Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Shocking that you'd ignore where he has had success (TVR, TT, most draft picks, etc). Don't let recency bias detract from his overall body of work. No one expected Kruger and Darling to flop as badly as they have, but **** happens.
It's easy to ignore that "success" when it hasn't actually translated into anything. And GMs get paid to expect things like that.

Also, really the only draft pick that's impressive is Aho. Fleury is looking meh compared to some players picked behind him. Hanifin fell into his lap, and there are still questions about his upside. Bean and Gauthier look meh. Necas remains to be seen as well. His drafting isn't really a strong point.

If anything, recency bias would make him look good since we're currently in a playoff spot.

If you want to give him credit for that stuff you're talking about, you also have to criticize him on Lack, Darling, Rask, and Kruger, and the fact that we still haven't made the playoffs under him in a league where over half of the teams make them.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Shocking that you'd ignore where he has had success (TVR, TT, most draft picks, etc). Don't let recency bias detract from his overall body of work. No one expected Kruger and Darling to flop as badly as they have, but **** happens.

I'm not ignoring anything. You're putting "most draft picks" in the "W" column, but aside from Aho in the second, his drafting has been average at best. A solid argument can be made that better players were available after he chose Hanifin and Fleury, and the jury is clearly still out on Bean and Gauthier in the first round, but it's pretty obvious neither of them are ready to set the NHL on fire.

He's been average, at best, IMO. There's no way TT and TVR make up for the sucking money pits that are Darling, Rask and Kruger.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I wouldn’t touch Toews unless he was 50% retained. I would still do Duchene, couple of years younger and not on a huge long term deal. After this year he might not be as expensive to resign either.
Duchene is really finding his stride. I believe it’s now 22 points in last 20 games, and even better than that, it’s just so obvious how skilled he is. And freakishly strong for his size.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Duchene is really finding his stride. I believe it’s now 22 points in last 20 games, and even better than that, it’s just so obvious how skilled he is. And freakishly strong for his size.

Yeah, I'm not sure if he'd have been worth the cost for us, but I knew for certain that those who were writing him off were going to be proven wrong. The kid is fast, strong and skilled, and I'd love to have him.

Has he been playing center?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Hearing Detroit floated Mrazek to Philly for a 3rd and the Flyers declined.

Wonder if offering a 4th for his services and then waiving Darling might be something worth considering.

If that's seriously the cost of Mrazek I jump on that. The guy's first 100 games in the NHL were fantastic and I think it's no coincidence that his numbers have dropped as the Red Wings have turned into a crap team in front of him. Put him on a good team (or decent team like ours) and hopefully he finds his groove again.

He's a RFA next season so we're not committed to him long term and could give him a quick trial before next season. That'd be a more proper way to find a goalie instead of instantly handing him a 4 year deal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If that's seriously the cost of Mrazek I jump on that. The guy's first 100 games in the NHL were fantastic and I think it's no coincidence that his numbers have dropped as the Red Wings have turned into a crap team in front of him. Put him on a good team (or decent team like ours) and hopefully he finds his groove again.

He's a RFA next season so we're not committed to him long term and could give him a quick trial before next season. That'd be a more proper way to find a goalie instead of instantly handing him a 4 year deal.

Yeah, this is the route I think we should try given everything else that we've tried before. Get an RFA that is available like Mrazek (Lehner is also rumored to be available and is RFA next year and has looked decent on a dumpster fire team) and sign them to a year or two. If it works out, pay them. If not, we are no worse than this year. The question is, if we do that, who is the second goalie? Keep Darling because of contract next year and say good bye to Ward, or resign Ward to another 2 or 3 year extension as back up and buyout Darling, or keep all three and limit the skaters on the roster?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
McKenzie did mention us sniffing around Mrazek on his podcast not long ago. Not my first choice, especially with what he makes. I feel like we're just at the point where we're pining after every mediocre goalie. His stats last year aren't remarkably different from Darling this year. And even this year, bad team or not, his stats don't look so hot. It is a lot about fit, and maybe he'd just be a good fit here, but I wouldn't count on it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, this is the route I think we should try given everything else that we've tried before. Get an RFA that is available like Mrazek (Lehner is also rumored to be available and is RFA next year and has looked decent on a dumpster fire team) and sign them to a year or two. If it works out, pay them. If not, we are no worse than this year. The question is, if we do that, who is the second goalie? Keep Darling because of contract next year and say good bye to Ward, or resign Ward to another 2 or 3 year extension as back up and buyout Darling, or keep all three and limit the skaters on the roster?
I think we keep Ward around and move on from Darling. I'd bring in Mrazek (the reports came from Philly about this) as a tryout for the remainder of the season. If it works, extend him and you have your 2 deep next year. If it doesn't, he's RFA so no harm no foul.

Either way I'd waive Darling and pray someone claims him. If they don't, let him finish out the year in Charlotte, and possibly cut him in the summer.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I would spend a third on him no questions asked. If it works, great, if not you don’t qualify him or you do and try to trade him potentially.

Very low risk which could potentially save our season f he plays like he’s shown he’s capable of.

Can we pray to the hockey gods for a Devyn Dubnyk 2.0 acquisition please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->