The Search For a Goaltender

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
For sure a lot of credit goes to Dubnyk and learning to become a professional. He was rattled here. He had a penchant for letting in bad goals at awful times and our team's confidence couldn't withstand it. Then the Cory Schneider debacle happened where we offered more than the Devils did(alledgedly), but the Canucks wanted him out of the division. MacT all but said we needed a better goaltender, and it rattled Dubnyk even more(or so it seemed, because he was awful that last half season). Of course other teams gave up on him, he had no confidence. It took him a while, but he found it.

The point of this thread, however, isn't to debate the goalies we've had, but to understand how in the hell we got to this point to begin with, and how to fix it moving forward. Squandered assets is the flavor of the day in Edmonton. Trading players at all time low values...Yakupov, Gagner, Schultz, Dubnyk.....every team makes mistakes, and we aren't alone, but how can we have so many of these ****ups? This fan base doesn't deserve this. Brutal......Please, hire me as GM...I think I have a better idea than anyone in house of how to fix this mess.

Oilers have some good prospects, in theory anyway. Goalies are voodoo, I'm not sure there's a right answer.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Did you forget that Dubynk was drafted in 2004 and developed for 10 years by this organization and couldn't stop a beach ball and went to Nashville and Arizona before finding his way with Minnesota? He was warranted an exit, he had a decade to prove himself with this team and failed.

What a lazy irresponsible post. Let me help you.

Devan Dubnyk Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Your highly subjective post-hoc analysis has zero basis in fact.

Dubnyk left the team with a .910 SPCT after 4 partial seasons as a goalie on the WORST team in the league. During that time the league average spct was .916. He’s off the average as a 22 to 25 year old on the WORST team by about 1 goal every 6 games.

Must have been his fault

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's been a very long while since we've drafted and developed a starting goalie. (Dubby doesn't count since he didn't establish himself till after he left Edmonton.

We've got
  • Dylan Wells (21 years old 9GP in AHL 3.01 G.A.A and 90.2 sav% 15GP in ECHL 2.86 G.A.A and 91.4 sav%)
  • Stuart Skinner (20 years old 5 GP 4-1 2.78 G.A.A and 89 sav%)
  • Shane Starrett (21 years old 27GP 18-3-3 2SO 2.37 G.A.A and 91.6 sav%)
Well and Starrett are putting up decent numbers for their age, but I'm a firm believer that I should assume that we don't have a starting goalie in the system until we've got proof that we've actually got one.

Starrett has been pretty good this year and he's played a ton of games on Bakersfield's crazy 15 game winning streak.
Are we in a position where we've got no choice but to draft a goalie every year till we know we've got a starting goalie or is it more important for us to be sure that we've secured all other positions so that said potential starting goalie actually comes into an atmosphere where they can succeed?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It starts and ends with a top tier goalie coach. Well, actually management and coaching too but specifically in terms of a goalie it's the goalie coach that plays the most vital role.

Look at the Islanders. Lost Tavares but added Lou (front office), Trotz (head coach) and Mitch Korn (goalie coach) and bam, suddenly they went from worst GAA in the league last season to the best (so far this season).

Their defense is the same as last year but Greiss went from .892 svs% in 27 games last year to currently .930 in 30 games this year. Lehner was not seen as the answer in Buffalo and had .908 last year, goes to the Isles and puts up .929 in svs% on a notoriously bad defensive team.

Pretty incredible goaltending numbers for a team with a defense that I'd argue is worse than ours when healthy. I mean, Nick Leddy, their #1D, was -42 last year. Minus forty-two!!! That's how bad they were last year. So it's an incredible turn-around. But with the proper coaching...

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It starts and ends with a top tier goalie coach. Well, actually management and coaching too but specifically in terms of a goalie it's the goalie coach that plays the most vital role.

Look at the Islanders. Lost Tavares but added Lou (front office), Trotz (head coach) and Mitch Korn (goalie coach) and bam, suddenly they went from worst GAA in the league last season to the best (so far this season).

Their defense is the same as last year but Greiss went from .892 svs% in 27 games last year to currently .930 in 30 games this year. Lehner was not seen as the answer in Buffalo and had .908 last year, goes to the Isles and puts up .929 in svs% on a notoriously bad defensive team.

Pretty incredible goaltending numbers for a team with a defense that I'd argue is worse than ours when healthy. I mean, Nick Leddy, their #1D, was -42 last year. Minus forty-two!!! That's how bad they were last year. So it's an incredible turn-around. But with the proper coaching...

They got Mitch Korn?! Damn, no wonder Lehner is having the year he is. Korn is the goalie whisperer.

Reactions: Zaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad