WGR: The Sabres seem too fragile to be able to achieve their goals

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That was the problem last season.

The Skinner trade helped address the issue.

The Sheary deal hasn't moved the needle.

The ROR trade hurt in this area.
Yep. 4-6 forward slots need to be upgraded (i.e., not rely on their natural development and growth) for this squad to be a deep-playoff run team.

I don't really like Ristolainen either. I don't like using shortened names in written form, like "Risto." And typing Ristolainen every time is a pain in the butt. Hoping they trade Ristolainen to Anaheim for Josh Manson. So much easier to type....
Pursuing short-named UFAs might be no worse than any other strategy.
Anders Lee
Eric Fehr
Nic Dowd
Jordan Weal
Richard Panik
Brandon Tanev
Mark Stone
Kevin Hayes

And for your sake, here's hoping Sabres slowly develop Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
He's trying not to just say, "Risto is the problem," because he has to go back in the lockerroom day after day. That's who he's talking about though.
How is this in defense of the coach though? The guy who does not listen and IS the problem gets the most ice time on the team???? Keep in mind, this is also the guy who vouches for culture and constantly says that good leadership/coaching makes it real. But, let's just keep the coach who gives the heaviest minutes to his biggest problems... :huh:

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Housley be like:

FaKplYg.gif

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
How is this in defense of the coach though? The guy who does not listen and IS the problem gets the most ice time on the team???? Keep in mind, this is also the guy who vouches for culture and constantly says that good leadership/coaching makes it real. But, let's just keep the coach who gives the heaviest minutes to his biggest problems... :huh:

Maybe when Risto is screaming Perkele and jumping over the boards every other shift to the strenuous objections of Houlsey? :dunno:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
A president of hockey operations doesn't make a group of players fragile or tough. It's a business position.
Ah no, he also sets policies and gives the team direction.

This team is soft as butter. Eichel got slammed head first into the boards and nothing was done.

Bring in a someone tough to head hockey operations and that will change.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
No more sports psychology bull ****

Focus on adding talent to the team and results will follow.
I agree. It's been years since the Sabres iced a lineup that didn't have players who shouldn't be in the NHL. The Islanders have been mentioned as a team that has less talent but is performing better because of better coaching. They certainly do have better coaching but their lineup is stacked with NHL players from top to bottom. They're not carrying washed up veterans. They're not using the big club to develop rookies who should be in the AHL. There's no glaring holes in that lineup.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I agree. It's been years since the Sabres iced a lineup that didn't have players who shouldn't be in the NHL. The Islanders have been mentioned as a team that has less talent but is performing better because of better coaching. They certainly do have better coaching but their lineup is stacked with NHL players from top to bottom. They're not carrying washed up veterans. They're not using the big club to develop rookies who should be in the AHL. There's no glaring holes in that lineup.

Beauvilier might benefit from time in the AHL. But I do agree with your over-arching point. They don't have a Sobotka or Thompson or Pominville.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Beauvilier might benefit from time in the AHL. But I do agree with your over-arching point. They don't have a Sobotka or Thompson or Pominville.
Well for starters Uncle Leo might be the only player in hockey who is even close to being as bad as Sobotka.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Pursuing short-named UFAs might be no worse than any other strategy.
Anders Lee
Eric Fehr
Nic Dowd
Jordan Weal
Richard Panik
Brandon Tanev
Mark Stone
Kevin Hayes

And for your sake, here's hoping Sabres slowly develop Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

UPL is not the same. His name is just the first letters, which I can live with.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
The roster overall is a bit lacking in depth scoring and they undoubtedly are a top 4 D short of being a consistent/competent unit, but I can't help but shake the notion that a vet coach like Quenneville could get more out of it as it stands.

Housley's player usage and apparent Sobotcrush is maddening and I personally can't take it anymore. Head-scratching scratches don't help his case. He was fired yesterday in my dream world.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pham doing his normal trash journalism.

Honestly for years this guy has consistently trashed players before anyone else for the most ridiculous reasons.

I’m still partial too the Reinhart wasn’t doing O’Reilly practices anymore and that showed he wasn’t willing to go to the hard areas anymore, last year during his slow start. Then a backtrack after months of ppg, saying that Sam had totally changed his game back.:huh:

And then O’Reilly was the problem too, so take Pham with a hot dog, you know he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->