The Sabres are sinking and Eichel is not going down fighting

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Don't the Sabres have a ****-ton of draft picks coming up in the next couple of years though, plus a good prospect pool? I don't think the plan was to make an impact this season anyway.
The pipeline has a couple of players ready to come up next season. Namely Viktor Olofsson, LW, who's crushing it in the AHL right now, 7th rd sleeper from the SHL, 23 yrs old. The other player that may have a chance is the prospect from the Sharks in the Kane trade, Danny O'Regan, playing C/LW, 25 yrs old though, a very remote chance, but still there none the less.

Outside of the AHL, all of Buffalo's more recent picks since Botterill arrived are still in Europe or the juniors. Buffalo isn't getting help from those guys or the up coming picks any time soon. They need to make some moves. Botterill really did inherit a mess from former GM Tim Murray, who traded away vast sums of draft capital and was poor at drafting to boot. The Sabres will come out of it, but time, they need time.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He's almost 40 points behind the league leading scorers.

While I agree that Buffalo is a mess, he certainly isn't playing to his potential, at least outside a 25 game stretch.

I don't see a lack of effort, just a lack of finish. His D could be better, but overall he's fine imo- just hasn't made that leap into elite territory yet.

It's also been speculated that he is/was dealing with an injury, ribs or back. Sometime before the break, took a shot, missed some games, then skated kinda stiff for awhile. No excuses, but that was kinda the end of his hot streak. Now he looks better but can't shoot suddenly.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Jacks doing a terrible job as GM considering he continues to help Skinner raise his value. what a bum.

totally shocked that an unwarranted Eichel bashing thread is still open. shocked I tell ya.

Reactions: sabremike and Hasek

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Wonder if the Sabres take a run at Quenneville at the off season ?

They should have been making a run at him since he was let go. Make him the highest paid coach in the league, at least he knows how to line match, and make adjustments based on merit, rather than play the vets no matter how bad they do.

We need a coach willing to bench Eichel for making a lazy shift change, and put guys in the press box when better players show up, no matter how young they may be. A coach who will show some emotion, any emotion, at all. Every time Housley is shown hes just chewing his gum with some half ass smile like hes the only one in on the joke, no matter what's happening in the actual game. It's like hes the poster boy for 7 gum and hes just in his own head wondering how long he can keep the charade going.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
DzxGPTaUwAAZBCM.jpg

Reactions: sabremike

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
As commissioner, why doesn't Jack make a rule that Buffalo qualifies for the playoffs regardless of where they finish. Or does this need owner approval?

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The pipeline has a couple of players ready to come up next season. Namely Viktor Olofsson, LW, who's crushing it in the AHL right now, 7th rd sleeper from the SHL, 23 yrs old. The other player that may have a chance is the prospect from the Sharks in the Kane trade, Danny O'Regan, playing C/LW, 25 yrs old though, a very remote chance, but still there none the less.

Outside of the AHL, all of Buffalo's more recent picks since Botterill arrived are still in Europe or the juniors. Buffalo isn't getting help from those guys or the up coming picks any time soon. They need to make some moves. Botterill really did inherit a mess from former GM Tim Murray, who traded away vast sums of draft capital and was poor at drafting to boot. The Sabres will come out of it, but time, they need time.

It's not just Murrays mess, Botterill contributed in a big way by trading away O'Reilly for a sack of beans. Terrible asset management.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
It's not just Murrays mess, Botterill contributed in a big way by trading away O'Reilly for a sack of beans. Terrible asset management.
Not disagreeing, but since I don't know what actually was the catalyst for the trade, I'll reserve judgement for now.

After all, I do not believe Botterill woke up one morning and said Berglund, Sobotka and Thompson are the answer.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I agree with the first line, but ah have you seen a McDavid interview lately? You can see the “I wish I was anywhere but here look”
what I meant is Eichel will speak about his displeasure and McDavid doesn't.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Not disagreeing, but since I don't know what actually was the catalyst for the trade, I'll reserve judgement for now.

After all, I do not believe Botterill woke up one morning and said Berglund, Sobotka and Thompson are the answer.

..but that's what he did. Like, ROR drunk drove his car into a Tim Horton's his second day there. That was the bad part. After that it was some nonsense over some negative comments and that's it- those were his only controversies, to think there's anything deeper is just speculating. He's traded for the same reasons other players are, and apparently Botts thought those 3 guys were a good answer. Not like he thought they possessed infinity stones or some shit, nah, he took those 3 guys. That was his answer.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
After O'Reilly lost his smile and admitted publicly he feels like a loser, you can't think GMs were burning up Botrerill's phone line.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
After O'Reilly lost his smile and admitted publicly he feels like a loser, you can't think GMs were burning up Botrerill's phone line.

On the flip side, I'd wonder if he'd be extra motivated should he move to a non-crap team. Kinda a reward my hockey savior sorta effort-level. Yup, that's what I woulda thought, hindsight being 20/20.

Seriously though, I doubt GMs cared too much, he's a rare breed.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I felt like their offseason took one step forward, but two steps back.

ROR made that lineup a lot deeper.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad