Confirmed with Link: The Sabres have signed goaltender Jonas Johansson to a three-year ELC

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Can't get excited about this. His numbers and where he has played since being drafted don't inspire confidence he can turn into anything more than AHL-er. Hope he proves me wrong but seems very unlikely.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Can't get excited about this. His numbers and where he has played since being drafted don't inspire confidence he can turn into anything more than AHL-er. Hope he proves me wrong but seems very unlikely.
Where? If you're looking at his Rochester numbers in the 7 games played this year just think of where Rochester is and then think of Buffalo's defensive depth and how the Amerks got stripped of almost all D men this year to play in Buffalo because of injuries.

He's a project anyways, long ways away from playing in Buffalo.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So right now with expansion draft and Petersen pending we have:

Buffalo: Lehner/Ullmark
Rochester: Johansson/Kasdorf

And Kasdorf can't be sent to Cincinnati without his consent anymore but Johansson can.

Deleted member 27798

So right now with expansion draft and Petersen pending we have:

Buffalo: Lehner/Ullmark
Rochester: Johansson/Kasdorf

And Kasdorf can't be sent to Cincinnati without his consent anymore but Johansson can.

If Peterson elects to go the route of F/A, the Sabres goaltending depth is paper thin...especially if Ullmark moves up the #2 goalie at the NHL level. That leaves you with a guy who was playing in the 2nd tier Swedish League last year, and....NOTHING aka Kasdorf.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If Peterson elects to go the route of F/A, the Sabres goaltending depth is paper thin...especially if Ullmark moves up the #2 goalie at the NHL level. That leaves you with a guy who was playing in the 2nd tier Swedish League last year, and....NOTHING aka Kasdorf.

Now throw in Ullmark getting snatched in expansion since the other things on offer from us are laughable in comparison.

skipjack

May 1, 2016
Stockholm, SWE
I actually doubt he will reach the potential level of Lehner or Nilsson.

I would also go with Nilsson before Lehner but I guess that won't happen because of the price we paid for him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I would also go with Nilsson before Lehner but I guess that won't happen because of the price we paid for him.

Botterill didn't pay the price, so I don't imagine he will factor things like that in to his decisions... not that anyone should in the first place.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They won't go with Nilsson over Lehner because Nilsson has never been a #1 in his NHL career and not because Murray traded a 1st rounder for Lehner.

skipjack

May 1, 2016
Stockholm, SWE
At the same time, Lehner have only been a starter in Buffalo. Under Murray/Blysma after the crazy trade.

Looking at performance, no one would've been upset if Nilsson got the additional games this season.

Finally, Nilsson would probably cost four times less then Lehner.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
At the same time, Lehner have only been a starter in Buffalo. Under Murray/Blysma after the crazy trade.

Looking at performance, no one would've been upset if Nilsson got the additional games this season.

Finally, Nilsson would probably cost four times less then Lehner.

Nilsson only has 78 NHL GP in his career. And he only had 46 AHL games as a backup prior to that.

His Save% last year was much better than his career average.

No GM is going to look at Nilsson's North American career as a backup and hand him the #1 job hoping that last season wasn't an outlier AND he can handle a larger workload than he has ever been asked to carry.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Botterill didn't pay the price, so I don't imagine he will factor things like that in to his decisions... not that anyone should in the first place.

That cannot be said enough. One of my problems with Murray was how he did not work economically.

I am very happy to have Johansson signed; especially since Peterson is a question mark.

skipjack

May 1, 2016
Stockholm, SWE
Nilsson only has 78 NHL GP in his career. And he only had 46 AHL games as a backup prior to that.

His Save% last year was much better than his career average.

No GM is going to look at Nilsson's North American career as a backup and hand him the #1 job hoping that last season wasn't an outlier AND he can handle a larger workload than he has ever been asked to carry.

But I think no one wrote he should be our #1.

And I am only saying that I would pick him over Lehner. He's not as hyped and famous as Lehner (in the US). But a better goalkeeper, at least about the same level skillwise and much cheaper.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
But I think no one wrote he should be our #1.

And I am only saying that I would pick him over Lehner. He's not as hyped and famous as Lehner (in the US). But a better goalkeeper, at least about the same level skillwise and much cheaper.

Unquestionably false

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3