Post-Game Talk: The Russian Bear Wakes Up - Pens Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Good to know that Murray sucks as well. It looks like we had no good option to choose from at that goaltending position so we went with the cheaper guy. I still think that we need a new goalie. Can´t go with DeSmith as a starter. That´s comical and hopeless. At most, he can maaaaaybe be a very lightly used backup, but that´s it. I really really don´t want to see us to go with him now. Jarry needs to do something or we need a new goalie.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
WELL WELL WELL

I dont like the lack of regulation wins...

BUT...

7f5.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We still need to get to some level and degree of structure where by giving up two goals a night becomes the norm.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Dear Pens,

Please don't leave POJO all alone to thwart off Barzal again anytime soon or ever again.

That's where not having Dumo really hurts. Even if he's not playing as well as he could/should (he seemed to be turning the corner just as he got hurt). It means you don't have to force POJ into a situation like defending Barzal... you can ease him into things better.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look this team doesn't need trades for the sake of trades. Geno and Sid aren't washed up. Jake and Zucker didn't forget how to play hockey. There is plenty of talent that needs maximized here... maybe its a strategic change, maybe its a new voice in the room... maybe its tweaking who plays with whom or what matchups you are trying to get them in....

DeSmith didnt have a great game until the ot... he still plays back too much and is tentative with the poke check... both of our goalies look like they have no confidence and its not like both of them suddenly fell off of a cliff.... this team is pathological with goalies... they play well in front of them until they get comfortable with them then they play stupid hockey and hang them out to dry....

And as for PO and Marino.... you can physically see them overthinking everything now.... heck the whole team is doing that at times... they are all gripping their sticks and playing tight... forcing passes, fumbling pucks... if you are going to make a trade... I suggest a glue guy like a Talbot or Hagelin type to loosen things up...
....but he younger defensemen will be fine... it usually takes years to settle into the NHL... you can have stints where you look like the next all star then follow it with horrible ones where you look like a bust... it takes patience and good coaching to get the most out of them... when they are losing confidence you need to drop their responsibility level down and get them better matchups...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Exactly! Who are we gonna replace him with. ZAR? DOC? Come on. lol
This roster has a severe lack of skilled depth. Top 6 is nice enough, bottom 6 are a bunch of 4th line types. They'll grind shifts out, mostly play some responsible defensive hockey, but outside of the currently injured McCann (at times) none of them show any real top 6 skill.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s been a top six RW for us and great tbh.
Not tonight he wasn't. Seemed to have trouble managing the puck. He's good in open ice but with the Isles structure and positioning, I don't think he looked all that good.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
He’s been a top six RW for us and great tbh.
I've been very happy with him overall. But I do see what my Leafs fan buddies were talking about. He's skilled, he skates hard, he plays two-way hockey... but sometimes he leaves you wondering if he even dressed that night.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Geno's line got advantage playing with Marino and Matheson that could potentially be a good pairing if Marino get back to his old form, at least had a lot of OZ time, although did not do much with that

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ceci and Ruh weren't bad either. I give Ruh a ton of credit. Playing on his offside like that cannot be easy. One thing about Ceci, he'll shoot the damn puck. And while his execution isn't always good, I like his effort.

Outside of POJ, Rudwedel has been the biggest surprise to me. I thought he was #8 blah and I almost regretted resigning him but his play has been fantastic. It's not top pairing quality but its definitely 4/5 caliber and it's been a welcomed surprise in the face of injuries.

Ceci also had a couple of real good sequences where he held the zone and made something happen. For a guy we've nearly written off, it was a good bounce-back game and I hope the trend continues.

The biggest positive I take out of this win is that we came back against a very stringent, structured and disciplined team. It's a good sign if nothing else.

We've come from behind in damn near every game. While there's a lot lacking at the moment, the will to fight is as least there.

WELL WELL WELL

I dont like the lack of regulation wins...

BUT...

7f5.gif

Losses are better?

Reactions: ncm7772
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad