The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Berglund and Sobotka were in the RoR trade to help free up cap space so the Blues could fit Ryan into their roster not to help our team with depth.

We traded RoR for Tage and also a conditional first while helping them with their cap.

The 1st isn't conditional. Calling it conditional makes it sound like the pick can be something other than a 1st, which it cannot. The question is whether we get the pick this year or next year, not whether we get it at all.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
The 1st isn't conditional. Calling it conditional makes it sound like the pick can be something other than a 1st, which it cannot. The question is whether we get the pick this year or next year, not whether we get it at all.
Right, that's how they do things around here. Glass is always half empty.

Except with Lawrence Pilut.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
How did Botts manage to not get a good center prospect...or a good RHD prospect.. or non protected pick... or bleeping ANY useful NHL players while trading away one of the leagues better two way centers who was under contract for five more years.

It's appalling that, in a deal where we gave up one of the top 30 centers in the league, the best player in the deal, and agreed to effectively make the deal salary neutral for the first two seasons, we couldn't get one of Thomas, Kyrou, or Dunn in exchange.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's appalling that, in a deal where we gave up one of the top 30 centers in the league, the best player in the deal, and agreed to effectively make the deal salary neutral for the first two seasons, we couldn't get one of Thomas, Kyrou, or Dunn in exchange.

Honest question - did JB covet Thompson equally or possibly even more than the three prospects you mention??

He seemed very high on him immediately after the trade.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Honest question - did JB covet Thompson equally or possibly even more than the three prospects you mention??

Let's hope not, because that raises other questions. Given Armstrong's statements in the months preceding the ROR deal, the Blues held Kyrou and Thomas in very high esteem, with Army mentioning them by name as part of their next core.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Just a reminder the discussion was about even strength GOALS for just ROR because that was such a low number and how all these pieces would make up for it easily, and how Berglund would provide the center depth...

And all 3 of those guys have scored 11 even strength goals. ROR had 9 last year.
ROR also only took 20 games this year to hit his full season mark from last season, because of the thing that posters here all screamed about all year, the harm and value-reducing it did to play him in that ludicrous double-role as defensive center for our fourth line trash that ate up a lot of minutes trying and failing to carry those losers out of the zone.

Like, we artificially suppressed his value in a way that was well known to people here, and then traded him on that value, and like everyone said, in a normal role his scoring returned to normal like any analysis suggested it would.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
ROR also only took 20 games this year to hit his full season mark from last season, because of the thing that posters here all screamed about all year, the harm and value-reducing it did to play him in that ludicrous double-role as defensive center for our fourth line trash that ate up a lot of minutes trying and failing to carry those losers out of the zone.

Like, we artificially suppressed his value in a way that was well known to people here, and then traded him on that value, and like everyone said, in a normal role his scoring returned to normal like any analysis suggested it would.

I'm fully aware of that, just making sure people understood what the discussion revolved around about the team "making up for getting rid of ROR".

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Oh come on, you know posters are discussing the Berg we had every reason to suspect we were getting- nothing against the guy, I respect him for his decision, but this is a case where we had reason to think we'd be getting more from him.

I mean okay, but then I guess we should also miss the fantasy of what Sobotka was gonna be to some posters...

And I’m not crapping on Berglund for taking off if things were off. But his actual production was not much to miss. And for a guy his age, decline beyond mental health was already in process.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I thought that was salemanship, trying to polish the return a bit. But I thought there was no question that Thomas and Kyrou were preferred, just St Louis was not willing to deal either guy. I suppose it could be argued that Thompson was closer to being a contributing NHL player, or should have been further along in his development. But I don't think that tempo difference (if there is much of one) is of sufficient value to prefer him over the other prospects that have been mentioned.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
What did everyone think about the O'Reilly trade when Berglund was winning 3rd period faceoffs during our 10 game winning streak and generally being a hard ass to play against? Or frankly up until the day he left?

I think Thompson can be a really nice player too. There's a reason he was a first round pick. To me, it's noticeable when he's playing with energy and when he's not. Love it when he plays quick.

Oh and my guess is we pick in the 1st this year somewhere between 10 and 20. Closer to 10. The blues won't keep this up.

But let's all whine and complain.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
What did everyone think about the O'Reilly trade when Berglund was winning 3rd period faceoffs during our 10 game winning streak and generally being a hard ass to play against? Or frankly up until the day he left?

I think Thompson can be a really nice player too. There's a reason he was a first round pick. To me, it's noticeable when he's playing with energy and when he's not. Love it when he plays quick.

Oh and my guess is we pick in the 1st this year somewhere between 10 and 20. Closer to 10. The blues won't keep this up.

The same because Berglund was never a noticeable player for us, and 28/22 are just fine without him as long as they're together. 4 point in 23 game Patrik Berglund is not the difference between how anyone is viewing this trade, and shouldn't be. It's a bizarre thing to focus on really given what he brought to the team.

Why won't the Blues keep this up? Their underlying metrics have been outstanding for over half the season now, and they've played their last ~30 games, over half the season, at a 108 point pace. Whereas in their first 12 games, for example, their goalies allowed 3 or more goals, usually 4+, 11 times. You think it's more likely that their goaltending regresses to the worst in the league than their objectively great underlying metrics continue sustainably good hockey?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

BOLD: Seems most posters that hated the trade when it happened, still continued to hate the trade while those 17 total faceoffs were happening. And they continue to hate the trade to this day. IMO, it was a dumb trade when it happened, it continues to be a dumb trade today, and I fully believe I will continue to hate the trade in the future, because my reasoning for hating the trade goes further than the value we received back in the trade.

Italics: When exactly does he play quick? Thompson can be a decent player. He has potential, that's why he was a 26th overall pick, and much like Nylander, there's time to see him reach that potential. And much like Nylander, I question how much potential Buffalo can get out of Thompson.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Do we make a trade for Skinner without the O'Reilly trade?

And yes, you've made your positive outlook on things quite apparent here for some time.

My guess is you already hate the player we select at 15 this year.

Yes, I think the glass is half full, but how dare me.

Do I get banned again now?

Lol
The same because Berglund was never a noticeable player for us, and 28/22 are just fine without him as long as they're together. 4 point in 23 game Patrik Berglund is not the difference between how anyone is viewing this trade, and shouldn't be. It's a bizarre thing to focus on really given what he brought to the team.

Why won't the Blues keep this up? Their underlying metrics have been outstanding for over half the season now, and they've played their last ~30 games, over half the season, at a 108 point pace. Whereas in their first 12 games, for example, their goalies allowed 3 or more goals, usually 4+, 11 times. You think it's more likely that their goaltending regresses to the worst in the league than their objectively great underlying metrics continue sustainably good hockey?
So...

is it their lowest shots allowed in the entire league over a span of months now?

I'm not discounting the possibility - but I'm curious what aspect of the team makes you actively think they'll finish near/at the bottom 10.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

And yes, you've made your positive outlook on things quite apparent here for some time.

Lol

Why wouldn’t they?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Why wouldn’t they?

If we're going to dive into the what-if hole I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they look at the roster with salary considerations and decide that Skinner is a no-go. It's an unprovable assertion though so there's not a lot of ground there

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It's been a little while so I'd like to remind everyone there's a heightened standard for this thread. If you've got something new to contribute, by all means, but let's not step on Bucky Gleason's toes by rehashing the same tired arguments every day.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Lol

Yes, we can still make the trade without trading ROR. The money is found in Pommer's contract to Extend Jeff. Berglund and Sobotka made up the salary ROR had and then we acquired Skinner. We got lucky Berglund's contract is no more, but he brought Berglund, who had 4 years left in here to help with the room. Their contracts and therefore salary, had no impact on re-signing Skinner.

On the contrary, I'm excited to see who we pick, but I'll provide my opinion on that draft pick when we pick. But you making this comment, after my comment about the hatred of the trade going further than the value we received back, kind of goes against what you think my opinion is about the draft pick.

Stop playing the victim game. Nobody is attacking you for being a "half full" kind of poster. In fact, those posters that are overly positive, as you seem to be, are not attacked quite as often as those fans that are critical of the team most of the time.

Yes, I can be quite snarky and "negative" about the team at times, but I don't go full hyperbolic about it. I'm not one of those posters that thinks the world is coming to an end, or that the team is forever screwed and there's no coming back. I would say I'm consistent with my attitude about the team overall, even if it seems I post at negative times only. Yes, there's things I don't like about this organization and I make it well known, but most, if not all of it, is after thinking about long term impact, instead of worrying about if a certain number of posters agree with me. I have no problem with people having differing opinions than me, it what leads to conversations. When I have spoken out it had been at times when posters were discussing about me as a poster more than what my post was about. And yes, I have been "disciplined" when I have done so.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
The question was not can they make the trade, it was Do We?

I'm no victim, this is all entertainment for me.

And anyone who saw me posting when GMTM was here knows I can lay the lumber with the best of them.

Just have a little faith, that's all.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's been a little while so I'd like to remind everyone there's a heightened standard for this thread. If you've got something new to contribute, by all means, but let's not step on Bucky Gleason's toes by rehashing the same tired arguments every day.
I'm just glad this board didn't exist when Hasek was traded. That thread would still be going to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->