The Second 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jasek on a 2 on 1 elects to shoot and basically whiffs. Falls hard into the end boards. Makes it to the bench and is worked on there.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Big stop by Bachman.

Another big glove stop by Bachie. The Comets regress to their normal selves and are surrendering great chances and the D keeps sinking and the Bruins are wide open all over the zone. Shots are now 10-3 Bruins with under 8 to go in the first.

Comets offense is struggle struggle to get passes to one another in the o-zone but always under pressure. What an opposite from the Bruins who cruise around the zone with ease, make tape to tape passes and walk to the net front or take hard close in shots.

TV TO 5:58 and Bachman now has 13 saves.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Now the game stops with a Bruin laying face down immobile in front of the benches. Stretcher being brought out.

Player is 19-yr-old Jakub Lauko, a rookie forward from the Czech Republic.

Captains are conversing with the refs at center ice while the first aid crew works hard on Lauko.
He's been down a while. Finally lifted to the stretcher. It's good to see this training staff operate quickly and get him off properly. He is lifting his left thumb on his way off.

Not asking him to walk it off himself, if you catch my drift. Boeser, cough/cough.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets cannot get any strong rush started.

Arseneau dishes out a Vinny hit. Nice to see the Sheriff is back.

Trent Frederic takes offense and slams Vinny into the end boards and is given 2 for boarding.

Comets to the PP.

Typically lose the draw and have to go back and start over. Lind gave it away in his own end on the goal line and the PKer gets a clean break, but it rolls off his stick. That's the only good chance in the first 1:30 of the PP. Last 30 seconds by the second unit sees good movement and a couple shots at the net but no saves necessary. PP is empty.

The first unit didn't make much of an appearance.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
1st comes to an end.

0-0 score, but it's Bachman with 16 stops

SOG 16-8 Providence.

Doesn't matter who the keeper is, he faces a barrage of great scoring chances . This Comets team will continue to gradually fall farther out and farther in the standings as this consistent **** play defensively will never fly.

I said at the beginning of the season I would give this extremely inexperienced AHL defense corps a decent # of games before passing judgement. I have said after several games they have struggled mightily, but added in the forwards to the lax defensive coverage.

Tonight is Game #23. I've given them a chance to prove themselves. They have not done such. If anything they are worse than when they started.

Here is my simplest analysis. This is the weakest defense corps the Comets have iced in their 7 seasons here. They are not strong on the puck. They are weak on the boards. They are walked like pylons game after game. They don't play the man nearly enough. They sink and are taken all the way to the net. Their clearing passes are way too weak and easily stopped by the opponents who just crank it up all over again. They are terrible tying up men in front and protecting the back door. They turn the puck over in their own zone with bad pass after bad pass. I think I said a D-corps this young in this league would destined to fail and they are fulfilling that expectation.

The head coach of the Comets is Trent Cull. He played 10 years as a D-man logging 438 AHL games where he amassed a whopping 70 points and 1049 PIM. He coached the D-men in Syracuse for 4 seasons before being named the Comets Head coach in 2017. This is 3rd year with the Comets and this kind of D has had a habit of occurring. It has never been worse than this season. With an ex-pro defenseman and a pro defense coach you would have to connect some of this to his personal failure and part to the management team in Vancouver/Utica for thinking this could actually work without a couple of solid vets.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
2nd under way and Bachie makes a sensational glove stop.
Here they come again. Another great stop but he has no chance on the rebound as an unchecked Bruin drives it home for the first goal of the game.

1-0 Providence.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Shots are now 23-10 with 15:38 to go in the 2nd. If this were to continue, the Bruins are looking at 50 shots easily. You just have to wonder if they pick up a couple more goals, will they take their foot off the gas. Right now the Comets have no answer for slowing them down.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No Comet, forward especially but also D-man, will actually race to the puck possessor and try to disturb their plans. They just stand or coast at them waving their stick back and forth like a long magic wand or mop if you will. The opponents no matter what team, ignore them and do what ever they please.
You would think that after facing immediate pressure every time they touch the puck themselves that they would wake up and do such themselves. That's why I have recently questioned game after game if this a style the coaching staff is encouraging. If it is, they should be cleaned out en masse and take their GM with them as he is allowing this ****storm to grow in size.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Juolevi off for 2 with just under 11 to go.

Ask Bailey and Juolevi if they enjoy the same uncontested stance anywhere they wish in the net front of any team like the opponents get every PP vs the Comets.

Comets can't get possession after the Penalty ends. Lind with a chance to clear so the team can get some changes, but he just blindly backhands it from the end boards and it's right to the point man and now Teves takes another penalty under the excessive pressure. This is just so sad. Such weak defensive play from an AHL hockey team.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The best D the Comets are getting is coming from bad passes or missed shots by the Bruins.

Boucher presses the Bruin keeper and he ices the puck. From the draw it takes the Bruins less that 5 seconds to get back into the Utica zone and blast another shot on Bachie.

Get a chance to clear, turn it over, another shot at Bachie.

Escape that PP as well thanks to the best Comet thus far, Bachman, who hasn't played a game since 12/21/19, almost one year ago to the day.

30-10 SOG/14-2 this period.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Rafferty was high sticked. No call. Holding his face and finally play stops due to a penalty, but not on the culprit.

Comets get a PP.

Boucher a pass to the back door and Bailey S----C-----F-----E-----S again.

It's 1-1. They need to kiss Bachman's ring at this point.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bruin reaction to the goal is an onslaught into the Comets zone.

Once again 5 on 5 looks like a Bruin PP.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Comets basically lifeless on a back-to-back.....Bachman the only thing between the team and a blowout. I guess help is on the way in the form of Goldy and MacEwen.

But still going to be a struggle to make the playoffs in the North Division.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
period 2 comes to an end.

score is 1-1

SOG 19-5. 19 to ******* 5!!!

2-period total 35-13.

Sometimes the game of hockey is completely impossible to explain.

1 goal on 13 shots is pretty normal. 1 goal on 35 shots in 2 periods is definitely not normal. LOL

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I've been away from the game. TV TO upon my return. Still 1-1 with 13:40 to go.

Any change in the play of either team Megaman?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
lol

lvUgtjb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad