2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Season is far from over, but they need to be that Blue Jackets they were in the 1st period against Chigago, and obviously score from their chances as well.

I am still hopeful they will make it.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
The team should try to get Eklund on lottery or idk not sure they need another D or G

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The team should try to get Eklund on lottery or idk not sure they need another D or G

Eklund is probably a second line winger. No sure-bet topline talent this year, it looks like the 2012 draft. The team needs good prospects at every position.

What can we get at the TDL for:

Foligno
Savard
Grigorenko
Nash

Foligno - Definitely a late 1st, maybe 1st plus a decent prospect.
Savard - Late 1st at best, 2nd+3rd at worst (cf. Brendon Dillon).
Grigorenko - 7th rounder? Possibly nothing.
Nash - 3rd or 4th rounder.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I believe CBJ has 5 picks in this years draft

I'd draft 5 centers and hope like hell one of them steps up to become a top line center

We also have the Devils 5th rounder, six total.

But those are mostly late round picks you are talking about, that's not where you get a #1C. That's like hunting for a moose in a Penguin colony. You might get a 2C as late as the 4th round, but even that is rare. When is the last time a #1C came later than the top few rounds? Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

Reactions: 6zag

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I believe CBJ has 5 picks in this years draft

I'd draft 5 centers and hope like hell one of them steps up to become a top line center

Never draft for positional needs. Who knows what you will need in the future? And what if we trade for Eichel? :sarcasm:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Savard could get a late first / early second

lol

Savard is slow and bad. Look up last year's TDL for some rental comps. Age, skill level, $$$ not all exact, sure, but...

Erik Gustafsson returned a 3rd round pick.
Sami Vatanen returend a couple prospects and a conditional 4th.
Derek Forbort (with 25% retained) returned a '21 conditional 4th (I don't think conditions met, so it remained a 4th instead of bumping up to a 3rd).
Dylan DeMelo returned a 3rd round pick.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
We also have the Devils 5th rounder, six total.

But those are mostly late round picks you are talking about, that's not where you get a #1C. That's like hunting for a moose in a Penguin colony. You might get a 2C as late as the 4th round, but even that is rare. When is the last time a #1C came later than the top few rounds? Datsyuk and Zetterberg?
Tampa seems to have a pretty good recipe with Point, Cirelli , both taken in the 3rd round

Pretty maddening with the lack of centers in our organization that Jarmo hasn’t made it a priority to draft some centers that could develop , with it being a premium position , Tampa seem to take the approach of drafting centers for versatility , plus they are premium in the trade market

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Of the four guys on the list, Foligno hands down yields the best return. He’s the type of guy an offensively strong team is looking to add to solidify their 3rd line, not unlike Tampa Bay did with their late season grit additions.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tampa seems to have a pretty good recipe with Point, Cirelli , both taken in the 3rd round

Pretty maddening with the lack of centers in our organization that Jarmo hasn’t made it a priority to draft some centers that could develop , with it being a premium position , Tampa seem to take the approach of drafting centers for versatility , plus they are premium in the trade market
Guys who were drafted as centers by the Blue Jackets in the last five drafts (25 picks total):
PLD
Calvin Thurkauf
Alexandre Texier
Emil Bemstrom
Liam Foudy
Dmitri Voronkov
Tyler Angle
Mikael Pyyhtia

8 players in 25 picks - or 32% of the picks.

Guys who were drafted as centers by the Lightning in the last five drafts (39 picks total):
Brett Howden
Ross Colton
Christopher Paquette
Otto Somppi
Ryan Lohin
Alexei Lipanov
Cole Guttman
Jack Finley
Gage Gonclaves

9 players in 39 picks - or 23% of the picks.

I was originally going to do just the last four drafts (mostly because f*** PLD) but then noticed that Tampa Bay went on a binge in 2016 and so felt that should be included for fairness. Without 2016 folks, we go to 6 players in 20 picks (30%) and they go to 4 players in 29 picks (14%).

By the way, in terms of NHL games played, Tampa Bay's Cs have 156 games played - 155 of which are by Brett Howden, and the other one is by his fellow 2016 draftee Ross Colton, so if you take out 2016 like I was originally planning they have 0 (zero). The Jackets' have 386 - obviously most of those are by the recently departed traitor, but even removing all 2016 draftees we've got 139. Could probably cut that in half too, since Bemstrom hasn't played at center at the NHL level, but that's still considerably higher than 0.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020

I believe major was talking about 4th round and later. Plenty of examples of good and elite players being taken into the 4th round, but very very few elite players ever come out of the latter half of the draft. Tampa has had some big hits, but so many teams are not so lucky, us included. I'm hopeful that more of an emphasis will come for centers we draft, but the draft is such a crap shoot even in the first round.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m willing to concede the playoffs are out of reach. If Torts and Jarmo are still believers, maybe three more games will be a final determinant. As such, the script should call for Foligno and Jenner to play no more than 16 minutes a game with no duties. We know who they are; we need to learn what we have in some others,

Texier needs to play 2C so we can see what he offers. And Domi, who clearly is not a fav or mine, needs to play center - maybe between Foligno and Jenner - who can help him defensively.

While I’d like to see Stenlund continue at Center, even if it remains 4th line, I’d be happy to see him get top 6 minutes with Tex and Bjork. And then there’s Bemstrom, who I think should be in Cleveland. But if he’s going to be here on this non-contending team, let’s see what we have. And playing 5 minutes a night isn’t going to cut it.

On D, trade Savard or 3rd pair him. He’s not our future nor is Del Zotto (who has given what was reasonable to expect from him).

My emphasis on younger guys may look like a different take than I’ve had previously, but the team’s playoff outlook is quite different from where it stood previously.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I believe major was talking about 4th round and later. Plenty of examples of good and elite players being taken into the 4th round, but very very few elite players ever come out of the latter half of the draft. Tampa has had some big hits, but so many teams are not so lucky, us included. I'm hopeful that more of an emphasis will come for centers we draft, but the draft is such a crap shoot even in the first round.

The discussion was #1 c are not found outside the top of the first round , with the comment that you are lucky to find a #2 c as late as the 4th round , but that’s pretty rare . Tampa has drafted some great centers in round 3 , those were just top of my head .

As for the cbj , aside from PLD , either our center drafting has been really bad , or what we ask centers to do in our systems are a problem . Both Karlsson , and Wennberg look and produce like different players as they have left Columbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
lol

Savard is slow and bad. Look up last year's TDL for some rental comps. Age, skill level, $$$ not all exact, sure, but...

Erik Gustafsson returned a 3rd round pick.
Sami Vatanen returend a couple prospects and a conditional 4th.
Derek Forbort (with 25% retained) returned a '21 conditional 4th (I don't think conditions met, so it remained a 4th instead of bumping up to a 3rd).
Dylan DeMelo returned a 3rd round pick.

Those aren't Savard's comps. Vatanen maybe - Kuokkannen is a decent prospect. Savard until recently was better than Brendon Dillon, but if you think he's sunk that low, well Brendon Dillon cost a 2nd+3rd. That's his low-end comp right now.

I know he isn't playing well right now but the TDL market is generally favorable to guys like that if they have the top 4D pedigree from years past. There is a big difference between Savard and bottom pair lifers in terms of trade value.

Could probably cut that in half too, since Bemstrom hasn't played at center at the NHL level, but that's still considerably higher than 0.

Or at the SHL level. I don't see the point in this exercise if so many of those guys weren't actually drafted as centers.

Texier needs to play 2C so we can see what he offers. And Domi, who clearly is not a fav or mine, needs to play center - maybe between Foligno and Jenner - who can help him defensively.

I'm nodding along with play the youth, but then what do you think the plus is with Domi back at center? If you're going to be forward looking just trade him. Why would you want a veteran who is bad at center taking up that ice time? I don't see any upside in keeping Domi on this team.

Reactions: Cowumbus

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Those aren't Savard's comps. Vatanen maybe - Kuokkannen is a decent prospect. Savard until recently was better than Brendon Dillon, but if you think he's sunk that low, well Brendon Dillon cost a 2nd+3rd. That's his low-end comp right now.

I know he isn't playing well right now but the TDL market is generally favorable to guys like that if they have the top 4D pedigree from years past. There is a big difference between Savard and bottom pair lifers in terms of trade value.

Or at the SHL level. I don't see the point in this exercise if so many of those guys weren't actually drafted as centers.

I'm nodding along with play the youth, but then what do you think the plus is with Domi back at center? If you're going to be forward looking just trade him. Why would you want a veteran who is bad at center taking up that ice time? I don't see any upside in keeping Domi on this team.
Because of the investment, I want to see if he can or can’t. He has little trade value and the season has little value going forward except for development and auditions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Because of the investment, I want to see if he can or can’t. He has little trade value and the season has little value going forward except for development and auditions.

The investment is in the past. That's just sunk cost fallacy. It's like eating a gross meal that makes you vomit just because you spent $26 on it.

I think Domi's trade value is still >0, maybe decent, so he's worth more in a trade than he is to the CBJ (a huge negative so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->