The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Grigorenko and Zadarov are hardly thriving for Colorado. Compher seems to be doing okay.

However you slice it, Murray gave up little for ROR, and Botts got even less back when he traded him.
ROR was pending UFA. He never once talked to ROR's agent. Botterill got Skinner for a 2nd and a 3rd round bust. That's cheaper than two high 1st round busts and a 2nd round hit. Botterill got two 1st rounders (one of his choosing), a 2nd, and cap dumps in return equal to the salary ROR was now tied up as. That's literally equal to what ROR was acquired for.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I literally can’t get over this trade. If Botterill admitted it was a mistake, or even gave a justification that made a modicum of sense, that would go a long way.

But until then, I’m going to assume we’re always leaving money on the table, and always underachieving because we have a fake intellectual at the helm who hides his failures by refusing to justify anything to the fans.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I literally can’t get over this trade. If Botterill admitted it was a mistake, or even gave a justification that made a modicum of sense, that would go a long way.

But until then, I’m going to assume we’re always leaving money on the table, and always underachieving because we have a fake intellectual at the helm who hides his failures by refusing to justify anything to the fans.

I would just like to know what his timeline is. Are we to expect another development year for these guys, Mittelstadt, Thompson? Besides "improvement", what are his expectations for October 2019 and going forward? Are we expecting to be active in roster overhaul? Are we "punting" another year? When is Botterill going to be expecting massive improvement in the standings? I know we are ahead of previous years in points, but to me it doesn't seem like it was expected from management and not expected from coaching.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would just like to know what his timeline is. Are we to expect another development year for these guys, Mittelstadt, Thompson? Besides "improvement", what are his expectations for October 2019 and going forward? Are we expecting to be active in roster overhaul? Are we "punting" another year? When is Botterill going to be expecting massive improvement in the standings? I know we are ahead of previous years in points, but to me it doesn't seem like it was expected from management and not expected from coaching.

At this point, they are trending towards fewer points than they had in 2015-16.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At this point, they are trending towards fewer points than they had in 2015-16.

At game 53 that season we were at 48 points. After this game they went 14-10-5 for 33 points.

To get to those points this season, they would have to go on a .380 point % pace.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
At game 53 that season we were at 48 points. After this game they went 14-10-5 for 33 points.

To get to those points this season, they would have to go on a .380 point % pace.

What pace are they on over the last 10 games?

Or, what pace are they on since the end of the streak?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What pace are they on over the last 10 games?

Or, what pace are they on since the end of the streak?

Since the streak: .440 Point % 10-14-5 (look familiar)...

Last 10 games: Bookends of games vs Hurricanes: .350 point % 3-6-1

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The highlight of my son's career as a hockey fan came a couple weeks ago when we went to Dallas to watch the Blues play. We were hanging out by the player entrance to the ice before warm-ups and ROR came out holding a football, and just chatting up the fans that were there. (I was actually wearing my new Christmas gift O'Reilly 3rd jersey) but was too cool to ask him to sign it.) But he did sign a little girl's jersey and said hi to my son.

As a Blues fan, I still can't square the venom that spilled out about ROR from a part of the Buffalo community on HF (both on our board and on the main boards). He seems like such a great team player, great attitude and competitiveness, leader in the locker room. I just don't understand what it is that made people label him as the problem in Buffalo. I've watched his famous interview, and I think its pretty innocuous. Its just an honest answer by a frustrated guy after a disappointing season. I'm sure most of the team felt similarly.

I hope Buffalo is able to get the roster sorted out for a contender status, as I've always rooted for them as a team that hasn't won the Cup (like my Blues). I have nothing negative toward the Sabres or their fans. But I still struggle to comprehend that trade, or the aftermath of opinions.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The highlight of my son's career as a hockey fan came a couple weeks ago when we went to Dallas to watch the Blues play. We were hanging out by the player entrance to the ice before warm-ups and ROR came out holding a football, and just chatting up the fans that were there. (I was actually wearing my new Christmas gift O'Reilly 3rd jersey) but was too cool to ask him to sign it.) But he did sign a little girl's jersey and said hi to my son.

As a Blues fan, I still can't square the venom that spilled out about ROR from a part of the Buffalo community on HF (both on our board and on the main boards). He seems like such a great team player, great attitude and competitiveness, leader in the locker room. I just don't understand what it is that made people label him as the problem in Buffalo. I've watched his famous interview, and I think its pretty innocuous. Its just an honest answer by a frustrated guy after a disappointing season. I'm sure most of the team felt similarly.

I hope Buffalo is able to get the roster sorted out for a contender status, as I've always rooted for them as a team that hasn't won the Cup (like my Blues). I have nothing negative toward the Sabres or their fans. But I still struggle to comprehend that trade, or the aftermath of opinions.

He is a stud. A lot of people are worn out from losing here and they have to come up with excuses for management because we are stuck with management and O’Reilly is gone so he might as well be the scape goat.

The more it gets discussed the worse that deal looks. Good on Armstrong for taking a gift apple when offered.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Thanks for the story and welcome to our board.

Fans wanted a reason and a culprit for the terrible year last year. Botterill and ROR's interview gave them that culprit. There were always some Buffalo fans that didn't like him, calling him a loser everywhere he goes, but a lot of the venom stems from him no longer being a Sabres player, and the feeling he quit on the team (though there was no evidence of this).

What you will eventually see is people coming back around liking ROR if Botterill fails in building us into a contender, because like most times, people will review the GM's moves, and seeing as this has been one of his big ones, it will be reviewed back again and the opinions in the trade will be revisited. We're still at the wait and see what the results are with Thompson and the 1st round pick. We already hate Sobotka, we already saw what Berglund did.

Hope you enjoy the guy, and good luck to your team the rest of the year.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Thanks for the story and welcome to our board.

Fans wanted a reason and a culprit for the terrible year last year. Botterill and ROR's interview gave them that culprit. There were always some Buffalo fans that didn't like him, calling him a loser everywhere he goes, but a lot of the venom stems from him no longer being a Sabres player, and the feeling he quit on the team (though there was no evidence of this).

What you will eventually see is people coming back around liking ROR if Botterill fails in building us into a contender, because like most times, people will review the GM's moves, and seeing as this has been one of his big ones, it will be reviewed back again and the opinions in the trade will be revisited. We're still at the wait and see what the results are with Thompson and the 1st round pick. We already hate Sobotka, we already saw what Berglund did.

Hope you enjoy the guy, and good luck to your team the rest of the year.
I feel awful about the Berglund situation. I don't completely understand what happened to him / within him. I've rooted for him since he was drafted, and really thought he might thrive in a new environment where he could be a leader and part of an energetic young group. I had no idea how he felt.

Sobotka has been an almost complete disappointment since he originally left for the KHL. I truly think he misunderstood and thought his contract would toll, and he could come back UFA after a stint in the KHL. When he realized he was wrong, he eventually did come back, but he has never been the player we knew when he left. I think he just wanted another payday, and putting in the necessary effort. But there is no sign of the passion and intensity he used to have. It looks to me like hockey is just his job. I wasn't sorry to see him go.

Tage Thompson, your guess is as good as mine on whether he'll manage to put it all together. There are red flags, and there are moments that make you salivate.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
This team really misses Berglund. An underrated player in the trade who really benefited a young team like the Sabres.

His absence probably benefits us moving forward, but certainly not this year.

Too bad

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This team really misses Berglund. An underrated player in the trade who really benefited a young team like the Sabres.

His absence probably benefits us moving forward, but certainly not this year.

Too bad

I agree. Berglund is missed this year, although losing his contract is a positive overall.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Berglund was handy as a third piece on 22/28's line, when Phil felt like putting him there, which was maybe half the time. Those two do fine with Kyle as well. Sobotka and November-Tage(consistently a bottom 10 forward in the league at the time) still played every game while Patrik was in, so it's not like Patrik's absence is forcing new bad players on us. I think he might be the most expendable player in the organization over the last year, in that you don't notice when he's gone in a good way (like you would Vlad) or a bad way (like you would Sam, or to a lesser extent Zemgus/ERod).

I just still can't believe I didn't trust my gut and the month of time I spent this summer watching Blues games, and gave credence to the idea that Sobotka can play effective hockey still, and had positive trade/hockey value.

I'm still waiting on the posters who claimed that Thompson, Vlad, Berglund, Sheary would match/outscore ROR, Kane, Pouliot and whoever else left, to acknowledge that the influx of guys is well on their way to having half of that predicted total, or less.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Berglund was handy as a third piece on 22/28's line, when Phil felt like putting him there, which was maybe half the time. Those two do fine with Kyle as well. Sobotka and November-Tage(consistently a bottom 10 forward in the league at the time) still played every game while Patrik was in, so it's not like Patrik's absence is forcing new bad players on us. I think he might be the most expendable player in the organization over the last year, in that you don't notice when he's gone in a good way (like you would Vlad) or a bad way (like you would Sam, or to a lesser extent Zemgus/ERod).

I just still can't believe I didn't trust my gut and the month of time I spent this summer watching Blues games, and gave credence to the idea that Sobotka can play effective hockey still, and had positive trade/hockey value.

I'm still waiting on the posters who claimed that Thompson, Vlad, Berglund, Sheary would match/outscore ROR, Kane, Pouliot and whoever else left, to acknowledge that the influx of guys is well on their way to having half of that predicted total, or less.
Why is Skinner omitted from the math? Just blues sharks pieces you’re calculating?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Why is Skinner omitted from the math? Just blues sharks pieces you’re calculating?
Because I'm referencing specific instances which occurred before the Skinner trade. It's not meant to be an overarching slam on Botts, just poking at people who were, erm, insistent that anyone who didn't like the trade were, erm, less smart than they are

Reactions: sabremike and jBuds

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Man that 4 points in 23 games was a real missing element that Berglund gave the team.

Too bad.

I hope Okposo gets this sort of rewriting if he somehow retires and frees us from years worth of horrific overpayment.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Man that 4 points in 23 games was a real missing element that Berglund gave the team.

Too bad.

I hope Okposo gets this sort of rewriting if he somehow retires and frees us from years worth of horrific overpayment.

Oh come on, you know posters are discussing the Berg we had every reason to suspect we were getting- nothing against the guy, I respect him for his decision, but this is a case where we had reason to think we'd be getting more from him.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Berglund and Sobotka were in the RoR trade to help free up cap space so the Blues could fit Ryan into their roster not to help our team with depth.

We traded RoR for Tage and also a conditional first while helping them with their cap.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Berglund and Sobotka were in the RoR trade to help free up cap space so the Blues could fit Ryan into their roster not to help our team with depth.

We traded RoR for Tage and also a conditional first while helping them with their cap.
Read that last sentence back and realize that our GM actually made that move. This would've been as if the Islanders had Johnny Pajamas locked up for 5 years at a reasonable rate and traded him for, well, THAT return. If we were a sane credible organization that move would end up costing Botts his job.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Just a reminder the discussion was about even strength GOALS for just ROR because that was such a low number and how all these pieces would make up for it easily, and how Berglund would provide the center depth...

And all 3 of those guys have scored 11 even strength goals. ROR had 9 last year.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
How did Botts manage to not get a good center prospect...or a good RHD prospect.. or non protected pick... or bleeping ANY useful NHL players while trading away one of the leagues better two way centers who was under contract for five more years.
Because no one destroys the value of it's own players like this organization.

Just look at this stupid message board alone. See Ristolainen, Eichel, Bogosian, Reinhart, Scandella, Thompson. And of course we can't forget about one of our favorites, Evander Kane.

And 4 of those players are under age 25. One of them is 21 years old and shows tons of promise, and has been written off by many on this board as a hopeless bust who should be replaced by Nylander, Smith or Olofsson, or in the alternative, a bag of hockey pucks or a lovely used jock strap.

It's so much fun here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad