Speculation: The Rise and Fall of Alexander Galchenyuk

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
Hey guys, I put together a video discussing Alexander Galchenyuk, and how Leaf fans should be a little optimistic about him moving forward. Hes only 27 years old, but he's been around the league since he was very young, and put up some impressive numbers in the past.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Cheers, and I hope the best for Galchenyuk and his career.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Not a bad video. Gives a quick and accurate history.

Some thoughts: Not sure why you have video game footage for the video with just voice over. I'd rather see who I'm listening to, or maybe just clips/pictures of whatever's being discussed at the moment.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
Not a bad video. Gives a quick and accurate history.

Some thoughts: Not sure why you have video game footage for the video with just voice over. I'd rather see who I'm listening to, or maybe just clips/pictures of whatever's being discussed at the moment.

Hey dude, thanks for watching, and thanks for the feedback! I will take this into consideration for the future, I am actually about to buy a camera for the future and have myself on the screen, with a hockey background.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Hey dude, thanks for watching, and thanks for the feedback! I will take this into consideration for the future, I am actually about to buy a camera for the future and have myself on the screen, with a hockey background.

Thanks! I'd say your production value and viewer engagement will improve substantially with that change. It sounds like a good plan.

Keep it up, I like your content.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs and Dubas are building a pretty good culture. If you were a fringe player, would you be afraid to sign with the Leafs after they made sure Josh Leivo was taken care of? If you were a Russian player, would you be afraid to sign with the Leafs after seeing how many chances they've given players that did? Would you worry about how they'd treat you if hurt like Mikheyev?

The Leafs are taking a player who we know has been in detox for addiction issues and working with him. They aren't throwing him to the wolves in a selfish attempt to see if they can exploit him or not, and if it doesn't work, toss him aside like a piece of trash. They're working at fixing him. If it takes time, so be it. We hear about players wanting to play for their hometown team, but the simple fact is, Toronto has always been there.... but players have not. Toronto is becoming a sought after destination for more then just $. Even if Galchenyk fails, the Leafs end up looking like gold here.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
The Leafs and Dubas are building a pretty good culture. If you were a fringe player, would you be afraid to sign with the Leafs after they made sure Josh Leivo was taken care of? If you were a Russian player, would you be afraid to sign with the Leafs after seeing how many chances they've given players that did? Would you worry about how they'd treat you if hurt like Mikheyev?

The Leafs are taking a player who we know has been in detox for addiction issues and working with him. They aren't throwing him to the wolves in a selfish attempt to see if they can exploit him or not, and if it doesn't work, toss him aside like a piece of trash. They're working at fixing him. If it takes time, so be it. We hear about players wanting to play for their hometown team, but the simple fact is, Toronto has always been there.... but players have not. Toronto is becoming a sought after destination for more then just $. Even if Galchenyk fails, the Leafs end up looking like gold here.
Great post

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hey guys, I put together a video discussing Alexander Galchenyuk, and how Leaf fans should be a little optimistic about him moving forward. Hes only 27 years old, but he's been around the league since he was very young, and put up some impressive numbers in the past.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Cheers, and I hope the best for Galchenyuk and his career.

Nice video. I think it could benefit from maybe showing some actual gameplay clips of the player instead of the video game.

Good breakdown though!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Leafs are weak at center and may very well lose Kerfoot in the expansion draft. So the trade makes sense for next year. That being said, we overpaid but Ke
Korshkov was a Hunter pick. It's common for new GMs to clean house. We are still loaded on the wings, so he may have never had a chance here anyway. Give this one year and let's see.

Reactions: The Cobra

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Come on Sheldon, sit Engvall who can skate, but is a our version of Philip Danault on the offensive end and put Gally in there to see what he's got left.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Galchenyuk may be salvageable as a winger. Longshot but maybe.

But he never was and never will be a center.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Couple things.
A) If you're gonna be in the A, there are worse places than Toronto.
B) We've repeatedly shown we'll take care of players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This Galchenyuk reclamation project feels like an experiment in skills development as much as it is about the player himself. It's like the Leafs organization want to teach themselves what it would be like to rebuild and reprogram an athlete the way a baseball team might send a pitcher back to A ball to rebuild mechanics.

And if they can do it with Galchenyuk, they could probably do it with anybody in the years to come, for example, Bennett, Zacha, Puljujarvi, Juolevi or any gifted top 10 athlete who didn't make fulfill their potential. Opens up a new talent stream.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Galchenyuk was never a great skater, but all those knee injuries made him alter his skating stride for the worse. I don't know that the Leafs can fix his skating stride in such a short period of time but who knows.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This Galchenyuk reclamation project feels like an experiment in skills development as much as it is about the player himself. It's like the Leafs organization want to teach themselves what it would be like to rebuild and reprogram an athlete the way a baseball team might send a pitcher back to A ball to rebuild mechanics.

And if they can do it with Galchenyuk, they could probably do it with anybody in the years to come, for example, Bennett, Zacha, Puljujarvi, Juolevi or any gifted top 10 athlete who didn't make fulfill their potential. Opens up a new talent stream.
Disagree with this. There's only 30 games left to play and Galchenyuk is a pending UFA. He's a 27 year old here as depth and he's probably gone in July regardless of how he plays.

If he plays well, he'll ask for more money and we won't be able to afford it because we're permanently tight against the cap. If he plays bad, they just won't even bother attempting to re-sign.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he could get his shot soon if he plays well, or any forward on the marlies...i have seen enough of vesey so he can sit, barabanov has looked ok recently but its not like he cant sit...i wanna see what we got

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Best time to add him to the roster would be the second half of the season - 5 games from now. They can work on the team chemistry and how he would fit in it and see if he can benefit us for postseason

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
he could get his shot soon if he plays well, or any forward on the marlies...i have seen enough of vesey so he can sit, barabanov has looked ok recently but its not like he cant sit...i wanna see what we got

exactly !
vesey is total garbage and doesnt deserve to be playing even on the fourth line.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Disagree with this. There's only 30 games left to play and Galchenyuk is a pending UFA. He's a 27 year old here as depth and he's probably gone in July regardless of how he plays.

If he plays well, he'll ask for more money and we won't be able to afford it because we're permanently tight against the cap. If he plays bad, they just won't even bother attempting to re-sign.
Regardless of how Galchenyuk plays, there’s 30 games left, he isn’t about to get a raise lol

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The Leafs are weak at center and may very well lose Kerfoot in the expansion draft. So the trade makes sense for next year. That being said, we overpaid but Ke
Korshkov was a Hunter pick. It's common for new GMs to clean house. We are still loaded on the wings, so he may have never had a chance here anyway. Give this one year and let's see.

Korshkov will win cups with Carolina

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

How bout a little confidence here and retitle the thread
"The Rise and Fall and the Rise back to Glory of Alexander Galchenyuk

proper thing:thumbu:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Watched his one game with the Marlies. Skills wise, he definitely looked a cut above most of the players. His assist was an awesome pass.
Hard to say, but I'd give a long look with the Marlies and see how he takes it all/shows up. As someone else posted, if you;re going to be in the AHL - Toronto is probably the best place to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad