The Rise of German Hockey Players in The NHL (Discussion)

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
In recent times, more and more Europeans have joined the NHL
...and I'm totally ok with that, the more the better.

One of the Countries on the rise recently has been Germany.
While there have been many German Born and Canadian Trained players in the past, There are also a lot of German Trained Players that have been in the league recently.

In Recent years, We have had Forwards like Leon Draisaitl and Dany Heatley, Defenseman including Christian Ehrhoff and Dennis Seidenberg, and Goalies such as Thomas Greiss and Philipp Grubauer.

Let's Discuss about the Rise of German Players in the NHL as well as How they are affecting the League now and How they will effect the League in the Near Future. (Especially with Tim Strutzle on the way.)

-BlueBull

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
dany-heatley-of-canada-is-seen-during-the-ice-hockey-mens-semifinal-picture-id97124474

The rise of German players.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They skyrocketed from 11th place to 6th at the world championships to almost being relegated in the world juniors.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
In recent times, more and more Europeans have joined the NHL
...and I'm totally ok with that, the more the better.

One of the Countries on the rise recently has been Germany.
While there have been many German Born and Canadian Trained players in the past, There are also a lot of German Trained Players that have been in the league recently.

In Recent years, We have had Forwards like Leon Draisaitl and Dany Heatley, Defenseman including Christian Ehrhoff and Dennis Seidenberg, and Goalies such as Thomas Greiss and Philipp Grubauer.

Let's Discuss about the Rise of German Players in the NHL as well as How they are affecting the League now and How they will effect the League in the Near Future. (Especially with Tim Strutzle on the way.)

-BlueBull
Marco Sturm will also be an NHL head coach in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Gee Wally

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah, several issues here...

Heatley may have had dual citizenship but that's as far as him being German goes. He is as Canadian as can be.

Ehrhoff was good for a handful of years and then just vanished.

Also agree that neither one of those examples are "recent".

German influence in the NHL ebbs and flows, you'll have years where there are great players (Krupp, Koelzig) and then you'll have years where theres barely anything to show for and the best German player is Seidenberg.

Draisaitl is easily the best player Germany has ever had and is definitely an exception to the rule, but that doesn't mean we will see Germany produce absolute superstars in the future despite them having some VERY promising prospects in the pipelines.

Germany's hockey infrastructure is well below par of the great hockey nations like Canada, Russia, Finland and Sweden and I don't see any improvement coming.

As for your question as to how they will "effect" the NHL? Well they won't. Once Draisaitl retires I don't think you will see any player of significance coming for the foreseeable future.

You will always have German players play in the NHL, very few leave a mark.

Before Draisaitl, the greatest "German" NHL player was Koelzig and that guy was barely German being born in South Africa and then moving to Canada. I don't think he ever went through the German hockey system. Come to think of it, him and Heatley are both equally "German", the difference is one decided to play for Canada, the other decided to play for Germany, which is understandable given that playing hockey for South Africa would have been less than fruitful.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
As for your question as to how they will "effect" the NHL? Well they won't. Once Draisaitl retires I don't think you will see any player of significance coming for the foreseeable future.

1. Tim Stutzle is on the Horizon.
2. What German hockey players are doing now will inspire future generations to play hockey, especially with the Silver Germany won in 2018.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Draisaitl is easily the best player Germany has ever had and is definitely an exception to the rule, but that doesn't mean we will see Germany produce absolute superstars in the future despite them having some VERY promising prospects in the pipelines.
Tom Kuhnhackl would like a word.
542035918.0.jpg

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Heatley may have had dual citizenship but that's as far as him being German goes. He is as Canadian as can be.

Ehrhoff was good for a handful of years and then just vanished.

Also agree that neither one of those examples are "recent".

German influence in the NHL ebbs and flows, you'll have years where there are great players (Krupp, Koelzig) and then you'll have years where theres barely anything to show for and the best German player is Seidenberg.

Germany's hockey infrastructure is well below par of the great hockey nations like Canada, Russia, Finland and Sweden and I don't see any improvement coming.

Before Draisaitl, the greatest "German" NHL player was Koelzig and that guy was barely German being born in South Africa and then moving to Canada. I don't think he ever went through the German hockey system. Come to think of it, him and Heatley are both equally "German", the difference is one decided to play for Canada, the other decided to play for Germany, which is understandable given that playing hockey for South Africa would have been less than fruitful.

you forgot that Draisaitl is garbage and only produces thanks to McDavid. Your doomy and gloomy post is not doomy enough.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
1. Tim Stutzle is on the Horizon.
2. What German hockey players are doing now will inspire future generations to play hockey, especially with the Silver Germany won in 2018.
Yeah, I doubt this. There is very very little coverage on hockey in Germany. That silver probably got a line or two between a gold in bobsled and a bronze in biathlon.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah, I doubt this. There is very very little coverage on hockey in Germany. That silver probably got a line or two between a gold in bobsled and a bronze in biathlon.

I lived in Germany for 27 years and never has hockey been anything more than a blip or afterthought even when Team Germany played well. Hockey just isnt big in Germany, generational talent or not.

Reactions: Beantown Beatdown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad