The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
jokes aside, I'm unconvinced that Bergs was supposed to be the replacement

more so i think they overestimated their depth

That or they did not anticipate on being as successful as they have been this year. Let the youth develop and solve the C issue next Summer when the team would be looking at battling for a playoff spot in 2019-2020. It is interesting watching them now trying to figure out what to do with Skinner as I am assuming the original plan was to move him for a higher return than they paid at the deadline while giving Eichel a solid winger to continue his development for much of this season.

Reactions: Rasmus Ascendant

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not really...he was supposed to take ROR’s place in the lineup, taking on the defensive responsibility (without necessarily needing to replace his offensive output). Now we don’t have a 3C, so this trade created a hole that needs to be filled.

Trade still looks bad imo

Considering Berglund wasn't filling that role anyway, our center depth is no worse now than it was 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Man do I wish he was back.

The wrong idea.

We should not get hung up on assembling the 12 most talented individuals. We should worry about who the 12 people are that will form the best TEAM. That means things like chemistry between players are important, not just the individual talent level. ROR was the height of Murray going after talented players while ignoring whether or not they are a fit for the team.

Yes, the trade made us a less talented team. However, it made us a better team. The results on ice are obvious

Reactions: wunderpanda

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Not really...he was supposed to take ROR’s place in the lineup, taking on the defensive responsibility (without necessarily needing to replace his offensive output). Now we don’t have a 3C, so this trade created a hole that needs to be filled.

Trade still looks bad imo
This is a good point.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't expect a GM to say to the public that they took in 2 players to balance out the salary...but we all know that is what happened.

If you think that Botterill brought Berglund in to replace anything ROR did than I dont know what to tell you.

We all know that this trade had nothing to do with upgrading the roster in the near future. It was done because it had to be done for either "culture" reason s or cap reasons.

Reactions: thomas vanek

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Now would that mean Berg is the only reason they rattle off those 10 wins? Or does that logic only apply to losses? :laugh:
The answer lies in a series of complex advanced analytics that only 3 people in the world are capable of understanding. Two of them are nobel prize winners, and the other is the guitarist for Queen. The first step is to determine the Horsi number and from that we derive the whinny coefficient. We then apply Fist Bump physics, an entirely new field which unites quantum mechanics with string theory, to the whinny coefficient to get the the Cupid Factor which is a mathematical expression for love of the game. If the team CF has undergone a statistically significant increase since Berglund signed, then he is solely responsible.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The answer lies in a series of complex advanced analytics that only 3 people in the world are capable of understanding. Two of them are nobel prize winners, and the other is the guitarist for Queen. The first step is to determine the Horsi number and from that we derive the whinny coefficient. We then apply Fist Bump physics, an entirely new field which unites quantum mechanics with string theory, to the whinny coefficient to get the the Cupid Factor which is a mathematical expression for love of the game. If the team CF has undergone a statistically significant increase since Berglund signed, then he is solely responsible.

.... woah

tenor.gif

Reactions: jBuds

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That’s more than twice as many points as Sobotka + Thompson + Berglund over that stretch - just saying :sarcasm:

Not only that, but who the heck would in all seriousness argue he isn’t already is having a very good season. This isn’t NHL19 for gods sake. ZOMG his pace is no longer the same this week as last week! :laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hey look...we had a legitimate locker room cancer and we were winning despite it. Just goes to show that it is the talent in the locker room that shapes the culture.

You have talent..you win more..which makes the locker room a happy place.

If you have a room filled with crappy players.. you lose..which makes for an unhappy place.

We should of kept ROR

Reactions: Snippit

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hey look...we had a legitimate locker room cancer and we were winning despite it. Just goes to show that it is the talent in the locker room that shapes the culture.

You have talent..you win more..which makes the locker room a happy place.

If you have a room filled with crappy players.. you lose..which makes for an unhappy place.

We should of kept ROR

I think it does make a difference when you're looking to these guys as leaders. ROR wasn't "just a guy" here. He played a huge role on the ice, had an A on his chest, and had a lot of young players looking to him. If his reaction to losing was woe is me/f*** this/mentally checking out, that's gonna impact the room. It doesn't make the team bad, but it's the kind of thing that can make a bad situation worse.

I mean, have you ever worked with someone who was negative all the time? It's exhausting.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I'm amazed that Ryan O'Reilly is still even a topic. We got deeper with the trade. Although losing Berglund now negates that somewhat. We could certainly use his presence in the faceoff circle.

Personally, I felt we used O'Reilly too much, almost to the detriment of the growth of other players on the team. And frankly to his detriment as well. This is a team game. One guy can't do it himself. O'Reilly was a warrior though. Tough not to like the guy.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm amazed that Ryan O'Reilly is still even a topic. We got deeper with the trade. Although losing Berglund now negates that somewhat. We could certainly use his presence in the faceoff circle.

Personally, I felt we used O'Reilly too much, almost to the detriment of the growth of other players on the team. And frankly to his detriment as well. This is a team game. One guy can't do it himself. O'Reilly was a warrior though. Tough not to like the guy.

Deeper at what exactly? Picks? Ok. But even at the time of the trade, you were getting deeper by literally one additional bottom 6 player and a significant downgrade at O’Reilly’s position. And after the Berglund debacle you literally gained the depth of Thompson being in and out of the lineup while being a replacement player at best and a huge downgrade from O’Reilly to Sobotka.

I agree with the overuse point, not sure who got held back, since Jack always got his ice time, but this trade has aged like wet diarrhea. It was a pissed off owner, taking a bath so he could not employ a guy he didn’t like, to the detriment of the team.

Just imagine this team with O’Reilly getting 18-20 minutes a night, with Sheary and Okposo on the second line, Larson getting an extra minute or so and Mitts getting his 12 or so a night.

Forget the defense, that’s a pure 15+ extra goals so far.

Reactions: Snippit

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The thought of what this team could've been had this move never been made makes me so incredibly sad. With ROR we would not only be a playoff team but could've actually done some damage. Instead we'll finish 4th or 5th if we are lucky and get boatraced by Tampa in 5 games tops. The damage this trade created is going to haunt us for the next several years when we have no credible 2nd line and the only thing we got of any real value is a draft pick who will be in Buffalo (if we are incredibly lucky) 5 seasons from now.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Deeper?

Thompson and Sobotka don't make us any better..arguably worse in fact. Berglund was solid when he was on line 4 but now he's gone (and that's a huge positive for us considering his contract)

We'll see where that STL pick ends up. If it's a top 5/6 pick next year then I'll change my tune

Reactions: sabremike

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The thought of what this team could've been had this move never been made makes me so incredibly sad. With ROR we would not only be a playoff team but could've actually done some damage. Instead we'll finish 4th or 5th if we are lucky and get boatraced by Tampa in 5 games tops. The damage this trade created is going to haunt us for the next several years when we have no credible 2nd line and the only thing we got of any real value is a draft pick who will be in Buffalo (if we are incredibly lucky) 5 seasons from now.

I don’t hold with this for the long term future, more than this year and next.

We knee capped our own ability to maximize the use of Dahlin’s elc. But Dahlin is so frigging good he will make lesser players look great just by ripple effect of the fear he creates in other teams. And with the 4 firsts in the next year, Thompson and Mitts, they better be able to find a couple top six players.

But it certainly sucks this year. Head shake at you Pegula

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Jack Eichel would only he held back with RoR here straight up.

RoR now 32 points in 34 games. 5 points in his last 11. He is now reverting back to his normal average. And no Skinner extension if RoR is kept.

Reactions: Dahlin 2 Eichel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad