The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Happened with OEL so the Yotes got hit with whatever the Retained Salary % was for the dead cap of the length of the buyout.

So that makes the math a LITTLE easier.

Essentially, Tavares is owed 8M on 11M cap space.

A buyout of Skinner is 15M.
So if Buffalo retained lets say 20%,

the leafs are paying 12M in cash with cap space spread over 6 years.

We'd be paying out 11M with all of it done in 1 year and with around 12M in total cap

And 20% of this:

Which, would be minimal. If we agreed to buyout Tavares upon trade, likely NMCs don't matter.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I worded that poorly, I apologize, what I meant was that the few instances that follow the perceived scoring model are usually players that enter the league as teenagers. the Crosby's and Ovechkins, and their declines at earlier ages are often due to injuries, as they have a lot of miles on their bodies at a young age.

What I am saying is that the statement that player's scoring peaks in their early 20s is not statistically a thing. I believe it is data manipulation, as they are including the D and bottom six players that typically enter the league at 25+ into the equation and the snapshot of scoring by age drops dramatically due to the faulty science behind the data collection,

Let's look at any random sample. Let's take the remaining playoff teams and look at their top 5 players top scoring years(PPG - not total points due to missed time and shortened seasons). (I will exclude players 23 and younger because we can not know how they are going to score at 25, 26, 27+ etc yet.

Player - Top scoring age year
Carolina
Aho - 26 (so far, he is only 26)
Teravainen - 24
Skjei - 30
Burns - 33
Noesn - 31
Boston
Pastrnak - 26
Marchand 30
Coyle - 31
Zacha - 27
Debrusk - 26
MacAvoy - 24 (but he is only 26 and has started each of the past two seasons injured, and his point totals are not far off that 24 season)
Florida
Reinhart - 28
Tkachuk - 25
Barkov - 23 (came in as an 18 year old and got injured at 24 - this is what I was referring to above)
Verhaeghe - 27
Bennett - 25
Rangers
Panarin - 32
Trocheck - 30
Kreider - 31
Zibanejad - 30
Fox - 26 (this year he is 26 and has his highest PPG number, but missed some time with injury.)

Would you like me to continue with the west? It's the same story. Mackinnon -28, Rantannen -26, Druoin -29, Nichuskin -29, McDavid -26, Hintz - 26, Draisaitl -27, Nugent-Hopkins -30, Pavelski - 37, Duchene - 30.

Take any team in the league. Look at the roster up and down. Look at all the players top scoring years, and you are going to find very few who peaked by 23. It just is not a thing, and I can not for the life of me figure out how these folks came to their conclussions. It has to be measuring points scored by age league-wide, and the 25 age range drops off as a whole when looking at the entire league because that is the age D and bottom six defensive players typically become fulltime players in the league (on average) and their data joins the datapool.

Because it's an aggregate of a players % of points compared to their top scoring year. And it seems that if you compare a players earlier seasons they're more apt to be near their career heights. Even if their individual height wasn't that year.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So that makes the math a LITTLE easier.

Essentially, Tavares is owed 8M on 11M cap space.

A buyout of Skinner is 15M.
So if Buffalo retained lets say 20%,

the leafs are paying 12M in cash with cap space spread over 6 years.

We'd be paying out 11M with all of it done in 1 year and with around 12M in total cap

And 20% of this:

Which, would be minimal. If we agreed to buyout Tavares upon trade, likely NMCs don't matter.
It does kill one of your 3 retention slots for the length of the buyout though not just the length of the original contract.

Tavares buyout would also carry a 10.4m Cap hit for next season and 300k the following year

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Re: Tavares/Skinner

The only reason this COULD make some sense is that the buyout of Skinner is 15M over 6 years and the buyout of Tavares is like a 10M dead cap.

We'd likely have to retain salary and I don't know what happens if we retain and then they buyout.
Skinner's buyout:
Cap Hit50%
24-25$1.4M$700K
25-26$2.4m$1.2
26-27$6.4M$3.2
27-28$2.4M$1.2
28-29$2.4M$1.2
29-30$2.4M$1.2

Skinner 50% retained for Tavares makes a lot of sense for both teams.

With a buyout, Leafs save $10.3M in cap this year and relatively low cap penalties for five years.

Sabres get Tavares for 24-25 at $11M. Maybe he fits with the team. Maybe trade him at the deadline for an asset. They save $7.8M in Year 2 and $5.8M in Year 3. Cap penalty of $1.2M for three following years is negligible.

It's good for both the Sabres and Leafs. It's good for the rivalry, too.

Skinner doesn't have a choice in the matter (except who to sign with as a UFA).

Tavares says no.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Skinner's buyout:
Cap Hit50%
24-25$1.4M$700K
25-26$2.4m$1.2
26-27$6.4M$3.2
27-28$2.4M$1.2
28-29$2.4M$1.2
29-30$2.4M$1.2

With a buyout, Leafs save $10.3M in cap this year and relatively low cap penalties for five years.

Sabres get Tavares for 24-25 at $11M. Maybe he fits with the team. Maybe trade him at the deadline for an asset. They save $7.8M in Year 2 and $5.8M in Year 3. Cap penalty of $1.2M for three following years is negligible.

Tavares says no.
I don't think they would buy him out right away though, he could be useful should they also trade Marner away.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Because it's an aggregate of a players % of points compared to their top scoring year. And it seems that if you compare a players earlier seasons they're more apt to be near their career heights. Even if their individual height wasn't that year.

The argument was that players peak in their early 20s.

The majority of guys that come into the NHL do so with PPG+ scoring prowess in Junior hockey on their resume. To stay in the NHL, they reinvent themselves to fill defensive roles, or they end up out of the league. They come in with hopes of being PPG superstars, but reality sets in and they change their playstyle because there are only so many top six slots available in the NHL, and if you don't adapt, you are left out.

Players aren't becoming worse hockey players from the age of 22 to 27. They are (on the average) getting stronger and smarter and have better overall skills and are far more complete players(evidence in successful playoff tems being full of older vets), but their roles change, and so does their point totals in those roles.

If you look at the raw data, a huge percentage of NHL players are not regular NHL players until they are 25 or 26 (because they were not good enough hockey players at the ages 20-24 to play in the NHL).

The problem has always been about trying to read numbers outside of a very influential context, and trying to draw faulty conclusions without looking at the underlying factors of "Why", and just looking at the raw data. They look at a player like Conor Sheary and see his PPG totals go from nearly a PPG to well less than half a PPG and chalk it up to old age as he turns from 25 to 26, and completely ignore the linemates (crosby most freguent at 25, Riley Sheahan most frequent at 26) and usage(top six vs bottom six). Sheary's story is a common one for mid 20's nhl players. Young offensive guys are sheltered and get offensive deployment, and unless they eventually make the jump to star player, they are replaced by younger high potential players in their roles and adapt to a bottom six role or they fall out of the league.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
And our 1st round pick? Why would Toronto take the salary without getting something out of it?

Anyone who takes Skinner's contract is gonna want a 1st round pick.

Of course I would trade Skinner for Tavares straight up but Toronto isn't going to.
You don't have to give a 1st round pick to trade Skinner. He is overpaid yes... but retain money on him and a team gets him for 5 or 6 million he doesn't have negative value.

Would Toronto do it? Probably not but other teams may.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Skinner's buyout:
Cap Hit50%
24-25$1.4M$700K
25-26$2.4m$1.2
26-27$6.4M$3.2
27-28$2.4M$1.2
28-29$2.4M$1.2
29-30$2.4M$1.2

Tavares says no.

What do you mean Skinner doesn't have a choice?

You have to trade them before they are bought out so the NMC will still be in play

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
As I look at the roster going forward, I think we are young, which doesn't help with winning but that doesn't mean our guys lack skill. With Ruff coming in, we now know this team will have a structure, a game plan, accountability, etc. Love him or hate the choice, Ruff is a bona fide NHL coach. This is going to be a different team next year, and with Pegs signing off on firing Donato, hopefully he's going to switch gears with the Sabres purse strings. I think he will, at least for my plan.

Couple notes about the roster.

The player I am most excited about: Jack Quinn. I'm not sure about stylistic wise but I think of him as Passternick from Boston. I'm not going to be surprised at all if he pots 50....soon. I think he's got the best skill set on the team. He's only been with us in spurts because of injury but his flashes of skill and finishing are elite.

JJ and Benson...young and skilled, and are just scratching their potential. I'd also point out I feel the same about Cozens, he's so young himself.

Tage, Cozens, Tuch, Quin, JJ, Benson & Greenway.....and I'm just going to list Skinner as our 13th forward going forward because teams that want to get rid of a player....do. We'll Olofsson him next year. That gives us 7 forwards, Greenway is the only real banger of the bunch.

Players not coming back: Comrie, Rousek (15th forward call up...not worrying about waivers at all), Jost, Robinson, Olofsson, Girgensons and.....Krebs. Krebs has had numerous chances and he just doesn't show enough flashes to pass even my eye test but he should have SOME trade value.

Players/Picks available for trade: Barring a lottery win, pick #11 as well as next years first. 2nd, 3rds, 4th, etc.....I'd also like the option of flipping a pick with another team....our 11th for said player and your 26th pick. Krebs and Rosen are my first choice to trade. The other Savoie, Kulich and the others should not be required to make the trades I'd like to.

I have 7 forwards so I'm looking for 5 more, maybe one comes from within.

My Targets:

1. Sam Bennett 6'1" 195 signed for 1 more year @ $4.425
2. Nco Sturm 6'3" 209 signed for 1 more year @ $2.0
3. Alex Iafallo 6'0" 200 signed for 1 more year @ $4.0

These are not "high profile" moves. These are guys who can slot up and down the lineup to balance our roster out. The Panthers have Reinhart, Montour and Lundell to sign this offseason, The right offer, they'll need some room. As for the other 2, it shouldn't be that hard. All 3 are at least listed as "centers."

I have to think our 1st would be involved for Bennett.

As far as the other two spots, I actually wouldn't be upset with Domi. He's become kind of a tough plug. Add in a Carrier or two and our team is changed top to bottom:

Iaffalo - Tage - Tuch
JJ - Bennett - Quinn
Benson - Cozens - Domi (listed as LW)
Greenway - Sturm - XXX

As of right now we're about $20 mil under the cap...the 3 use up $10.425 of that. Sign a couple free agents, and a dman...easily workable.

Our team lacks an identity. We've got plenty of skill. Give Ruff that team, we're winning more than we're loosing.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
As I look at the roster going forward, I think we are young, which doesn't help with winning but that doesn't mean our guys lack skill. With Ruff coming in, we now know this team will have a structure, a game plan, accountability, etc. Love him or hate the choice, Ruff is a bona fide NHL coach. This is going to be a different team next year, and with Pegs signing off on firing Donato, hopefully he's going to switch gears with the Sabres purse strings. I think he will, at least for my plan.

Couple notes about the roster.

The player I am most excited about: Jack Quinn. I'm not sure about stylistic wise but I think of him as Passternick from Boston. I'm not going to be surprised at all if he pots 50....soon. I think he's got the best skill set on the team. He's only been with us in spurts because of injury but his flashes of skill and finishing are elite.

JJ and Benson...young and skilled, and are just scratching their potential. I'd also point out I feel the same about Cozens, he's so young himself.

Tage, Cozens, Tuch, Quin, JJ, Benson & Greenway.....and I'm just going to list Skinner as our 13th forward going forward because teams that want to get rid of a player....do. We'll Olofsson him next year. That gives us 7 forwards, Greenway is the only real banger of the bunch.

Players not coming back: Comrie, Rousek (15th forward call up...not worrying about waivers at all), Jost, Robinson, Olofsson, Girgensons and.....Krebs. Krebs has had numerous chances and he just doesn't show enough flashes to pass even my eye test but he should have SOME trade value.

Players/Picks available for trade: Barring a lottery win, pick #11 as well as next years first. 2nd, 3rds, 4th, etc.....I'd also like the option of flipping a pick with another team....our 11th for said player and your 26th pick. Krebs and Rosen are my first choice to trade. The other Savoie, Kulich and the others should not be required to make the trades I'd like to.

I have 7 forwards so I'm looking for 5 more, maybe one comes from within.

My Targets:

1. Sam Bennett 6'1" 195 signed for 1 more year @ $4.425
2. Nco Sturm 6'3" 209 signed for 1 more year @ $2.0
3. Alex Iafallo 6'0" 200 signed for 1 more year @ $4.0

These are not "high profile" moves. These are guys who can slot up and down the lineup to balance our roster out. The Panthers have Reinhart, Montour and Lundell to sign this offseason, The right offer, they'll need some room. As for the other 2, it shouldn't be that hard. All 3 are at least listed as "centers."

I have to think our 1st would be involved for Bennett.

As far as the other two spots, I actually wouldn't be upset with Domi. He's become kind of a tough plug. Add in a Carrier or two and our team is changed top to bottom:

Iaffalo - Tage - Tuch
JJ - Bennett - Quinn
Benson - Cozens - Domi (listed as LW)
Greenway - Sturm - XXX

As of right now we're about $20 mil under the cap...the 3 use up $10.425 of that. Sign a couple free agents, and a dman...easily workable.

Our team lacks an identity. We've got plenty of skill. Give Ruff that team, we're winning more than we're loosing.
Jesus. I hope we don't give up 11OA for 1 year of Bennett.

I like the players. No diggity. I'm guessing they go out and get definitive bottom 6ers aside from the maybe 1 top6F. I guess you never know with Lindy because you can count on him to mix up the lineup after any loss.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What do you mean Skinner doesn't have a choice?

You have to trade them before they are bought out so the NMC will still be in play

A buyout would likely net him more cash and let him choose where to play. He’d get 15 out of 22M left in his deal. Then he’d likely get more than 7 M over the next 3 years.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The argument was that players peak in their early 20s.

The majority of guys that come into the NHL do so with PPG+ scoring prowess in Junior hockey on their resume. To stay in the NHL, they reinvent themselves to fill defensive roles, or they end up out of the league. They come in with hopes of being PPG superstars, but reality sets in and they change their playstyle because there are only so many top six slots available in the NHL, and if you don't adapt, you are left out.

Players aren't becoming worse hockey players from the age of 22 to 27. They are (on the average) getting stronger and smarter and have better overall skills and are far more complete players(evidence in successful playoff tems being full of older vets), but their roles change, and so does their point totals in those roles.

If you look at the raw data, a huge percentage of NHL players are not regular NHL players until they are 25 or 26 (because they were not good enough hockey players at the ages 20-24 to play in the NHL).

The problem has always been about trying to read numbers outside of a very influential context, and trying to draw faulty conclusions without looking at the underlying factors of "Why", and just looking at the raw data. They look at a player like Conor Sheary and see his PPG totals go from nearly a PPG to well less than half a PPG and chalk it up to old age as he turns from 25 to 26, and completely ignore the linemates (crosby most freguent at 25, Riley Sheahan most frequent at 26) and usage(top six vs bottom six). Sheary's story is a common one for mid 20's nhl players. Young offensive guys are sheltered and get offensive deployment, and unless they eventually make the jump to star player, they are replaced by younger high potential players in their roles and adapt to a bottom six role or they fall out of the league.

All of that is fine, again what the curve shows is the % of a player's points by age. And the curve shows that it's not divorced from reality to say players do better younger than people generally give credit for. As I said originally, it might not be right, but it's not bonkers.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Jesus. I hope we don't give up 11OA for 1 year of Bennett.

I like the players. No diggity. I'm guessing they go out and get definitive bottom 6ers aside from the maybe 1 top6F. I guess you never know with Lindy because you can count on him to mix up the lineup after any loss.
LOVED that you said this! Chuckled when I read it. Bring it back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad