2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
One player that's really grown on me during the course of the IIHF U-18 worlds is FIN D Jimi Soumi out of Jokerit U20. I don't think he's a top 15 pick but wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo and company took a good look at him with one of their late first rounders if he's there.

He's not the biggest at 5'10" but that's been the norm now for some puck moving D. He has a fluid stride that gets him through the neutral zone with ease and can create zone entries by himself. Even a few times where he retrieved his own dump in. He can quarterback a power play and uses good footwork with vision to distribute the puck around and drive play from the top of the point. Also lets off a quick and accurate wrist shot that can find lanes or shoot for a deflection. Few times too where he held the line strong as the opponent was looking to start a breakout and showed good gap control.

Again, don't think he's a top end pick but wouldn't be shocked if a team took him in the second half of the first round. Could also fall to late 2nd, who knows. P.S. - I hate that the Jackets got a point last night in the OT loss, no moral victories anymore. At this point would love to see them stay in the 5-6 overall range because you have to factor Seattle in there too.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
So, unfortunarely this season is already over for players and im curious what is your favourite player you would love to be drafted by Columbus?

I will post bunch of names i have eye on and may be possibly drafted, including a lot of C's and D's as i see it as priority considering current prospect pool.

At least one of Beniers, Eklund, Pastujov, McTavish, Svechkov, Pinelli, Ceulemans with one of our firsts and maybe to go out of board again and draft Colton Dach, who i see as a possible steal of this draft.

And then there is couple of other interesting players, including some reachs with possible high ceiling: Helenius, Koivunen, Kirsanov, Boucher, Dower Nilsson, Artyem Kulakov, Nikolai Makarov, Nikita Novikov, Del Mastro, Roulette, Victor Stjernborg, Linus Sjodin, Red Savage, Zellweger, Arvid Eljas, Dylan Duke, Daniil Lazutin, Scott Morrow and two overagers, Josh Doan and Ethan Cardwell.

Looking forward to see some other names and your favorites!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Use all three first rounders in the draft, Jarmo. The pipeline needs some fresh blood for the rebuild / retool whatever you want to call it.
I would.. use Zach to get an elite center / forward that can drive the play. I can’t see us signing Seth to 10 mil, and then coming close to that with Zach... time to rebalance assets

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So, unfortunarely this season is already over for players and im curious what is your favourite player you would love to be drafted by Columbus?

I will post bunch of names i have eye on and may be possibly drafted, including a lot of C's and D's as i see it as priority considering current prospect pool.

At least one of Beniers, Eklund, Pastujov, McTavish, Svechkov, Pinelli, Ceulemans with one of our firsts and maybe to go out of board again and draft Colton Dach, who i see as a possible steal of this draft.

And then there is couple of other interesting players, including some reachs with possible high ceiling: Helenius, Koivunen, Kirsanov, Boucher, Dower Nilsson, Artyem Kulakov, Nikolai Makarov, Nikita Novikov, Del Mastro, Roulette, Victor Stjernborg, Linus Sjodin, Red Savage, Zellweger, Arvid Eljas, Dylan Duke, Daniil Lazutin, Scott Morrow and two overagers, Josh Doan and Ethan Cardwell.

At the top I'm most interested in Brandt Clarke, but obviously Beniers would hit the spot for the org. Same with McTavish.

I haven't seen many of these guys yet but names that strike me as potentially underrated on Bob's list: Dach, Lukashevich, Hiemosalmi, Samoskevich, Svechkov, Pinelli, Dean. For overagers I always go for Florian Elias, for obvious reasons.

Edit: Throw in some big guys Huckins, Schmidt, Iorio. And for speed go Tschigerl.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I haven't seen many of these guys yet but names that strike me as potentially underrated on Bob's list: Dach, Lukashevich, Hiemosalmi, Samoskevich, Svechkov, Pinelli, Dean. For overagers I always go for Florian Elias, for obvious reasons.

Edit: Throw in some big guys Huckins, Schmidt, Iorio. And for speed go Tschigerl.

Rimer votes for the non-bolded. He's a bit concerned with Dach, Huckins Schmidt & Iorio,

Bad mispronunciations with them could get him an FCC warning...Iorio just seems like it would give trouble from time to time.

He votes for Dean.

Reactions: koteka

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Rimer votes for the non-bolded. He's a bit concerned with Dach, Huckins Schmidt & Iorio,

Bad mispronunciations with them could get him an FCC warning...Iorio just seems like it would give trouble from time to time.

He votes for Dean.

Having to pronounce Huckins-Schmidt over and over is an accident waiting to happen lol.

Reactions: koteka

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170320

Not to rain on the parade and the hope of the draft, but....................................

There haven't been immediate impact players drafted since the 2016 draft. (I only looked at the first 2 rounds) Ironically the 2 impact players were Matthews and Laine with a case to made for PLD.

Brady Tzachuk scored 22 in his first year (2018 draft).

Unless the CBJ sees some major improvement from the current group AND makes a key trade/UFA/RFA signing, the 2020-21 season is likely to be the norm for the next several years.

Reactions: EspenK

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree with CR. The draft may replenish franchise depth but I see nothing short of a big trade for a significant 1C or a big UFA signing being necessary for a significant improvement in the team’s performance.

Reactions: BullLund

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Auston Matthews Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Not to rain on the parade and the hope of the draft, but....................................

There haven't been immediate impact players drafted since the 2016 draft. (I only looked at the first 2 rounds) Ironically the 2 impact players were Matthews and Laine with a case to made for PLD.

Unless the CBJ sees some major improvement from the current group AND makes a key trade/UFA/RFA signing, the 2020-21 season is likely to be the norm for the next several years.

I don’t think may people are expecting any miracles. Especially not from the incoming draft pick. Unless we win the lottery the player we pick is going back to juniors/college/overseas. And that’s okay.

As far as the roster, again I don’t think people are expecting many miracles. I don’t think anyone thinks we’re going to go from where we are now to an instant contender again. I think what most people want is to go from the basement to playoff bubble, at least that’s what I want. Looking at the metro division, it is stacked. Washington, Pittsburgh, and Carolina are already locks for next years playoffs short of major changes, and we’re behind the islanders and rangers at minimum as well. That doesn’t even give a window in the playoffs and we haven’t even talked about the Atlantic where we are also behind many teams there too.

I feel like with some shakeup we can go from where we are now to just outside the playoff picture. Around where say the rangers are currently.

“Reloading” isn’t just a one year thing. It’s a 2-3 year process. This coming offseason is year 1 of the reload, where we build up our pool and young assets while slightly bolstering the main club. Next year our pool will hopefully be stocked up and give us flexibility to make moves as we see fit, whether that be waiting on the kids and building slowly or trading them off for established pieces

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Auston Matthews Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Teams move way up and down the standings all the time and it almost never has anything to do with how well teenagers play. If I was going to assess the outlook for the Jackets over the next two years, I wouldn't bother looking at the strength of any draft classes. Even in a strong draft year it's just irrelevant.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t think may people are expecting any miracles. Especially not from the incoming draft pick. Unless we win the lottery the player we pick is going back to juniors/college/overseas. And that’s okay.

Even if we win the lottery the player we pick is almost certainly not going to be in the NHL next year. There's no one player that is done and ready.

There's a good chance Vancouver doesn't get enough points to pass us. They're checked out.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Even if we win the lottery the player we pick is almost certainly not going to be in the NHL next year. There's no one player that is done and ready.

There's a good chance Vancouver doesn't get enough points to pass us. They're checked out.

I think there is a top six, excluding goalies which we don’t need. Powers and Beniers may have separated themselves, and then Guenther and three more D (Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson). So I’d be cool with a top 6 pick, although I’d be afraid we’d make a reach pick for a center. I think we have too many needs to reach for a center.

McTavish seems to be rising, so I could see us grabbing him at 6 or 7. We obviously scout Switzerland (Kukan, Thurkauf, Berni) — I could be ok with that pick if the team believes in him.

Werenski will be 24 at the start of the season and Jones will be 27. Having the next good defensemen in the system makes a lot of sense, especially one who can learn from Jones and Werenski and have cost controlled years while those guys make big bucks.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Could he be a good shout for one of our later first round picks?

I think he'll be picked somewhere in that range, not sure if he'd be much of a steal there though. Part of the reason people are talking about him is because he was about 70th on Bob's mid-season list and people think they can get a steal in the second round.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think there is a top six, excluding goalies which we don’t need. Powers and Beniers may have separated themselves, and then Guenther and three more D (Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson). So I’d be cool with a top 6 pick, although I’d be afraid we’d make a reach pick for a center. I think we have too many needs to reach for a center.

McTavish seems to be rising, so I could see us grabbing him at 6 or 7. We obviously scout Switzerland (Kukan, Thurkauf, Berni) — I could be ok with that pick if the team believes in him.

Werenski will be 24 at the start of the season and Jones will be 27. Having the next good defensemen in the system makes a lot of sense, especially one who can learn from Jones and Werenski and have cost controlled years while those guys make big bucks.

Yes I have the same six, I'm not as confident in Eklund's upside. I'm concerned if Vancouver doesn't pass us that we'll end up drafting 7th and have to hold our breath.

I don't think Beniers and Power have separated at all. Beniers might just be there at 6th. I'm more of a Clarke guy, but obviously Beniers would be a great fit. Of course I'm sure I'll change my perspective on the players many times, I've barely seen most of them this early.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yes I have the same six, I'm not as confident in Eklund's upside. I'm concerned if Vancouver doesn't pass us that we'll end up drafting 7th and have to hold our breath.

I don't think Beniers and Power have separated at all. Beniers might just be there at 6th. I'm more of a Clarke guy, but obviously Beniers would be a great fit. Of course I'm sure I'll change my perspective on the players many times, I've barely seen most of them this early.

Clarke makes a lot of sense to me since he could be penciled in as 2RD in 2 or 3 years and then replace Jones eventually. Having 2 really good right Ds is not a bad situation.

I think I am

Power
Beniers
Clarke or Guenther
Edvinsson or Hughes
best forward on CBJ board or trade with team wanting goalie

but, as you say, “Of course I'm sure I'll change my perspective on the players many times, I've barely seen most of them this early.”

And if I trade back with a team wanting a goalie, I am looking at top prospect plus. It would be nice to get a top 2019 or 2020 guy plus a 2022 pick to spread out the ages of our prospects a little.

Reactions: majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Drafting Clarke makes good logical sense but there's this irrational part of me that is still going "BENIERS OR BUST" because center center center need center #1 center where center center need center center center omg center must have center center CENTER AHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGWHARRGARBL

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Svechkov was traded to SKA in these days, Lazutin, similar like Chibrikov a year ago. It isn't quite good because although SKA has excelent possibilities for development it's TOP club and its goal is Gagarin Cup. Plus Roman Rotenberg always wants to keep players. On the other hand if they would work on their play the stay there would very help them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Drafting Clarke makes good logical sense but there's this irrational part of me that is still going "BENIERS OR BUST" because center center center need center #1 center where center center need center center center omg center must have center center CENTER AHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGWHARRGARBL

You're not abandoning the BPA crowd are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad