The Russian Penguins (Red Army)

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
As a Penguins fan, I remember when Howard Baldwin invested in the Red Army team and re-named them the Russian Penguins, however I've not been able to find much information on the team other than the fact that they were a member of the IHL as a touring team for the 1993-94 season in addition to competing in the Russian Super League and (anecdotally) that they set attendance records in Moscow.

The ultimate aim was to provide the Penguins with greater access to Russian players through the business partnership. However, with his sports management accumen being what it was, Baldwin pulled his sponsorship after a couple of years. But, from what I've read I get the impression that the team kept the name Russian Penguins.

I've found rosters and stats on Wikipedia and at hockeydb.com, but am looking for something more substantial. Can anyone shed any more light this subject?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
That's a very interesting article. I remember seeing some the Russian Penguins IHL games. I even have a Russian Penguins jersey, but I didn't know about the politics behind the club. In fact I thought there was still an agreement between them as I believe CSKA still wears the Russian Penguins logo.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
This is exactly why I became a Pens fan. I was a CSKA fan and they constantly updated the results of Pittsburgh games games during CSKA games in 1994/95.

Last edited:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Where from? I have seen the 1999 and 2000 jerseys here (and I really like that you can get them customized in Cyrillic.)

What company made yours? Is it screened or sewn? How much was it and, if shipped, how much was shipping?

It's the old CCM jersey from the 90s. We have a few left at my store. The logo is a screened patch just like all the old CCM replicas.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The questions in that article were terrible, it was like a ten year old who kept asking about the mafia with guns..."how did you know they were mafia...they had guns...wow, so they were bad then...yes...wow, guns...ya, i know...what kinda guns...sawed-off shot guns...cool".

Obviously there seems to be more money in the RSL these days, corruption and strong-arm tactics seem to have evolved.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad