2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
woo f***ing hoo we get to tank in the year of Maybe Adequate NHL Players so our suffering is not only prolonged but it's for f***-all payoff boy I'm so excited for this new era

It is the most Blue Jackets thing ever that this is the draft year in which we go full on train wreck.

Reactions: GoJackets1

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So trading say the 27th pick and 6th to move up to get Berniers wouldn't be worth it? If I was Jarmo I'd make that trade to get any of the top guys I really wanted.

I’d make that trade. I don’t know how far the 27th pick moves you.

I think there is a gap somewhere before the 6th spot. I don’t know where it is though. Is is between 2 and 3 after Power and Beniers? Is it after 5 (Powers, Beniers, Edvinsson, Hughes, Guenther)?

If the draft goes something like Powers, Guenther, Edvinsson and the team at 4 is eyeing Wallstedt but thinks he’ll still be there later, they might trade back to 6 and then maybe even trade back again say if someone wants to move up to 6 to get Johnson or Clarke. Always dangerous to take a goalie so high so maybe they can trade 4 for 6 and 6 for 10.

So there are scenarios that get us Beniers for 4 and 27, but I doubt it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So trading say the 27th pick and 6th to move up to get Berniers wouldn't be worth it? If I was Jarmo I'd make that trade to get any of the top guys I really wanted.

Sure, if you think Beniers is going to be a #1C, and have him in a higher tier than whoever you expect to be there at #6, then trade up.

I watched about 10-20 minutes of video on each of the Michigan guys and I came to the tentative conclusion that Power is a tier ahead of everyone else, and Beniers is just okay. I can see why a lot of folks just expect him to be a #2C. In that case you'd be better off just taking whichever of Beniers, Guenther, Clarke, Edvinsson, or Hughes that make it to #6.

I currently have #6 at the end of the second tier, and being at the end of a tier is where you want to sit.

I’d make that trade. I don’t know how far the 27th pick moves you.

I think there is a gap somewhere before the 6th spot. I don’t know where it is though. Is is between 2 and 3 after Power and Beniers? Is it after 5 (Powers, Beniers, Edvinsson, Hughes, Guenther)?

If the draft goes something like Powers, Guenther, Edvinsson and the team at 4 is eyeing Wallstedt but thinks he’ll still be there later, they might trade back to 6 and then maybe even trade back again say if someone wants to move up to 6 to get Johnson or Clarke. Always dangerous to take a goalie so high so maybe they can trade 4 for 6 and 6 for 10.

So there are scenarios that get us Beniers for 4 and 27, but I doubt it.

I still haven't seen all of these guys, but I like Clarke. Seems like an RH Werenski. I'd have him in the second tier.

Power LD

Edvinsson LD
Clarke RD
Hughes LD
Beniers C
Guenther W

There's also a good chance one of the goalies (Wallstedt, Cossa) or one of the next wingers (Eklund, Johnson) is taken before my second tier is all gone, so I feel pretty safe sitting at #6. It might even be Beniers at #6.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
tenor.gif

Ottawa won last night, passing the CBJ in the standings.
I believe we're cemented in our spot... Anaheim and New Jersey are 5 points back, they're not going to catch us.

Lots of talk about this unknown draft, not many strong players, etc.
I've always felt player development is much more important than drafting. Of course it helps to pick a kid with great skills, but we've all seen many busts over the years - the draft is essentially a crapshoot. There's so many variables, you never know how a kid is going to turn out or what factors are going to affect him, etc.
It's the development where a team can make a difference in creating a great player.

Reactions: LJ7201

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
It is the most Blue Jackets thing ever that this is the draft year in which we go full on train wreck.
It doesn't matter because if we were this bad the year Connor Bedard was going #1, no way they'd let us win the lottery. :sarcasm:

I assume very few if any of the prospects this year will be NHL ready, which is a shame. I want Beniers, but it does suck knowing that the top center in the draft is considered to most likely be a 2C. I feel like that happens so rarely. Option 2 for me would be Power or Hughes, and then use a defenseman as a trade chip for a 1C.

LokiCalder

Apr 20, 2021
I don't think there's a chance they do the lotto by just overall points, it'd going to be points percentage or a combo of points and points percentage.

For example, a team like Vancouver could play 10 less games than us, with less points, but higher points percentage and still be locked into a spot ahead of us just because they played less games and had less points.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Isn't Eklund a very highly rated Center? and Raty was the #1 prospect a year ago eh? Johnson from UM is a pretty creative centre too.

Eklund and Johnson are currently wingers and are expected to be wingers at the NHL level. Raty is a center but more likely to be a bottom six guy, maybe a total bust.

There is a chance that Johnson could be moved back to center but he would have a long way to go. I read that he filled in at center while Beniers was out and bombed.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
I still think we should take Beniers from this draft. If it requires trading up a spot or two, then so be it. He's exactly the type of center who would in the long run slot between Laine and Bjork perfectly on paper. Reality can be different of course, but I'd love to see Beniers as a Blue Jacket.

Reactions: NTDP

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I still think we should take Beniers from this draft. If it requires trading up a spot or two, then so be it. He's exactly the type of center who would in the long run slot between Laine and Bjork perfectly on paper. Reality can be different of course, but I'd love to see Beniers as a Blue Jacket.

I think Beniers go very high in this draft and would like him as well. Kid's motor is always going and he strips pucks consistently in the neutral zone and along the boards. His playmaking ability is better than some give him credit for. I've seen some people with Power as far down as 9 though I don't think he falls that far. I think the forward group in this draft is deeper than some think it is.

At the top of my draft list though I've had Eklund there since last November. I'm not trying to be trendy putting him up there I just have loved what I've seen. Can bury on hard one timers and has great escapability in the corners and cuts right to the net - was fun to see him do that in some games in the SHL against men. Just my opinion I would like to see him as a Jacket the most.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I don`t know these players but i very like Chibrikov and Svechkov.

Chibrikov has been good even in some SKA St. Petersburg KHL games this year. Another that is having a great U-18 World's right now is Prokhor Poltapov. Was great below the dots and fights through checks, on top of that he can make plays w/ the puck. He's one of those tricky ones where I don't know exactly where I slide him in the first round.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I think Beniers go very high in this draft and would like him as well. Kid's motor is always going and he strips pucks consistently in the neutral zone and along the boards. His playmaking ability is better than some give him credit for. I've seen some people with Power as far down as 9 though I don't think he falls that far. I think the forward group in this draft is deeper than some think it is.

At the top of my draft list though I've had Eklund there since last November. I'm not trying to be trendy putting him up there I just have loved what I've seen. Can bury on hard one timers and has great escapability in the corners and cuts right to the net - was fun to see him do that in some games in the SHL against men. Just my opinion I would like to see him as a Jacket the most.
Eklund plays very intelligent hockey. I like his approach to the game

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Chibrikov has been good even in some SKA St. Petersburg KHL games this year. Another that is having a great U-18 World's right now is Prokhor Poltapov. Was great below the dots and fights through checks, on top of that he can make plays w/ the puck. He's one of those tricky ones where I don't know exactly where I slide him in the first round.
Btw Kirsanov is interesting too. He played very good in SKA.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I've been playing with this idea on the draft simulator. It makes a lot of sense to trade up using a late 1st if Beniers is available at 4/5 and the Jackets are picking at 6/7, and if we are not as sold on the other players available. I tend not to make the trade up though if there are some other guys I like, such as Brandt Clarke, who looks like a #1D to me. I'm sure @NTDP wouldn't trade up to 4 if we're at 6 and Eklund, Beniers, and Power are all available after pick three.

Reactions: 6zag and NTDP

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I watched a couple of Eklund game videos and came away thinking
1) smart smart player, he'll be in the league for a while.
2) not sure if he is quite elusive/quick enough to be a top tier small playmaker (e.g. Marner, Gaudreau, etc...). He got contained more than I would like for a small player. It's easier to see him becoming a Jaden Schwartz 2W type. What do you see?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Fair points. and those could be good comparisons. I'm not huge on comparing guys because I feel like I'm not great at it (haha) and prospects are more different now than they've ever been and have a unique range of skill sets. Like it's not an anomaly anymore for a big guy to have speed and mobility and make plays like a 5'10" guy.

I just see a guy that has lethal striking ability when the puck is on his stick. He's not afraid to shoot and has slick play making ability. Was one play vs Frolunda where he blew past a D and acted like he was tucking around the net and made a behind the back pass to Holtz who buried short side while the goalie was leaning thinking Eklund was doing a wraparound. Just little things like that. He also is defensively aware and reads where the breakout is going and uses an active stick in the neutral zone to disrupt passes. He's not in a class of his own on my list, as others have similar traits. I'm just higher on him than others I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad