GDT: The Schneiderman's Redemption: ECQF Game 4 - Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Ryan Reaves is also a UFA. Depending on where we are with roster spots... a 1 yr deal there would be interesting specifically because of the issues the team is facing now.

Wouldn't mind Reaves but my main guy is Simmonds. The guy's a legit gamer, would have the same responsibilities on our PP that is currently given to Maroon, can keep up with the rest of linemates and would play in our top #6 without looking out of place.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ryan Reaves is also a UFA. Depending on where we are with roster spots... a 1 yr deal there would be interesting specifically because of the issues the team is facing now.
Oh god no.

Please no. I want players that can actually play. Ryan Reaves isn't good at hockey.

Reactions: Darkauron

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Oh god no.

Please no. I want players that can actually play. Ryan Reaves isn't good at hockey.

I mean, I hear ya. I do. But right now the players that are good at hockey are having a tough time playing it cause they are getting manhandled and are unable or unwilling to answer for that. So, a guy like Reeves is one possible answer for that.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think he loosened some of that up in Toronto because he's mostly just a figurehead in Toronto. Obviously he gets to make some decisions, more than if he had stayed here, but I don't think he's really in charge there. They did adopt a few of his policies, like no media on the team plane and the clean shaven thing. He probably has a say in things, but also can easily be overruled by Shanny, which wasn't the case when he was here.

oh wait they still have the shaving rule? good lord

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Wouldn't mind Reaves but my main guy is Simmonds. The guy's a legit gamer, would have the same responsibilities on our PP that is currently given to Maroon, can keep up with the rest of linemates and would play in our top #6 without looking out of place.
Simmonds is signed through next season. Would love to have him though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
oh wait they still have the shaving rule? good lord
I remember Jonathan Bernier commenting that he had to shave before the season started a few years back. Maybe they've since went back on that, but they did have that policy when Lou first got there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Penguins just traded a first-rounder for Reaves (lol) then gave up on him halfway through the season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL suggesting signing Reeves is one of the worst suggestions I have heard on here in a long time. And that is saying something
He's awful and if what's happened in the playoffs is reason to sign him, most teams that actually dress goons in the regular season aren't using them in the playoffs. So even if he was on the roster, he probably wouldn't have played in these playoffs anyway.

He's very bad at hockey. Like imagine how bad Miles Wood was last year, but even worse and he won't even score for you and chip in offense like Wood did last year.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
LOL suggesting signing Reeves is one of the worst suggestions I have heard on here in a long time. And that is saying something

It really isn't, I'm sorry.

After the weak response we showed against a bunch of fly weights like Kucherov and Killhorn, I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Just having that presence on the bench will keep the opposition in check. I would bet my life savings that if we did have Reaves, there's not one dirty hit delivered on any of our guys. After Hedman speared Nico, he turned around at our bench and said to himself "Who am I going to have to answer to... Miles Wood? Yeah, ok... I'm in the clear".

Would he bring anything else to our team, probably not but several other guys didn't either and weren't capable of keeping anyone in check.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah getting a goon to try to get more team toughness is basically like bringing in Marc-Andre Bergeron or Kurtis Foster to get more offense from the blueline. Then it turns out the gain in that one area is not worth what you lose everywhere else.

Reactions: NJDevils17

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Let's see if one of McLeod, Seney, JQ, etc. can distinguish themselves and if Bratt can solidify his spot.

Would not be opposed to going the classic route with McLeod - starting him on the fourth line and seeing him work his way up. Both Noesen and Coleman elevated themselves. Do we believe that McLeod can be better than them?

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I don’t know why toughness and skill are assumed mutually exclusive. There are skilled plays with mean streaks and can be tough. Guys like Ryan Reaves make the team worse overall.

With the league moving completely away from fighting and goonery, I don’t know why a team based on skill would employ guys like that.

Reactions: Bleedred

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah getting a goon to try to get more team toughness is basically like bringing in Marc-Andre Bergeron or Kurtis Foster to get more offense from the blueline. Then it turns out the gain in that one area is not worth what you lose everywhere else.

We had guys who played less then 5 minutes in our last game. Reaves could've done the same with the same result but would've went straight in Kucherov's face and punched his lights out with a straight jab.

We had no goons and Tampa decided to take liberties on our best players... something we should've done to their best players since game #1 but that's another debate for another day.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Reaves is a terrible, terrible hockey player. All of these facepunchers are (what’s left of them, anyway) or were. If we had Reaves playing then we’re icing a worse team and handicapping our lineup by playing a really godawful player for 7-8 minutes a night when we could be rolling four lines. This is why they’re quickly becoming extinct, because they can’t play the game adequately at this level. Playing Reaves makes us a worse hockey club. He’s so bad that he could be the difference between getting swept and losing a playoff series in 5 games. The game is played on the ice, not in a boxing ring or the octagon.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I don’t know why toughness and skill are assumed mutually exclusive. There are skilled plays with mean streaks and can be tough. Guys like Ryan Reaves make the team worse overall.

With the league moving completely away from fighting and goonery, I don’t know why a team based on skill would employ guys like that.

During the regular season, I couldn't agree more... but when the playoffs get's underway, the game isn't ref'ed the same way and I don't need to tell you that since we've seen first hand what happened to our key players.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Reaves is a terrible, terrible hockey player. All of these facepunchers are (what’s left of them, anyway) or were. If we had Reaves playing then we’re icing a worse team and handicapping our lineup by playing a really godawful player for 7-8 minutes a night when we could be rolling four lines. This is why they’re quickly becoming extinct, because they can’t play the game adequately at this level. Playing Reaves makes us a worse hockey club. He’s so bad that he could be the difference between getting swept and losing a playoff series in 5 games. The game is played on the ice, not in a boxing ring or the octagon.

Tell that to Vatanen who's out concussed, Lovejoy who got hit from behind twice, Nico's nuts on the Hedman spear or Hall who keeps getting hit time and time again by McDonaugh.

On the other hand, you have Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Point, Johnson, etc... who are playing without a fear in the world.

I was expecting Wood to be our "enforcer" but he's been invisible thus far and I'm actually disappointed by him being a non factor...the same can be said for Maroon, who dropped the gloves on his 1st shift with us and was never to be seen again (his mean streak that is).

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Tell that to Vatanen who's out concussed, Lovejoy who got hit from behind twice, Nico's nuts on the Hedman spear or Hall who keeps getting hit time and time again by McDonaugh.

On the other hand, you have Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Point, Johnson, etc... who are playing without a fear in the world.

I was expecting Wood to be our "enforcer" but he's been invisible thus far and I'm actually disappointed by him being a non factor...the same can be said for Maroon, who dropped the gloves on his 1st shift with us and was never to be seen again (his mean streak that is).
Yeah? And who is the Lightning’s facepuncher? What other teams are dressing facepunchers this playoffs? The Pens had Reaves, they traded for him at the draft last year and dumped him at the deadline. And through all of that he hasn’t even played a playoff game for his own team this playoffs in Vegas.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It really isn't, I'm sorry.

After the weak response we showed against a bunch of fly weights like Kucherov and Killhorn, I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Just having that presence on the bench will keep the opposition in check. I would bet my life savings that if we did have Reaves, there's not one dirty hit delivered on any of our guys. After Hedman speared Nico, he turned around at our bench and said to himself "Who am I going to have to answer to... Miles Wood? Yeah, ok... I'm in the clear".

Would he bring anything else to our team, probably not but several other guys didn't either and weren't capable of keeping anyone in check.

Reaves would do absolutely nothing.

The guys that Reaves would fight have been out of the league for years. He's not going to fight Kucherov or Killorn, they wouldn't waste their time with him and they would be foolish to fight him.

There's really little you can do to prevent a guy like Kucherov from taking a run at Vatanen. The whole add a deterrent mantra is just foolish unless you have a high-end skilled player (like Simmonds the past few years) who can do both. Even then, in the cap world, you'd rather a guy like that, who you pay the big bucks to, to focus on producing points.

Devils responded to Kucherov after the hit. That's really all you can do and the rest of the game was just Kucherov's playoff experience showing through. I'm sure he's fought through exactly what he did to Hischier all night long and realized you might as well be the giver rather than the receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad