Speculation: The russian invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So, in the underwelming return for McD and Miller we get Namestnikov. For Grabner we we get Rykov.

Do you think this is a strategy to make NYR more attractive for russian players (kovalchuck and Shesterkin)?

yes, 99% sure of it.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Buchnevich
Namestnikov
Kovalchuck - UFA this summer
Rykov - Come over next summer
Shestyorking - Come over next summer
Gusev - UFA next summer

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Buchnevich
Namestnikov
Kovalchuck - UFA this summer
Rykov - Come over next summer
Shestyorking - Come over next summer
Gusev - UFA next summer

I am sure if Rangers want Rykov and Shestyorkin next season they can buy them out.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yeah...

Kovalchuk went to play in the KHL because after an attempted loophole to cap the Devils tried failed, he received a massive about of money on a low tax rate to play in his own country.

It wasn't due to "not enough Russians" in New Jersey.

He's also 34.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Yeah...

Kovalchuk went to play in the KHL because after an attempted loophole to cap the Devils tried failed, he received a massive about of money on a low tax rate to play in his own country.

He's also 34.

Two things you completely forget to mention.

A) While this was one reason, it was certainly not his only reason

B) This is not relative whatsoever to his next contract and I could see why it would be appealing for him to play with and mentor many guys he already has played with in Russia. Furthermore, New York offers a Russian community unlike any other. I can't imagine he isn't intrigued with all the young Russian talent and former teammates on the Rangers and in their system.

P.S. Not saying I want him. I'm kinda split on the opinion and it depends on how the rest of the roster is filled out. That being said, your response was quite disingenuous.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So, in the underwelming return for McD and Miller we get Namestnikov. For Grabner we we get Rykov.

Do you think this is a strategy to make NYR more attractive for russian players (kovalchuck and Shesterkin)?

Nah, I think we are bargain hunting or however you want to put it and these guys can be had with a discount. Like if Rykov was Swede or American he would be harder to get.

Reactions: belford222

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah...

He's also 34.

He only netted about ~$9M on that deal with Jersey in the 2.5 years it was active. The Devils wanted him, but didn't have the money. Lockout year spared them a bit, but Ilya saw he could pretty much get the value of that contract in a couple of years with SKA.

Guy was reported to be clearing in the $10M+ range per year. That's like having a a $20MM/YR here in the states.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I hope the front office isn't planning a Red Army team.....I'm no bigot, but the North American game needs a North American core to succeed, and to connect with the fans. There is something about the NA "win at all costs, do whatever it takes" mindset when it comes to NHL hockey....you have to have it to be successful. This isn't the Olympics.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So an American media company (Cablevision) hires a bunch of Russians, many of whom (Butcher, Shesterkin, Rykov, maybe Kovalchuk and Gusev) are or were previously employed by a company tied to Putin (his favorite team, run by a company whose CEO is Putin's personal long-time friend). I think we need to get the FBI and MSNBC all over this.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Two things you completely forget to mention.

A) While this was one reason, it was certainly not his only reason

B) This is not relative whatsoever to his next contract and I could see why it would be appealing for him to play with and mentor many guys he already has played with in Russia. Furthermore, New York offers a Russian community unlike any other. I can't imagine he isn't intrigued with all the young Russian talent and former teammates on the Rangers and in their system.

P.S. Not saying I want him. I'm kinda split on the opinion and it depends on how the rest of the roster is filled out. That being said, your response was quite disingenuous.

Let me rephrase my disingenuous post then.

He left the NHL for excellent money. He can enjoy Brighton Beach is he so chose without the Rangers bringing in some 20 year old Russian prospects.

And he doesn't give a flying f*** about this in regard to returning to the NHL or choosing NYC.

Also, to any future musings about Kovalchuk, I don't give a shit if he did well in the recent Olympics.

He's always been a been a bit of a prima donna, her's going to be 35, and all the other good players didn't play in the Olympics this year.

Grats on beating Germany though Ilya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->