Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I am operating under the assumption that a huge offer is already available.
As am I.

The thing that the ownership group will know is the exact communication being returned from JT's side of things (or the lack thereof, just as importantly). If stones remain un-turned and JT walks, Snow might be seen as having failed. If Snow is offering every possible thing he can, making every overture, effectively communicating with both parties, etc, etc, then it's unlikely that he would shoulder the blame in the owner's eyes.

More likely than not, ownership and Snow are as one in this process, and the failure to sign JT would not be seen as a failure on Snow's part in particular. At least that's how I see the *probable* perspective in such an eventuality...it's possible these owners ignore all nuance and judge Snow entirely on the end result. We may never know.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
As am I.

The thing that the ownership group will know is the exact communication being returned from JT's side of things (or the lack thereof, just as importantly). If stones remain un-turned and JT walks, Snow might be seen as having failed. If Snow is offering every possible thing he can, making every overture, effectively communicating with both parties, etc, etc, then it's unlikely that he would shoulder the blame in the owner's eyes.

More likely than not, ownership and Snow are as one in this process, and the failure to sign JT would not be seen as a failure on Snow's part in particular. At least that's how I see the *probable* perspective in such an eventuality...it's possible these owners ignore all nuance and judge Snow entirely on the end result. We may never know.

I agree on a micro-level. Despite JT's comments that he wants to stay with the Islanders, his demands could be unreasonable.

On a macro-level Snow has been the GM for 12 years. He bears some responsibility for the environment where a Superstar homegrown talent walks. Certainly not all of it, but a decent share.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree on a micro-level. Despite JT's comments that he wants to stay with the Islanders, his demands could be unreasonable.

On a macro-level Snow has been the GM for 12 years. He bears some responsibility for the environment where a Superstar homegrown talent walks. Certainly not all of it, but a decent share.

Maybe, but as we've seen with PK, sometimes it's hard to separate the ownership from the GM.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As am I.

The other side of that coin, however, is that maybe ownership does know that Snow made every overture to JT and they were all rebuffed...because the team around JT was not one JT felt he could win with long term. That would be a situation where ownership might say "Snow, you offered him all you could, but in the end your moves prior to this negotiation were poor and JT saw that. We are going to go in a different direction."

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Go after Raanta or Lehner. Arizona has oodles of cap room, so maybe if we overpay, they take Darlings bad contract, too. Retain 50%, whatever it takes, but get him out and someone who can at least competently backup Ward.

Pay Ward more next year, too.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm assuming Francis won't make a single move this deadline, and I honestly wouldn't have an issue with that. The team hasn't really taken that extra step to be a playoff contender, and I doubt any player we could acquire would give them that push.

It seems like a mental thing more than anything. No one's got that drive to put their team on their back and carry them, kicking and screaming if need be.

Since the change has to come from within, trading assets for a rental doesn't make sense.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t disagree that they will probably do nothing. I’d he can find a guy that’s part of next year and beyond vs a rental I’d like it. There’s always guys available you didn’t hear about in the media. If one shakes loose at the deadline that’s just a good idea in general I’d hope he would jump on it. I don’t think they will or should add anyone that’s just for the playoff push.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
With the Toews to Carolina proposals...

Would you take Toews for Rask + 2nd

They are doing it as a cap dump, we are upgrading our center.

My first instinct is to say absolutely. But then I remember the contract he has, and question why he'd even be available in the first place.

So probably not.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
They have to take back Darling..

Seriously, how do the Canes get rid of Darling?

I'd consider that deal a lot more if it's Darling + pick for Toews. But it's still easier to get out from under Darling's contract than Toews's, so that's a no.

No reason to take a losing proposition of a deal to move on from Rask. If he has negative value he can be bought out for 1/3 in the off-season. If he has trade value and can be moved for a more expensive C upgrade or even a G, that's different.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So now we're talking about having to dump Darling's and Rask's contracts, after sending Kruger's and Jooris's to the AHL. Three of those are massively bad signings by Ron Francis, and the other is a trade made by Ron Francis. Why is this guy considered in the top half of NHL GMs again? What has he done other than what is absolutely necessary (trading UFAs, making draft picks) that has worked out in any way?

This is a really bad time for all of RF's major acquisitions and signings to be bombing. If we have to buy out Darling, and have to trade assets to dump Rask and Kruger, how does RF survive all that with the new owner?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Toews, like Duchene, is a brand name player living off past successes who isn't worth what it would take to acquire him, or in the case of Toews, the massive cap hit/salary. (And for the record, Toews is 13.8M salary this year, then dips to 12M, 9.8M, 7, 6.9, and 6.9, which includes 25m in signing bonuses that effectively make his contract buy-out proof). Can't wait until we trade for him and he scores 45 points a year and fans are calling for his head twenty games into next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad