The Salary Cap Needs To Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hmmm well obviously since the Leafs are having trouble signing a player and Matthews/Marner need deals next off season, the NHL should remove the cap to make it work. Only when the Leafs need it of course.

But in all seriousness I have been saying for a while that teams should get a cap discount on players they draft or players that had their first NHL game on that team. It lets teams give fair money to homegrown players and then build a team around them. Maybe a 30% break or something... so if Matthews' cap hit is 10m, it shows as 7m.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
And as a Yankees fan who follows them closely and attends games (I know, a non-bandwagon Yankees fan, your mind is blown), they lose, too.

Let me put it this way:

Only seven of the Yankees' 27 titles have come since the beginning of the 1970s, which coincides with waves of expansion in baseball.

The Yankees also lost to two expansion teams in the World Series in 2001 and 2003.

For you to think that having the most money will automatically buy you titles is like, wildly short-sighted.

Really? At least the Yankees won in this Century. Once Leafs got their ownership figured out the cap came in so they never really got to throw they financial wait around like the Yankees. Before they were owned by crazy cheap old men and Pension funds.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The current NHL flavor of a hard cap has outgrown its usefulness and resulted in players being unhappy about escrow and unhappy fans of competitive teams who are hamstrung by players on contracts with bad cap hits.

You have to hope Bettman and the NHLPA find a way to implement a luxury tax and avoid a work stoppage.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like, if the OP and his friend would just come out and say "yeah, we just want Toronto to be able to throw gobs of cash at Nylander and UFAs and such" and just owned it instead of tiptoeing around their motivations, at least we could have some sort of honest discussion.

up to this point leaf fans have been convinced that they will be able to sign all their kids and fix their D without any problems

final cuts are coming and Nylander is still not signed--

so there might be a chink in their plan and they now realise that not all kids will be willing to take "hometown" discounts like JT

If things go the way I think they will--leafs will be hating oiler fans shortly

Nylander has had back to back 61 pts season and he maybe looking at Leon Draisaitl's 8.5 and wanting 8*8?

Matthews reportedly will be looking at McDavid's £12.5

With Mitch Marner needing a new contract next year as well

Could the leafs be looking at £8.0 a year for each of Nylander and Marner?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Like, if the OP and his friend would just come out and say "yeah, we just want Toronto to be able to throw gobs of cash at Nylander and UFAs and such" and just owned it instead of tiptoeing around their motivations, at least we could have some sort of honest discussion.

I admit it. I won't hide from it or apologize for it. I want my team to use their financial means to win. So what. I'm not going to feel guilty for that after watching my team lose for that last few decades and spending hundreds of dollars to go to one game.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Not really, because the discussion would consist mostly of outright insults and dismissals as opposed to folks tiptoeing around such things. ;)

Well I mean, at least we could be honest with ourselves that they are selfish and foolishly naive instead of pretending they are trying to have a good-faith argument.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I admit it. I won't hide from it or apologize for it. I want my team to use their financial means to win. So what. I'm not going to feel guilty for that after watching my team lose for that last few decades and spending hundreds of dollars to go to one game.

So you want your team to out spend all other teams because your pockets are deeper?--Not all teams can spend as much as the leafs

Reactions: Svechhammer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad