The scouting staff - something to be optimistic about

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
During this extremely negative period with Sens management/ownership doing their best to destroy the franchise, I think it's worth pointing out the contributions of the only part of this organization that is actively contributing to it's success - the scouting staff.

Since it was overhauled in 2008, the Sens scouting staff has produced among the most NHLers out of any group in the league. It has averaged around 2-3 NHLers per draft, with some legit star talent found in the late rounds. Take a look at what our roster could look like with just their picks alone:

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Silfverberg
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Sorensen - Smith - Noesen
Grant

Lajoie - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
Boro, Harpur

Lehner

That's arguably a playoff quality roster, produced with picks alone (no trades/signings). It's also not even including prospects like JBD, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton, Dahlen, Bowers, Hogberg, Tychonick etc... that project as future NHLers. Hard to believe this team is in it's current state with Sens management being gifted so much young talent.

This team could have as many as 13 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 3 seasons if Duchene and Karlsson re-sign. This number could be even higher with potential returns from Pageau/Tierney and Ceci over the next year or two.

If the scouting staff continues to perform admirably over the next 3YRs, this team will be absolutely loaded with young talent. Something to be positive about, even if things are looking awful right now.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Are we even still employing a scout that was there in 2008 other than Mirkko Ruutu? I remember seeing a pretty high turnover in the scouting department, not sure the current scouting department should get credit for the picks made in the Murray-era.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I truly believe that this team will make the most of these upcoming drafts and can parlay that into a quick turnaround with the right team composition.

However that's all predicated on Melnyk leaving.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
we lost two big scouts in Dorion and Lowe from the scouting staff. As great as a job Mann has done we need his picks to actually convert into impact NHL players before we start giving him big time credit, however it is looking good.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
The 2012-2014 drafts for Ottawa kind of sucked imo, but as a whole I agree they’ve done a hell of a job with what I can only assume are limited resources

However that's all predicated on Melnyk leaving.

And miss the five years of unparalleled success? No chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad