Movies: The Room (2003) - By Tommy Wiseau

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

The drug scene is a classic.

WHAT KIND OF MONEY DENNY?
Really? I always see the other scenes referenced ahead of it (some more obviously than others, like a lot of the stuff you listed). Just peripherally though-- I don't keep up with the movie's community or whatever.

Like.. the timing of when he says "That's me", as if he's just now responding to something that happened ten seconds ago as well as how he felt the need to shoehorn her saying that he's her favorite customer gets me a lot more than the "Hi doggie" part.
My favorite part of that scene is the florist saying “Oh Johnny I didn’t realize that was you” after he takes off his sunglasses. Like he just has such a normal every day look to him that it could possibly be anyone else lol.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would not go as far as to say that I like it anywhere close to my favorite films, or things that I consider masterpieces, but personally, I admire, see more value in, and am impressed by it as an experience and as a thing that exists in the universe (not the effort to create it, obviously) to a significantly greater degree than a ton of critically acclaimed things that are generally considered great, personally.

Like, I can genuinely say that I found watching The Room more creatively fulfilling and inspired (again, not by the effort but by the outcome) than watching The Social Network or Chernobyl, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I f***ing love this movie so much. It is simultaneously the worst and greatest thing of all time.

It's just so ungodly stupid that it's breathtaking.

• Love
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
My personal favorite moment was the first time I watched it. It's going along and then it starts to dawn on me ... This isn't going to end how I think it's going to end, right? There's no way it's going to end that way ... and friends, it definitely ended that way. I howled.

Still funny but nothing will top that realization the first time I watched it.

As a viewing experience, I actually think the best way to see it for the first time isn't in the super-fan theater setting. I tell folks who are The Room curious that if they can get with a couple of friends to watch it (you definitely need other people around), to do that.

While there is fun and energy in the theater event, the experience also steps on every funny moment and oddity right before or right while something is happening. A lot of folks aren't reacting to the movie — they're pre-acting. It's almost like someone explaining a joke to you.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
My personal favorite moment was the first time I watched it. It's going along and then it starts to dawn on me ... This isn't going to end how I think it's going to end, right? There's no way it's going to end that way ... and friends, it definitely ended that way. I howled.

Still funny but nothing will top that realization the first time I watched it.

As a viewing experience, I actually think the best way to see it for the first time isn't in the super-fan theater setting. I tell folks who are The Room curious that if they can get with a couple of friends to watch it (you definitely need other people around), to do that.

While there is fun and energy in the theater event, the experience also steps on every funny moment and oddity right before or right while something is happening. A lot of folks aren't reacting to the movie — they're pre-acting. It's almost like someone explaining a joke to you.
That was also my brother's favorite part when I showed it to him.
In the minutes leading up to the big event my brother goes 'God I hope this guy off's himself' and I just glance over at him and stay silent. I haven't seen him laugh that hard in years and years.

I agree with your whole comment though. I like being the friend to watch it with other for their first time. Seeing their reaction and which parts of the insanity they pick up on first is just great.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It might be funny to pretend that it's a really good movie before watching it with friends. Your praise might even sound credible because they heard good things about "The Room" (the one with Brie Larson). You could then observe how long it takes before they realize that you pranked them. They may never speak to you or at least trust you again, but it could be worth it for the laughs.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
My wife just dropped an amazing surprise on me... She impulse-purchased tickets to a live screening with a meet & greet as well as a Q & A with Greg Sestero, the original Mark and author of The Disaster Artist.

I'm going in full Tommy Wiseau garb and I might try to get him to toss a football with me lol

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
My wife just dropped an amazing surprise on me... She impulse-purchased tickets to a live screening with a meet & greet as well as a Q & A with Greg Sestero, the original Mark and author of The Disaster Artist.

I'm going in full Tommy Wiseau garb and I might try to get him to toss a football with me lol

haha what a story mark

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad