The Ryan Murray thread

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
My favorite thing about Murray is how quickly he learns. He never makes the same mistake twice and is taking a step forward every game.

I think next year he will be wearing an A on his jersey.

I'd give him a couple of years, but he will wear a letter. Just don't know which one or when.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It took 10 years before anyone recognized Lidstrom as being a pretty good defenseman. And then with Niedermayer, he went from "chronic disappointment" to "first-ballot HOFer" seemingly overnight.
which speaks for how much room Murray still has. That people can see how he could be as good as those players already. Whose to say we won't be comparing all the best defensive prospects to Murray like we do Lidstrom and Neids. We really don't know how good he really will become.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
So ... everyone still disappointed that we didn't get Nail Yakupov? :sarcasm:

The only thing I'd be curious to know is what offers were made on either side to get Howson to try to move out of that spot. We've heard what the Islanders allegedly offered, which I personally don't believe. But after the sandbagging job that the Oilers did, including adding Murray to the World Championships team (that was run by the Oilers front office), I'd be more interested in knowing what deals didn't get made on that end.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So ... everyone still disappointed that we didn't get Nail Yakupov? :sarcasm:

I thought it was a blessing in disguise when we lost the lottery and the more Murray the plays the happier I become. My favorite part is all the non Columbus fans admitting they were wrong and not seeing what a lot of us saw. There are a lot of people outside of Columbus and even here on this board that are seeing Murrays all around potential and that he is going to be better offensively then some had anticipated.
He was brought up and told Neidermayer was a guy he should model his game after from a young age and you can see the similarities. I always used Duncan Keith as the type of player I think Murray will be which is still fairly similar to Neidermayer.
As for Yakupov I believe Galchenyuk is going to be the more valuable player as he is a center and much more well rounded. I believe all 3 can be on the same level in terms of ability but in terms of needs both Murray and Galy fit the biggest needs on both us and Edmonton.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The only thing I'd be curious to know is what offers were made on either side to get Howson to try to move out of that spot. We've heard what the Islanders allegedly offered, which I personally don't believe. But after the sandbagging job that the Oilers did, including adding Murray to the World Championships team (that was run by the Oilers front office), I'd be more interested in knowing what deals didn't get made on that end.

Bob Mackenzie recently reported that Katz (the owner) stepped in to insist on taking Yakupov, over the objections of the scouting staff who wanted Murray.

http://oilonwhyte.com/2013/10/07/nail-yakupov-vs-ryan-murray-oilers-draft-right/

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I was hoping for Galchenyuk myself. Not sure how that will play out but I'm more than happy with Murray.

Same for me, though I also wanted to trade back for Trouba. Regardless I think many, myself included, were worried about Murray's lack of physicality because except for some of the best of all time (i.e. the aforementioned Lidstrom) lack of physicality can be a major weakness for a d-man.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was hoping for Galchenyuk myself. Not sure how that will play out but I'm more than happy with Murray.

My stomach dropped when they said Murray instead of Galchenyuk. We finally had the "missing piece " something the franchise never had. A center with his potential. However the more I read up on Murray and heard all the great things seemingly EVERYONE had to say about him. From his former coaches, to current nhl players and coaches you knew there was something special about that kid. Being able to think the game on a elite level at a young age will allow him to transition and hopefully excel much quicker than most.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
My stomach dropped when they said Murray instead of Galchenyuk. We finally had the "missing piece " something the franchise never had. A center with his potential. However the more I read up on Murray and heard all the great things seemingly EVERYONE had to say about him. From his former coaches, to current nhl players and coaches you knew there was something special about that kid. Being able to think the game on a elite level at a young age will allow him to transition and hopefully excel much quicker than most.

That's the thing. I've been trying to derive a correlation between certain attributes as a prospect and NHL success, so I've been over thousands of short scouting reports. Murray's was as unique as I've ever seen.

Generally speaking, particularly with defensemen, there's something that gets zeroed in on. Maybe a guy has a cannon of a shot. Maybe his skating is exceptional. Maybe he'll knock you through the boards. Maybe he'll lead the rush from the back end. First and foremost, it's something like that. Even the best defensive prospects of the last 25 years see their reports lead off with one of those.

With Murray, it wasn't. For a guy universally regarded as a top-5 player coming into the season, and who maintained that ranking throughout the year, the fact that he didn't do anything exceptionally well, or even very well, is unique. It may be unprecedented.

("Best defensive prospects of the last 25 years" include Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Ed Jovanovski, Oleg Tverdovsky, Bryan Berard, Jay Bouwmeester, Erik Johnson, Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman, and Adam Larsson.)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Surprised by the bevy of responses for my (somewhat) sarcastic comment :laugh:

It's no secret that I was one of the biggest Murray backers around. Glad to see I'm not being proven a complete moron ... but I do see a significant lack of posting from the guys who were very openly anti Murray after the pick was made.

Yakupov was the sexy pick ... Murray was the pick that wins you games. Galchenyuk may be the best player to come out of that top-3, but I'm happier with our pick, especially after seeing the forwards we got in this year's draft.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was one of those guys openly against Murray after drafted, and although I still would take Yakupov or Galchenyuk, I am glad we got a stud as well.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Didn't the brain trust at the time say Murray was their guy even at #1?

That's fine. I would have to trust their decision on that, which currently looks like a good one. My issue is more that we went through all that losing that season only to end up losing the lottery as well, and to lose it to the Oilers too. That was frustrating.

bizzz*

He wasn't good at the WJC.
Yakupov and Kuznetsov undressed Canada.
He wasn't impressive at the main Worlds.
He was scared to make a mistake.
But now I wouldn't trade two drafts for him.
He's got the tools, he's got the box.
He learns how to use them.
Yakupov is still looking for that box.
Zherdev has never found it.

Smile More*

Hey Fellow Jackets! Longtime lurker on the boards, finally decided to register! Lived in Columbus my whole life, New Albany to be exact. Exited to see the Jackets are headed in the right direction!

Enough about myself, My Gosh Murray had looked absolutely excellent thus far this season. The first few games were a little rocky, he had quite a few turnovers but guessing they were just some first game jitters. He is smart with the puck and I'm going to agree with the consensus, he plays well beyond his years. Happy to see he got the promotion to the PP. He's got a bright future here in Columbus.

PS. Starting to finally feel good we selected Murray instead of winning the lottery and taking Yakupov

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
For me, Galchenyuk was the risky but exciting pick. Murray was the "safe" pick. I was hoping we wouldn't go off the board and draft someone like Forsberg.

So when Howson announced Murray my reaction was "good, makes sense." Can't fault someone for making the safe pick.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
He wasn't good at the WJC.
Yakupov and Kuznetsov undressed Canada.
He wasn't impressive at the main Worlds.
He was scared to make a mistake.
But now I wouldn't trade two drafts for him.
He's got the tools, he's got the box.
He learns how to use them.
Yakupov is still looking for that box.
Zherdev has never found it.

Am I supposed to be reading this to ZZ Top or not?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
For me, Galchenyuk was the risky but exciting pick. Murray was the "safe" pick. I was hoping we wouldn't go off the board and draft someone like Forsberg.

So when Howson announced Murray my reaction was "good, makes sense." Can't fault someone for making the safe pick.

pretty much my take too...i saw Galy as a possibility to add to my hopes of us creating a "Team USA" vibe here getting either Bobby Ryan or Kane in a trade...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->