The Sabres are sinking and Eichel is not going down fighting

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Holy have things gone off. I remember like 30 games in Buffalo fans and some on here saying their core is better than the Leafs and they would be a better team starting this year. There was a lot of hype about the goaltending. Coaching was not a problem. Eichel was having a breakout year.

Something is for sure off though. Two different coaches now and the same result. Is it the coaching or the players? Eichel has always been a primadonna.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I mean they were dead last the year before, going from last to playoffs is no easy task. They’ve shown improvement this year and the fans should be happy with that. This next week is important though. They need to work on a contract for Skinner or deal him at the deadline. They’ll have lots of assets for futures or trade for players. I could see them targeting Trouba.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
We will call this Exhibit A that Phail Housley is the worst most incompetent coach in all of hockey.

You wouldn't call him Phail Housley to his face. No need to be do disrespectful just because you think he isn't a good coach.

Just say you think Phil Housley is an awful coach.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Realistic-Sculptures-Of-Beavis-And-Butt-head5.jpg

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Didn’t we have to hear about how this year was going to be different for the Sabres for the first 6 weeks of the season?

Those people look so foolish now. Maybe GM Jack Eichel makes it to the playoffs in year 5 in the league?

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You wouldn't call him Phail Housley to his face. No need to be do disrespectful just because you think he isn't a good coach.

Just say you think Phil Housley is an awful coach.
Why would I be worried? He never threw a single hit in his entire career, why would he start now? And I'm showing him just as much respect as he showed Antipin last season and Pilut and Smith this season.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Eichel isn't the problem- wish he could finish these past few games but his effort level is there.

We lack a second line. Sobotka and Berg were supposed to plug some gaps, but.. yeah.

Coaching is awful- like I wouldn't expect much from this lineup, but with some better roster management (staple Scandella to the f***ing bench) we could at least still be in the hunt.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Holy have things gone off. I remember like 30 games in Buffalo fans and some on here saying their core is better than the Leafs and they would be a better team starting this year. There was a lot of hype about the goaltending. Coaching was not a problem. Eichel was having a breakout year.

Something is for sure off though. Two different coaches now and the same result. Is it the coaching or the players? Eichel has always been a primadonna.

- 95% of Buffalo fans: We're #1 overall at the moment but we know we're going to come back to Earth.
- *3 months later, Buffalo predictably falls in the standings.
- "Haha, Buffalo fans were saying they were better than us! Lol!"

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
"Mopey Jack" doesn't need to step up his game. Pretty much everyone but Reinhart and him does. Sabres coach is trash and management has been brutal lately. There is literally nothing you can blame on Jack. You just hate his nasty curly hair like we all do. But you don't see us creating threads about how he must "step up". Go on now, young one. You still have a "Sens suck and Brady Tkachuk is the one to blame" -thread to create before your bedtime.
OP MIA after this evisceration

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I remember commenting in that hot take 10 game winning streak thread where Sabres fans were chest thumping telling me how they are the real deal and all the Matthews << Eichel comments because he was solo leading Sabres to such a stellar record at the time. Leadership skills were called into question.

Anyway I remember saying don't count your chickens until they hatch as the Sabres could easily fall out of the playoffs before the all star game. Now, I take no pride in any fanbase suffering as we Leafs fans have a PHD in sucking and suffering through shit. Eichel is in no way shape or form responsible for the Sabres state.

They are a mediocre team who can play over their heads if they play a defense first system with good goaltending similar to what the Isles are doing. It's not sustainable for success in the long-run but it can help build a strong foundation as they add the correct offensive pieces over time.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I dont know, this seems a lot like Dallas calling out Seguin and Benn.

Why does it seem so common in hockey to deify role players while constantly over criticizing stars?
2nd, 3rd, and 4th liners need to be held accountable for not producing too.

I feel like we are a week away from a thread blaming Gibson for the Ducks freefall

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I just want to make fun of the guy who said that the Blues 1st from the ROR trade was Buffalo's ticket to Alexis Lafreniere.

Reactions: CoverYour5

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
The Sabres have been in a free fall since, well...since their 10 game winning streak in November.

There are a lot of reasons they've faltered. For December it was a lack of secondary scoring, since then it is primarily been poor defense but none of facets of their game have really been clicking.

Eichel had a monster stretch in November and December but since then he has been very pedestrian. He went from being in the top 10 in P/PG to now being #25, which for a player of his caliber is not good enough.

A lot of nights he looks like he is just going through the motions. Coaching is partly to blame but it doesn't totally absolve Eichel's disappointing play.

Sure, he's the best of a sucky bunch, but he is capable of playing so much better. For someone who was touted as generational, he sure does not look like it on a lot of nights.
So the problem wasn't FOR, Then was it

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I dont know, this seems a lot like Dallas calling out Seguin and Benn.

Why does it seem so common in hockey to deify role players while constantly over criticizing stars?
2nd, 3rd, and 4th liners need to be held accountable for not producing too.

I feel like we are a week away from a thread blaming Gibson for the Ducks freefall
Little to no shock value or controversy which doesn't generate the desired attention.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Buffalo should just stay the course, get another high pick, draft well and continue. They have some really good pieces to rebuild with and they don't want to go the Edmonton route of making impulsive trades and creating larger issues.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Eichel is not a good leader. Eichel is a coach killer. Eichel is a spoiled brat. Eichel is a lockerroom cancer. Eichel thinks he's a GM. Eichel is not elite. Matthews is 2 tiers above Eichel.

Did I cover it?

Reactions: Mattilaus

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, and Dahlin are the only players that have showed up all season long. What a garbage thread. Between having arguably a bottom 5 roster and a God awful coach we were bound to sink eventually. The ROR trade sucked from the moment the league office answered the trade call. Botts has major work to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad