Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't care how bad he's been, I'm not trading Faulk for a prospect and a pick. That's insane.
I was unclear....I should have said, at Faulk's current level of play, it feels like he's worth a prospect like Howden, Katchouk, or Raddysh (all three are high quality prospects) and a good pick. But I'd have to think very long and hard about that - meaning do I think he can recapture his previous level of play....that's where I'm just not sure. Right now he looks as lost as anybody.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
And I think we all remember what happened to this guy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In terms of the off season, I don't see us trading for picks or prospects, unless the prospect is deemed high potential and NHL ready. It's been way too long to be out of the playoffs so can't be making moves that push it out further.

If we are out of it by the deadline, I could see some trades for picks/prospects though. Guys like Ryan and Stempniak for instance. Could then do like Francis did this past off season and use the picks to get roster players, only hopefully with more success (TVR worked out, Kruger and Darling so far haven't).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I get that we won't and even agree that we probably shouldn't trade a player like Faulk for futures. That said, I was mostly commenting on the value of his recent play.

Not to beat the dead horse, sound like a broken record, etc. I'd only trade one of our young, active players for somebody who could help us now and in the future (BBA and I have both commented on ROR in this regard). Even then, it might be something more akin to a futures heavy deal on our end with an active player and near ready prospect included. I also agree that it would be hard for us to swing this type of deal until the draft (maybe a guy like Hoffman excepted).

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I would bet that Skinner gets traded before the end of his current contract, particularly if Peters is remaining behind the bench. I know he is a scorer, which we need more of, but I just feel like he can't be trusted out there a lot of the time, and how in the world is he like a -25?

Skinner + pick for a Dman followed by Faulk + pick for a Forward maybe center depending on what else has happened prior.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
For me it depends on what players are available for Faulk, and what constitutes "futures." If a ROR or RNH can reasonably be had, then that's the better move. If they aren't available though and we're selling at the deadline, a guy like Howden might work alright for futures. I don't know enough about him, but if smarter people than me say he's a big, high potential player that's ready to step in and contribute in the NHL next season, then I'd be OK with it.

I compare it to say Brayden Point. If we trade Faulk for what he was 2 years ago, that would have been a "futures" deal and looked down on. But now that he's established, looking like a 60+ point 2C, Faulk isn't touching him. A move like that, catching a guy right before he steps in and establishes himself could have a big payoff. The risk is really trusting your scouting staff to make sure you've got the right guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad