The Ryan Murray thread

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I've followed Ryan Murray's career since he was 16 in the WHL and I think he's quite an intriguing prospect. Just wondering how he has looked in his first few games in the NHL. Has he been everything fans have expected him to be for his first season thus far? Is he currently a top 4 defenceman or is he a #5 or #6 guy? I know Johnson, Wisniewski and Tyutin are generally considered the top 3 guys.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's the 6th guy with wisniewski on his pairing. Hes been very good.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I've followed Ryan Murray's career since he was 16 in the WHL and I think he's quite an intriguing prospect. Just wondering how he has looked in his first few games in the NHL. Has he been everything fans have expected him to be for his first season thus far? Is he currently a top 4 defenceman or is he a #5 or #6 guy? I know Johnson, Wisniewski and Tyutin are generally considered the top 3 guys.

He's been fine. After some shaky early games, he's getting better every game. He's typically played with James Wisniewski, not exactly a guy I'd consider solid and steady.

I'd say he's the 6th defenseman on this team, however, I wouldn't call him a 6th defenseman. His ice time tells a undersells his contributions. He's playing regularly whether the team is up a goal or down 3 goals. He's just not getting any special teams time.

He's not gonna put up more than 15 points this season, so I'm sure we'll still get "Ryan Murray is a bust" thread at some point, but I'd say he's progressing nicely.

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He's not gonna put up more than 15 points this season, so I'm sure we'll still get "Ryan Murray is a bust" thread at some point, but I'd say he's progressing nicely.

Good point. Doesn't matter how many points he puts up this year. He is a gem. He might not have elite scoring skill (yet) but he is an elite talent. There are a lot of young players on the CBJ including Murray that are going to be fun to watch develop.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He's been fine. After some shaky early games, he's getting better every game. He's typically played with James Wisniewski, not exactly a guy I'd consider solid and steady.

I'd say he's the 6th defenseman on this team, however, I wouldn't call him a 6th defenseman. His ice time tells a undersells his contributions. He's playing regularly whether the team is up a goal or down 3 goals. He's just not getting any special teams time.

Good point. Doesn't matter how many points he puts up this year. He is a gem. He might not have elite scoring skill (yet) but he is an elite talent. There are a lot of young players on the CBJ including Murray that are going to be fun to watch develop.

I would take 15 pts this year. But if our special teams don't improve (not that they're TERRIBLE, they're just not up to par) I could definitely see Murray getting a lot more special teams time and hopefully with it more points and a higher +/- .

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@markhmasters: Richards on Ryan Murray: "He's 1 guy who has really helped solidify our back end which is really an impressive thing to say about a rookie"”

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Did you guys not watch the last game? Murray played with Wizniewski on the PP the entire game. I think that is going to stick too because he has the most poise with the puck out of any of our defensemen in my opinion. Murray PP TOI against devils = 2:47. Wizniewski = 3:13. Kid is so good in his own end too.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would take 15 pts this year. But if our special teams don't improve (not that they're TERRIBLE, they're just not up to par) I could definitely see Murray getting a lot more special teams time and hopefully with it more points and a higher +/- .

Agree that I'm little concerned with his point total, but special teams play isn't going to affect his plus-minus.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not the least concerned with his point total. The OP isn't asking for fantasy hockey info, its how is Ryan Murray playing, and fitting in in the Jackets top 6 D? I see him playing very good defence and having amazingly few turnovers for a rookie defenceman. If it was a tie game late in regulation I'd be more comfortable with Murray out there than Wiz, JJ, Nikitin ... really all but Tyutin.

16:00 is a lot for "third-pair", but I'd be fine with Murray doing 22:00.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I get the Scott Neidermayer comparison with Murray. Obviously he's not at that level, but his style of play is very similar. Murray is so calm, his passes are crisp and clean, very veteran. He's going to be very good for a very long time for the Jackets. He fits in perfect with this club. He's fun to watch and he makes improvement every single game. He may be on our top pair by the end of the season.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I get the Scott Neidermayer comparison with Murray. Obviously he's not at that level, but his style of play is very similar. Murray is so calm, his passes are crisp and clean, very veteran. He's going to be very good for a very long time for the Jackets. He fits in perfect with this club. He's fun to watch and he makes improvement every single game. He may be on our top pair by the end of the season.

Josh Birkholz, a Cincinnati Cyclones player who played with Murray in Everett, used Neidermayer as his description when I asked him about Murray last year. He said that Murray's not spectacular at anything, but very good at everything.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=116458

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yet...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm not the least concerned with his point total. The OP isn't asking for fantasy hockey info, its how is Ryan Murray playing, and fitting in in the Jackets top 6 D? I see him playing very good defence and having amazingly few turnovers for a rookie defenceman. If it was a tie game late in regulation I'd be more comfortable with Murray out there than Wiz, JJ, Nikitin ... really all but Tyutin.

I agree. In fact, I would love for 2 of these 3 (Murray, Tyutin, and Johnson) to be out there late in games.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I may be wrong, but aren't our top two power play units currently being run by a rookie (Murray) and a fourth line wing (Letestu)? Odd...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I may be wrong, but aren't our top two power play units currently being run by a rookie (Murray) and a fourth line wing (Letestu)? Odd...

Odd yes, but the results have been even odder (more odd?):laugh:

What, 7 straight games with a pp goal?

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I too am enjoying watching Murray getting his NHL game in order. As has been said he has a calmness to his game for such a young player. Another thing he does well is retrieving pucks in his end after being dumped and avoiding the hit by the forechecker. He is making good decisions with the puck, most times making a good first pass.

He will be better off when he isn't partnered with Wiz. He probably by now anticipates Wiz's turnovers and knows the play may be going back to his zone quickly when Wiz has the puck.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Murray may very well become the new Suter, someone who is overshadowed by the flashier players of his age group (Karlsson, Seth Jones, OEL). Murray has the ability to become the next "steady" defense man following in the footsteps of Lidstrom and Niedermeyer never the player that grabs the headlines, but the player that allows the rest of the team to take chances and play more effectively as they know the back end is covered.

The most remarkable part of his game to me is that he makes the simplest play something that many veteran players are unable to do. His positioning and skating allow him to be in right spot most of the time, something that is remarkable for a 20 year old.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Murray looked very good to me last night in particular. He makes the right play on so many occasions. He's shown he can jump in the play (still may need some work on timing) but his brain and reaction time is amazing. From the mistake in the Calgary game where he looked overmatched and overwhelmed by the speed of the game to last night (just 9 games later) he's made amazing progress. He's got the skills to be a top pair guy and I don't think it's that far off. Personally, I'd like to see him paired with Tyutin or JJ.

This kid has poise, smarts, wheels, skill and some jump. He's going to be a real good one for a long time!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think he's a great foil for Wiz. So long as we need the firepower from Wiz let Murray ride shotgun.

That's a really good way to look at it. It's just funny that a rookie would be the stable one on a line with a vet. Im sure when Murray says he's learned a lot from wisnewski he's probably talking about seeing all the mistakes Wiz makes and now knows not to do them. :sarcasm:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
My favorite thing about Murray is how quickly he learns. He never makes the same mistake twice and is taking a step forward every game.

I think next year he will be wearing an A on his jersey.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
That's a really good way to look at it. It's just funny that a rookie would be the stable one on a line with a vet. Im sure when Murray says he's learned a lot from wisnewski he's probably talking about seeing all the mistakes Wiz makes and now knows not to do them. :sarcasm:

So long as he continues to grow and develop, who cares how he learns the lessons. Both he and Wiz have a role on the team, so long as it's working, go with it. You noticed when Wiz tripped at the blue line where Murray was, already back in the D zone taking away the time and space from a breakaway.

He's going to be very special.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Murray may very well become the new Suter, someone who is overshadowed by the flashier players of his age group (Karlsson, Seth Jones, OEL). Murray has the ability to become the next "steady" defense man following in the footsteps of Lidstrom and Niedermeyer never the player that grabs the headlines, but the player that allows the rest of the team to take chances and play more effectively as they know the back end is covered.

The most remarkable part of his game to me is that he makes the simplest play something that many veteran players are unable to do. His positioning and skating allow him to be in right spot most of the time, something that is remarkable for a 20 year old.

It took 10 years before anyone recognized Lidstrom as being a pretty good defenseman. And then with Niedermayer, he went from "chronic disappointment" to "first-ballot HOFer" seemingly overnight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad