The same old stuff from Finland. Teemu!

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Hi guys.

Sorry to spam your board a bit.
I myself am a born native Finnish guy. Also a big fan of Selanne.

I just spent last night here near the arctic. Drank beer and watched videos of Selanne. What i found out was the amazing support you guys have for the Finnisf Flash. Even if it has been so long Selanne still seems to be part of your franchise.

That is why i wanted to share this one video (which you all probably already have seen) and ask one question.

Are you guys still the franchise that possess the Rookie record for goals and points?

P.S.
Actually it was two videos.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Technically, no. That record belongs to Jets 1.0/ Coyotes.

However you will never convince a Winnipegger that that record does not belong to this city, no matter what the 'technicality' says.

PS I have that video on VHS. I actually plug in my VCR from time to time to watch it. I was a teen when this was happening and it was a big part of my life.

We loved all of our Fins, including Teppo Numminen and Hannu Jarvenpaa

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea one of the hockey highlights of my life was being here last year when Teemu returned. Not often in life you get that shot after so long, our crowd was in full love fest mode. Only wish they would have given him 1st star and let him take a lap.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

However you will never convince a Winnipegger that that record does not belong to this city, no matter what the 'technicality' says.

PS I have that video on VHS. I actually plug in my VCR from time to time to watch it. I was a teen when this was happening and it was a big part of my life.

Thanks.

I still can't say it too much. I think it is great that most of the Jets 2.0 fans still value Selanne and what he accomplished in the Jets 1.0 uniform.

Also, i loved and still love the "repo man". We even have the same first name.

Teppo is the name for kings. ;)

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
It's always nice watching old videos of the Finnish Flash.

Also, videos of that hockey era make me wonder how everybody wasn't potting +50 goals :D

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Yea one of the hockey highlights of my life was being here last year when Teemu returned. Not often in life you get that shot after so long, our crowd was in full love fest mode. Only wish they would have given him 1st star and let him take a lap.

Me too. Best game of the year last year IMO!

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Brings tears to my eyes watching those videos. Seems like yesterday Selanne was wearing a Jets jersey doesn't it? Oh how time flies. Would be awesome to see him back here as a Jet. Perhaps a member of our coaching staff one day. To dream.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I still remember that season... I was a young man when Teemu came to Winnipeg.

I remember meeting him before his first game. He was with a woman that was acclimating him to Winnipeg and he needed a cordless phone. I just remember how shy he was and quiet. I remember wondering if he would ever turn into something.

(This story actually reminds me of when Zhamnanov came in the store to look at something and ran out... weirdest Jet I ever met. But I still have his McDonalds' Russian Hockey stick! Anyone remember that?)

I was at that Teemu game last year and yelled until I my throat was raw. He is a rare real deal. There is no posturing or B.S..... There are fans with current Jets 2.0 jerseys on at the arena with his name and number.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was a kid when Teemu first rolled into town with his brilliant rookie season and every single kid in my class wanted his jersey. Everybody knew his name. Teemu Selanne was like a god.

I still remember when he was traded, and I firmly believe to this day that it was a serious disservice to him. He should have left with the team.

Im not going to lie, I'd be a little disappointed if 2.0 didn't hang 13 from the rafters when he retires, in the original jersey of course.

I know he accomplished alot with the old franchise and he wasn't with the team that long either. I just think that the records and the memories belong to the fans and the people of Winnipeg.

I don't think that there is a single winnipegger out there that does not know his name. Pretty much everybody idolized him.

I personally think that something like that should be done for the guy, just because of how loved he is in this city.

That is...One man's opinion.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I can already feel the rage when the Coyotes add him to the ring of honor thing next season.

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
Thanks.

I still can't say it too much. I think it is great that most of the Jets 2.0 fans still value Selanne and what he accomplished in the Jets 1.0 uniform.

Also, i loved and still love the "repo man". We even have the same first name.

Teppo is the name for kings. ;)

Change "value" to "worship" and you'd have it... ;)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Barkov is Finnish;)

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I can already feel the rage when the Coyotes add him to the ring of honor thing next season.

That's going to be pretty hard to do considering the Coyotes will no longer exist in Phoenix. Selanne will most likely retire at the end of this season and I doubt Quebec will have any difficulty handing over the franchise history officially to Winnipeg. My gut feeling is that Selanne will come out of retirement early to play for Winnipeg for one last season then his number can be retired.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
That's going to be pretty hard to do considering the Coyotes will no longer exist in Phoenix. Selanne will most likely retire at the end of this season and I doubt Quebec will have any difficulty handing over the franchise history officially to Winnipeg. My gut feeling is that Selanne will come out of retirement early to play for Winnipeg for one last season then his number can be retired.

I doubt that he will play for Winnipeg again. But I do think the org will at the very least honor him in some way shape or form.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Brings tears to my eyes watching those videos. Seems like yesterday Selanne was wearing a Jets jersey doesn't it? Oh how time flies. Would be awesome to see him back here as a Jet. Perhaps a member of our coaching staff one day. To dream.

LOL, it IS hard to watch that, kind of get choked up seeing it.
Teemu let our generation dream of perhaps getting to the cup. Every kid that I know of that could hold a stick and stand on the street, or glided around a rink imagined himself as Selanne. Winnipeg had a superstar for our generation.

The Teemu fiasco broke the fans hearts, traded away, and then the team was sold off.
It was kind of like being stabbed in the guts, a twist of the knife and then your heart being ripped out.

I watched perhaps 10 games after we lost the Jets...if that, and not whole games either.
When we got the Jets back and there was talk of Teemu pondering a return it was almost perfect...until he decided that he was going to stick it out with the Ducks.
But without hesitation I think that almost everyone would have him back in an instant, just for one last season. He will always be a Jet, and he will always have a place to call home here in Winnipeg.

Ok enough sappy stuff, I’ve got to go watch some hockey fights, followed by a best of Barney Stinson.

Back in the Bigs

and lovin' it !!
Oct 17, 2006
Teemu's rookie goal record has to be considered as unbreakable as any of Gretzky's records.... I mean that has to be as close to impossible as you can get... :bow:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->