 2 seasons. That doesn't mean he cannot come over. KHL players have the option to buy out their KHL contract as long as they do it at least 18 months before the contract expires
When has a player actually bought out their contract though? It’s on them and not as if the team can pay for it. I’m also pretty sure he has said he wants to play out the contract.

I’m also a bit worried about Pod’s production in general but that’s a different issue entirely.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Every fanbase of a team that has the first or second overall picks will always worry about the team going off the board with their pick. And it pretty much never happens.

Relax. They're picking one of Hughes or Kakko.
I don’t know why we’re even worrying when freaking Bob said we’re taking Kakko.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When has a player actually bought out their contract though? It’s on them and not as if the team can pay for it. I’m also pretty sure he has said he wants to play out the contract.

I’m also a bit worried about Pod’s production in general but that’s a different issue entirely.

What Podkolzin has said was that he does not want to come over if he isn't ready to play in the NHL. If a team feels comfortable bringing him over, he can buy out his contract.

Player-elected buy outs happen from time to time in the KHL, for various reasons.

My reservations regarding Podkolzin are not because of his contract situation. It's his lack of performance in the MHL and VHL. He just isn't that good unless he plays for the national team.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
What Podkolzin has said was that he does not want to come over if he isn't ready to play in the NHL. If a team feels comfortable bringing him over, he can buy out his contract.

Player-elected buy outs happen from time to time in the KHL, for various reasons.
I guess, I just don’t think that he is ready and I think there are other options I’d rather have in a move up. I like the talent but I have serious concerns about his production.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I guess, I just don’t think that he is ready and I think there are other options I’d rather have in a move up. I like the talent but I have serious concerns about his production.

99% outside the top-2 needs 2 years before they are NHL ready. You aren't getting an NHL ready player by trading up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->