The Russ Conway CBA Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Russ Conway, a sports journalist from Massachussetts who helped bring Alan Eagleson down has spent a lot of time putting together his plan.

The details are contained in an initiative developed here in consultation with an informal panel of 36 recruited from the ranks of the game's most experienced people. They include top pro hockey executives who have been in the business 10 years or more, players and former players, union officials, longtime sports agents, coaches, lawyers and veteran hockey analysts in the media.

The initiative was submitted today to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Players Association Executive Director Bob Goodenow.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20050104/SP_002.htm

Here is Conway's ideas (relying heavily on Scotty Bowman) to resuscitate the offense in the NHL:
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20050104/SP_001.htm

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
its interesting
i dont think there is any way at all the players would go for the tier system described, tho
didnt the owners propose something similar as one of their 6 writeups awhile ago? I also doubt either side would like the maximum 2 year contract idea

Feb 12, 2003
The tier system in his proposal is the same as the slotted system from the NHL's proposal in the summer. I like the idea to a degree, but it doesn't seem like an idea that has already been rejected will come back to life.

I'd support the concept of narrowing the metal frame of the nets to make a little more open room in the net. I'm not exactly convinced that making the ice surface wider would improve anything in the game however. I totally agree with the highlight that the game is too defensively coached today, which is why I support the proposal to abandone the points system for the standings and just go with a win-based standings.

One idea I liked was to prevent teams from making line changes when they make an icing infraction. I'd even take it a step further and say to improve the flow of the game, that there are no line changes during whistles, and that all line changes must be on the fly. It'd be a new challenge for coaches to get their lineup straight, and it would really cut into that quick faceoff that they've been doing. You'd end up with guys out there killing a penalty that you want to get off the ice, of course it'd work mutually though as the power play unit might not be your top choice to start the man advantage. I don't see the harm in it however.

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Is it a hopeful sign that they are talking today about fixing the game and ridding the dead puck era. There are some good changes being proposed that could work. But with all the impasse talk, why focus on this now? Unless its a hopeful sign?

Go Flames Go*

So who decides what tier thoose players are in? The teams or the NHL, and how the hell will free agnecy work when teams will be able only offer the same amount as another team. So say Jarome Iginla is in tier 1 as the franchise player and the max he can make is 8 million so if Calgary had the money and wanted to keep him we could not offer more then 8 million for him?

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
at least there is some dim hope. in all likelihood, the rumour is inaccurate. but i wouldn't be surprised at all if its correct. the players are fighting a losing battle...right or wrong. its hard to win a battle against billionaires...with a few of them being the most selfish people in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad