Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Copied from the other thread:

To add to the improbably hilarity....

2018-2019 Canes
Aho - Tavares - Teravainen
Skinner- O'Reilly - Williams
McGinn- J Staal - Lindholm
Nordy - Krueger - McLovin

Since we are dreaming, maybe a high scoring winger would be better instead of ROR

JVR/Pacioretty/Neal/Kane/Bailey - Tavares - Williams
Aho-Staal-TT
Skinner-Necas-Lindholm
McGinn-Kruger-McLovin

This way, we aren't spending any of our assets, just Tom Dundon's hard earned money if we go after Tavares and a UFA winger (Patches would required a trade).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Now that we solved forward and defense by just using Dundon's money, WTF do we do about goaltending?

In all seriousness, I know that Tavares and ROR may be longshots, but I think RF HAS to add an impact forward next year, preferably a center. I also think the Canes expect Necas to make the line-up and I doubt they re-sign Stempniak.

Do you think they give a guy like Zykov a chance?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I just want that Kruger is gone. Can we make that happen?
We'll keep him this season but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it happen this offseason. There's only so much longer we can keep guys like Wallmark and McLovin in the AHL and of the long-term 4th liners right now, he's a LOT more expendable then Nordy is, yet alone legit top 9 guys that can slot down like McGinn.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
We'll keep him this season but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it happen this offseason. There's only so much longer we can keep guys like Wallmark and McLovin in the AHL and of the long-term 4th liners right now, he's a LOT more expendable then Nordy is, yet alone legit top 9 guys that can slot down like McGinn.
I wish. His skills are even replaceable within our system. I rather see some of our guys develop than him keeping that roster spot for no good reason.

Another lock for next year IMO is Necas. I am 95% sure he will make the team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Stastny and Backlund are by far the best of the realistic options, though neither strikes me as a #1, more of a good #2 in both cases.

I wish. His skills are even replaceable within our system. I rather see some of our guys develop than him keeping that roster spot for no good reason.

Another lock for next year IMO is Necas. I am 95% sure he will make the team.

Yeah so am I on both counts. I have little doubt that Wallmark can be our #4 while providing much more offense for a slight downgrade on D. I do think McLovin could do it NOW with more offense, though he projects as a winger long term IMHO. And yes, long-term and almost certainly starting next year Necas will be a C in our lineup. Crazy to say but I'd love to see a way for us to keep Ryan as well, though I wonder what his comfort level on the wing would be.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Yeah so am I on both counts. I have little doubt that Wallmark can be our #4 while providing much more offense for a slight downgrade on D. I do think McLovin could do it NOW with more offense, though he projects as a winger long term IMHO. And yes, long-term and almost certainly starting next year Necas will be a C in our lineup. Crazy to say but I'd love to see a way for us to keep Ryan as well, though I wonder what his comfort level on the wing would be.
I would give another 1 year contract for Ryan if we are not able to upgrade. I was for a long time in Ryan out camp, but he is not that bad, especially this season. But if we want to compete, he is expendable IMO.

Derek Ryan? Matt Cullen?
There is no way Cullen is not retiring this off-season..

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I didn't see this thread before I posted in the other one.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Hoffman, assuming he would be attainable at a Bean+/Fleury+ type of price. Loading up at LW is not ideal, but it may be a better strategy than trying to force a trade for a pivot in a rather barren center market. Lindholm can be a more productive player than he’s been this year; this was a guy that looked like he was breaking out in the 2nd half of last season. He displayed some high level passing ability last year, but has struggled to be that playmaker at EV away from Aho. The only other true goal scorer on the roster is Skinner and his one man show-type of offense makes it difficult for Lindholm to get the puck to create. Get him a trigger man and maybe that’s the basis for that line in the same way Aho+Teravinen and Skinner+Stempniak drive the other scoring lines. Galchenyuk would be another option, if Montreal makes him available.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Derek Ryan? Matt Cullen?

The solution to our goaltending problems addressed in free agency this year!!

There is no way Cullen is not retiring this off-season..

My source has told me this literally will not be true intil Cullen and his agent file the appropriate paperwork with nhl central office. Stay tuned!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The solution to our goaltending problems addressed in free agency this year!!
Cam Ward :sarcasm:

but yeah, of our current forwards, the ones I'd put as expendable from least to most:
Nordy
Ryan
Stempniak
Krueger
Jooris
PDG

I'd find a way to keep the top 2 on the list for next season at least, the last 3 we either hold through a playoff push or we move this offseason or at the deadline.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
As decent as Ward has been, I think the Canes have to roll the dice with someone who might actually take the #1 spot, even if it means spending assets in trade. Darling is going to stay...there's no reason that you need to pair him with Ward for another year.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
What about Lehner?

EDIT: I say that without knowing if he would be the type of goalie that would work in the Canes system.

He’s a very angry man so he’s got the @HankAnger seal of approval

tXFHyjn_d.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad