TV: The Righteous Gemstones

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Awesome as usual from DB. Previews show Walton Goggins as well. Seems a lot like Vice Principals, which was gold.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It's Vice Principals, but with John Goodman and Adam Devine, so...sold.

First episode was good but not great imo. But it sets up some interesting plot lines.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
It's Vice Principals, but with John Goodman and Adam Devine, so...sold.

First episode was good but not great imo. But it sets up some interesting plot lines.

The murder of those extortionists was hilarious.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The murder of those extortionists was hilarious.

I live in Charleston where they film. My wife and I have spent soooo much time at that At Home in that parking lot (but not at Rimtyme). It just makes it all the more hilarious and surreal.

The mega church is the local coliseum where our ECHL team plays. I used to work for them as their video person so I now the arena really well and the CGI they did to make it huge and churchy/gawdy is so good.

Reactions: TD Charlie

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Was a solid first episode. A lot of quirky bits that I am not sure will work over the course of a season but am definitely curious.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You either like McBride's stuff or you don't. No in between.

I agree with you, he's quite polarizing. Having said that - I dislike him, but loved Vice Principals and the first 2 seasons of Eastbound. Funny is Funny.

Walton Goggins, on the other hand, is simply awesome. He can do menacing and funny equally well, and I'm looking forward to him joining this show.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Walton Goggins, on the other hand, is simply awesome. He can do menacing and funny equally well, and I'm looking forward to him joining this show.

I did a lot of work on Season 2 of Vice Principals. Goggins and McBride were both phenomenal guys and easy to deal with. Goggins loved working in comedy but he was constantly deferring to McBride on what he thought would be the best for a comedic take or angle for a given moment. He’d put his own Goggins twist on it but admitted to being out of an element. “You’re the comedy guy here, I’m along for the ride.” But they played so well together, you can tell the friendship they actually have makes them run.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It was ok but didn't love it. Only scene I really burst out laughing at is when they killed those blackmailers.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I did a lot of work on Season 2 of Vice Principals. Goggins and McBride were both phenomenal guys and easy to deal with. Goggins loved working in comedy but he was constantly deferring to McBride on what he thought would be the best for a comedic take or angle for a given moment. He’d put his own Goggins twist on it but admitted to being out of an element. “You’re the comedy guy here, I’m along for the ride.” But they played so well together, you can tell the friendship they actually have makes them run.

Great to hear. I love McBride's style and Goggins is still an underrated talent imo. And to add, David Gordon Green, another one of McBride's business "partner/friends" has been catching my eye with his work and choices lately, and Pineapple Express was one of my favorite Rogen films.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I agree with you, he's quite polarizing. Having said that - I dislike him, but loved Vice Principals and the first 2 seasons of Eastbound. Funny is Funny.

Agreed. I’m not huge on EBAD, but Vice Principals was amazing start to finish and so far I’m hooked on the Gemstones. Goggins was hardly used in the latest episode, and as far as I’m concerned this show will never have too much Baby Billy

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
The “megachurch” in Righteous Gemstones is also the local arena for our ECHL team in Charleston. This is fine and dandy except two years ago HBO signed a contract to use the coliseum in mid-June for seasons 2 and 3 (now filming).

And then COVID hit.

The contracts are still being honored. And the ECHL season goes on longer than it ever has. So now the South Carolina Stingrays are playing their Kelly Cup Playoffs in the local beer league rink, the Carolina Ice Palace, hosting maybe 700 people.

They still won last night, defeating #1 Florida in OT.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just finished binging this show and catching up. I love it. It has some great characters. Huge fans of Baby Billy, BJ and Keefe.

Love the satirical takes on Catholicism.

Reactions: Kreator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad