Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wouldn't give a first. I would do two seconds before that. Bean, Gauthier, Kooks and Carrick would seem to be our biggest prospects and I would consider any of them. I would think one of Rask/TT/Lindy with a prospect coming along would be a better move for you guys? You get someone cheaper who can still help out now and put up similar points plus a prospect.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I wouldn't give a first. I would do two seconds before that. Bean, Gauthier, Kooks and Carrick would seem to be our biggest prospects and I would consider any of them. I would think one of Rask/TT/Lindy with a prospect coming along would be a better move for you guys? You get someone cheaper who can still help out now and put up similar points plus a prospect.

I’ve seen you lump Rask/TT/Lindholm together a few times and have been meaning to ask you why that is.

There’s nothing more to be said about Rask but TT is having a good year offensively. Lindholm seems like a good case of wasted potential but still is better than Rask.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i have always felt like the trade deadline was a good time to test drive a ufa if you planned to pursue them the next offseason. after the darlng debacle, this seems especially pertinent. if we're going to make a major push for a player in july, why not pick them up for the stretch run and see how they fit into the dynamic of the team and proceed from there? worst case scenario is that a rental is a rental. best case scenario you find a good fit for your club and you have exclusive negotiation rights.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
As frustrated as we're all going to be with another playoff miss, I just think this team has too many holes to expect any trade deadline arrivals to change anything. I just don't think we'll be active. The sum total of our activity will probably be to dump Stempniak and Ryan and bring up a few kids from Charlotte. I would like to see us do more, but I'm OK with this. Needing to shore up goaltending in addition to scoring makes it nearly impossible to fix in the short term.

Striking out on Darling has really set back the rebuild as well. We need a long-term solution in goal, a long-term solution to our scoring woes -- particularly at center -- and I wouldn't mind a veteran for the top-4 on defense. Essentially the same shopping list as last summer, except we owe Darling and Kruger a bunch of money.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I don’t think anyone is going to take Darling on for a 2nd and give us back a decent goaltender. Just my opinion, though.
I am not sure they are very high on Mrazek. They left him unprotected for Vegas draft and as someone mentioned above, they offered him to Philly for 3rd. I agree that they probably don't want to take Darling. But I am pretty sure that they are okey with Mrazek leaving.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I am not sure they are very high on Mrazek. They left him unprotected for Vegas draft and as someone mentioned above, they offered him to Philly for 3rd. I agree that they probably don't want to take Darling. But I am pretty sure that they are okey with Mrazek leaving.

100% they’re ok with him leaving, as evidenced by them offering him around the league. That’s the whole reason we’re even talking about him.

Doesn’t mean they’re going to take an awful contract in return. They have very little in the way of good prospects and young players. They need to rebuild. Whether or not ken holland knows it yet remains to be seen.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
100% they’re ok with him leaving, as evidenced by them offering him around the league. That’s the whole reason we’re even talking about him.

Doesn’t mean they’re going to take an awful contract in return. They have very little in the way of good prospects and young players. They need to rebuild. Whether or not ken holland knows it yet remains to be seen.
I am just searching for ways to get rid of Darling. You are right.
And if Holland is not going rebuild mode now, then he must be fired.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve seen you lump Rask/TT/Lindholm together a few times and have been meaning to ask you why that is.

There’s nothing more to be said about Rask but TT is having a good year offensively. Lindholm seems like a good case of wasted potential but still is better than Rask.
Our wingers are pretty similar with Aho/Skinner/TT/Lindy. All play relatively small, east/west euro style while taking up top big slots on wing. I don’t want any gone, but if we can swap one of them for a better fit moving forward at either a different position or a different style winger I think it helps us. My first choice is TT, because I favor the guys we draft and I feel he’s a valuable piece that can get us a good player. Swapping out TT for Nuge makes us better at center and opens up a spot for a more natural winger, as would Lindy. If we aren’t going to play Lindy at center then I think we’re wasting him a bit and the same concept applies. Rask is there for me because he saves Edmonton money while giving them an above average number three that’s cost controlled, while improving us at center.

If we moved Lindy to center we move a more natural winger into his spot, which helps. If we upgrade centers too, it helps.

Basically comes down to we’re soft in my opinion because we employ the four guys the way we do and are surprised when stronger teams own the boards on us. Lindy can be himself and not stuck in board battles on the wall if he’s center, and we could swap out TT for a different look elsewhere.

I’m not against any of them, just think one of them may be expendable if we can add a good player than balances things out a bit.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'm just saying, if you're looking to tank for a few years and collect high draft picks, you can't accomplish that much easier than deploying Darling as 1G

Can you develop young players in an environment where they get scored on every time they make the slightest mistake? Having no confidence in your goalie whatsoever must make for such a negative, depressing environment.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Question: When Aho has played center, how has he looked there?
How has he looked? Mostly over his shoulder at the bench to see when he was going to be yanked.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure he fully made the transition to playing "center" when he was the center. For example, on a few of his shifts at center, he played the "point" harassing the other teams players that were breaking the puck out of their own zone and up the ice just like he usually does when he plays the wing position. I have no idea if he was supposed to be doing that or not, but it is not what we normally have the centers do.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho has played wing for 2 years.....at this point it will take a summer/training camp of him playing center consistently in order to get his habits back in order.

My understanding is that he played almost exclusively wing in Finland with Karpat as well. It was only at the WJC, because he was better suited than Laine and Puljujarvi that he shifted to center. I know the Canes said they want him to play center, but it's not a position he's played much of the past 4 years.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
they used to say skinner was going to be a center too lmao. Interestingly, that stopped around the time they acquired jstaal (ie fixed their long running 2nd line center problem).

staal, rask, necas, lindholm in a pinch, trade/fa....i don't think center is in the immediate future for aho.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
they used to say skinner was going to be a center too lmao. Interestingly, that stopped around the time they acquired jstaal (ie fixed their long running 2nd line center problem).

staal, rask, necas, lindholm in a pinch, trade/fa....i don't think center is in the immediate future for aho.

Neither is it for Necas. For several seasons and all cap restraints aside we have banked on a center position being filled by an unproven NHL caliber center. Be it Nash, Roy, Ryan, and now Necas might be the next victim. There are probably others on that list is well if we keep going back. I think banking on Necas to help us next season is a very big mistake. If that is what you're alluding to.

I am inclined to believe that Lindy and Staal are an ok 2-3 punch but unless Lindy steps his game up and in a big way. We still need that scoring 1C. A 60 - 7o point guy thta plays a solid 2-way game. Rask is a serviceable C but he has regressed this year and in a big way. I don't think center help is coming from the AHL or Europe ranks any time soon.

Reactions: cptjeff

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Neither is it for Necas. For several seasons and all cap restraints aside we have banked on a center position being filled by an unproven NHL caliber center. Be it Nash, Roy, Ryan, and now Necas might be the next victim. There are probably others on that list is well if we keep going back. I think banking on Necas to help us next season is a very big mistake. If that is what you're alluding to.

I am inclined to believe that Lindy and Staal are an ok 2-3 punch but unless Lindy steps his game up and in a big way. We still need that scoring 1C. A 60 - 7o point guy thta plays a solid 2-way game. Rask is a serviceable C but he has regressed this year and in a big way. I don't think center help is coming from the AHL or Europe ranks any time soon.

Did you stop smoking weed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->