The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Maybe.

Or maybe most new GM's would want to see their players, coached by their guys, playing their system... before lopping too many heads. Especially with a team as dysfunctional as the Sabres were, on and off the ice.

Amazing he was able to handle expansion draft protections and trades with so little information :rolleyes:

The irony of your argument is that Botts got to see his system, coach, and shitty player additions (Pouliot, Nolan, Josefson, etc)... and what he saw in all his terrible decisions, was that ROR had to go.

He’s the Ron Rolson of GMs. He’s not just a GM who made some bad trades. He’s in a position/job two levels above his capability.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Amazing he was able to handle expansion draft protections and trades with so little information :rolleyes:

The irony of your argument is that Botts got to see his system, coach, and ****ty player additions (Pouliot, Nolan, Josefson, etc)... and what he saw in all his terrible decisions, was that ROR had to go.

He’s the Ron Rolson of GMs. He’s not just a GM who made some bad trades. He’s operating two levels above his capability.
It's like if you say anything without using the words "dunce", "incompetent", "shitty" or "terrible" ... you're a Botts defender that needs to be put in their place. :rolleyes:

I'm just speculating how I believe things have played out, and occasionally pointing out common sense scenarios when asked. Not whether they've been successful to this point, which they clearly haven't. Anything else you've got on your mind, is on you.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Is it possible to think O'Reilly deal is even. Right now. I can't wrap my mind around it. Arguing with someone.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Is it possible to think O'Reilly deal is even. Right now. I can't wrap my mind around it. Arguing with someone.

It's even something. Even worse than I thought than when it happened. Even worse a return than any worst case scenario I thought Botterill could plausibly get before it happened.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm thinking back to the absolute worst trades in NHL history and I can't think of any that were as completely unjustafiable to have made as this one. Even the Ron Francis trade, by far the worst and most disastrous trade in hockey history wasn't as completely unjustified as this one. People realized it was a bad idea but John Cullen was having a 120 point season and Zarley Zalapski was seen as a poor man's Paul Cofee so there was a chance it would work out. No clear thinking person could see the return we got back and not come to the conclusion in seconds that it was going to end up a complete disaster that would do incredible damage to this team.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
This trade ages like a fine wine.
Only if you mean it turns straight to vinegar.

Happy for ROR but I don't think I've ever hated a trade as much as this one. We lost a core piece, we received a return that literally got worse as the season progressed, and were forced to watch Tage and Sobotka the entire year.

Truly, this is the suffering that Darcy foretold.

Last edited:

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Because Botterill specifically targeted Thompson, didn't he?

lol

Probably once he was told that Thomas wasn't available...why oh why couldn't Terry just eat the $7 mil bonus. We'd likely be looking at a much better Sabres squad compared to what it is right now.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I thought I would never hate anyone in hockey as much as I hate Peter Karmanos. For 22 years I've had the same wonderful dream where I club him to a pulp on the steps of the Hartford Civic Center like a baby seal and get carried away on the shoulders of a gleefull mob like I'd just won the Super Bowl. I think I may hate Botts just as much right now. f*** you Botts for ruining any possible enjoyment I can get from this team for at least the next half decade because you are an incompetent clown who has so f***ed our roster up that I can't even dream of a Sabres playoff appearence until I am in my late 40's.

ISeeStars

Jun 23, 2018
Iowa
Could you imagine if Berglund and his ridiculous contract was still here with his 15 points of production taking up a roster spot for another 3 years at what was it? 4.7 mil? At least one thing worked out. I cant fathom that Botts might strike out on each guy he got out of this deal. Hope it was worth it when ROR is holding the cup in about a month. :sarcasm:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
My hope for ROR from St. Louis was Dunn AND Thomas but realized that most likely wasn't happening so I expected Dunn AND Kyrou or ROR for Thomas 1 for 1.

oh brother

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
As I've said, we can't deny Botts built a contender. Amazing how great of work he did for that Blues roster. He deserves praise.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Can you imagine if Logan Couture was possibly available, you're our GM and you call San Jose and ask what they want from you. They say Mittelstadt, Guhle or Borgen and a 2nd round pick. You tell Wilson that's not going to happen and make a counter offer 'Alex Nylander, Kyle Okposo, Girgensons and St. Louis' 1st pick we own'
And Doug Wilson responding 'You got yourself a deal my man!'

Only 1 idiot currently an NHL GM who accepts that pile of crap for Couture.

Reactions: sabremike

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Dunn, Kyrou, and Thomas....Thats funny.
You really think you where going to get Dunn, Kyrou, or Thomas, and have the Blues pay that 7.5 million bonus? Come on now.
List was submitted of which roster players were available and which prospects where available. Heavy rumor at the time is Steen used his NTC when approached about Buffalo. He also used is when he was approached about moving to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton.
Gunnarson, Sobotka, Berglund, Barbashev, Bortuzo, Jaskin, where all rumored to be on the table as was prospects, Thompson, Blais, Sanford, Schmaltz, Sosh, and your boy litterly picked Berglund, Sobotka, and Thompson as long as he got the extra draft pick.
Funny stuff, current Blues starting goal tender Jordan Binnington was offered as part of the deal and Buffalo said no.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You really think you where going to get Dunn, Kyrou, or Thomas, and have the Blues pay that 7.5 million bonus? Come on now.
List was submitted of which roster players were available and which prospects where available. Heavy rumor at the time is Steen used his NTC when approached about Buffalo. He also used is when he was approached about moving to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton.
Gunnarson, Sobotka, Berglund, Barbashev, Bortuzo, Jaskin, where all rumored to be on the table as was prospects, Thompson, Blais, Sanford, Schmaltz, Sosh, and your boy litterly picked Berglund, Sobotka, and Thompson as long as he got the extra draft pick.
Funny stuff, current Blues starting goal tender Jordan Binnington was offered as part of the deal and Buffalo said no.

We are aware that Botterill is a moron.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Botterill managed to choose the worst of those who were on the table, because he tried so hard to change the culture of the locker room. :facepalm:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I can't believe you watched an entire season of ROR and think we shouldn't have been asking for Dunn, Kyrou or Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->